gunnarsport

Letting a permit expire...

Hi,

Just wondering...

Has anyone here ever let a permit expire either because they have lost interest, really don't need another handgun, or just don't have the funds?? I have a permit that expires in 5 days

and I really don't have the need for anyone handgun. I currently have 3...a S&W M&P .22, a S&W M&P 9mm full size and the Ruger GP100 .357 revolver.

Thanks

I did once. Couldn't find what I wanted at a decent price. This time I bought 2 of 3 handguns before permits were issued. My 90 day clock was delayed. Starts July 10th. I plan on using #3 this time but if I can't find what I want at a good price I will let it expire again. I would rather lose $2 than over pay $100.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I had 3 PTP's expire, issued same time as my FID.  Didn't realize they were only good for 3 months at a time. Only realized after sending paperwork to FFL after purchasing HG.  Had to go through the whole process over again, 6 weeks later I was approved for 3 more.  And was able to pick up purchase. 

Made sure to not let 2 remaining PTP's expire.  Renewed for another 3 months.  

Was awfully disappointing realizing the ordeal one must go through to purchase HG in NJ.  

• Like 1

What's "OGAM"??

Its that big creature standing in your way asking what is your favorite color! [emoji6]

Everybody now: Neet! Neet! Neet! Neet!

[emoji51][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used to never let a permit expire but have recently done so me am starting to reduce my collection.  Here's a good article on the argument for fewer guns and more expertise   Buy once, cry once.. etc

I definitely went through the phase where I built several AR's and had to have one of each handgun.  But now, I would rather just keep it simple with a few high quality pieces and the invest in training and range ammo

http://www.luckygunner.com/lounge/fewer-guns-more-expertise/

• Like 1

I used to never let a permit expire but have recently done so me am starting to reduce my collection.  Here's a good article on the argument for fewer guns and more expertise   Buy once, cry once.. etc I definitely went through the phase where I built several AR's and had to have one of each handgun.  But now, I would rather just keep it simple with a few high quality pieces and the invest in training and range ammo

I've been considering the same thing. I have quite a few different pistols of the same caliber. Thin the herd to a select few, buy an expensive one or two I've always wanted. And unless something latest and greatest that fills a gap, worry then.

Same thing with my rifles. More ARs then I need.

Look at it this way, your safe will never get over stuffed.

-BUT- when I get out of this hell hole of a state, all bets are off. [emoji16]

PS: Thanks for sharing the article. Seems spot on for some folks like me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I never let a permit expire, since I usually had guns lined up prior to applying...

But considering I'm probably leaving NJ in the very near future, I kind of want to get one to frame as a memento. If NAA gets that Ranger II out, I'd just add an additional permit to the list. $2 isn't bad, but not worth the background fee, unless I'm getting something.

4 hours ago, capt14k said:

I did once. Couldn't find what I wanted at a decent price. This time I bought 2 of 3 handguns before permits were issued. My 90 day clock was delayed. Starts July 10th. I plan on using #3 this time but if I can't find what I want at a good price I will let it expire again. I would rather lose $2 than over pay $100.

I let the last one I ever had (which had already been extended) expire, only because I was in the process of moving to FL, and I figured I could wait until I got down there to buy my next gun. I figured I'd mount it (the P2P) as a souvenir, a reminder of what I had to go through... :)

I never let any permits expire, since I go through the "process" of applying for them. Back in Dec 2012, soon after Pres. Obama was re-elected, I put in for 2 permits. I knew that I wanted to get some variation of the S&W M&P 40. I actually found a 40 Pro Series with the 5" barrel & fiber optic front sight. I put a deposit on it at the gun store, & waited to get my permits. I got them in Jan 2013, when the extreme panic buying was setting in, & went to the store to pay the balance & do the NICS check. It took about 1 week for the check to come back. I then looked around for something to buy with the 2nd permit, not sure what I really wanted. At another gun store, I found a new Glock 19 Gen 4, for a very good price, so I decided to get it, since I already had a 23, 40 cal. I figured that you cannot go wrong to have a Glock 19 in your collection, for a great, & extremely reliable 9mm pistol for indoor range use. I still have both of these guns & really do like them a lot. 

14 minutes ago, WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot said:

I used to never let a permit expire but have recently done so me am starting to reduce my collection.  Here's a good article on the argument for fewer guns and more expertise   Buy once, cry once.. etc

I definitely went through the phase where I built several AR's and had to have one of each handgun.  But now, I would rather just keep it simple with a few high quality pieces and the invest in training and range ammo

Thank you for posting this article! It really clicked with me. As a beginner, I'm still figuring out my strategy and it was refreshing to see this "buy fewer, but buy better and train more" viewpoint. It makes sense to me and makes me feel I'm on the right path (for ME anyway) --- to try out many firearms/shooting sports, figure out exactly which 1 or 2 shooting sports I'm MOST interested in, and outfit myself ONLY for those. It's also a good reminder that training (not just practice) should be factored into my budget. ( @High Exposurehas mentioned that last point emphatically a few times too. Seems like spot-on advice).

I know myself... and I have a "collector mindset" with a few of my other hobbies, but I don't want to go down that rabbit hole with this hobby too. If I start buying firearms based on finish, color, newest model, need a new caliber, etc. --- I'll soon be in the poorhouse. For example, I could sooooo see myself with a sweet collection of antique derringers - for whatever reason, I JUST LOVE THOSE! But NOPE! ...ain't gonna do it!! (OK, maybe just ONE... they're so teensy after all.... easy enough to squeeze in a safe, right? See how incredibly weak I am? LOL.)

Still, I'd rather try to judiciously limit my collection from the get-go rather than have to reduce a collection at a later date. At the price of 2 bucks, I'm not going to bat an eye about permits expiring. It's chump change. (There. I'm now on the record. That should help rein me in).

Mind you, I'm not criticizing those of you who are enthusiastic buyers and collectors. If you can afford it... go for it! At least guns seems to hold or even increase in value. So, you see, you're really not spending... you're INVESTING WISELY... (see how nicely I put that? Don't you feel better? Now, everyone, go invest wisely... use all those permits!) :D

• Like 1

Im told, by some, I NEED a .45 ACP, since I have a .22, 9mm and .357 revolver.

.45ACP and 7.62x25. I also like .40S&W but many others will call it short and weak.

1 minute ago, capt14k said:

.45ACP and 7.62x25. I also like .40S&W but many others will call it short and weak.

If you like it that's all that matters. 

@Mrs. Peel you don't collect on look, caliber, or color you collect history. Come over to the dark side and forget these new fangled plastic guns. Start collecting Military Pistols then you really can go broke. Plenty of calibers to choose from.

• Like 1

Just now, capt14k said:

@Mrs. Peel you don't collect on look, caliber, or color you collect on history. Come over to the dark side and forget these new fangled plastic guns. Start collecting Military Pistols then you really can go broke. Plenty of calibers to choose from.

Do NOT even tempt me! I have a fascination for ALL antiques --- (1875 to 1925 being my sweet spot for collectibles). I'm sure I could get myself into serious trouble with the "old stuff." 

I will just look away. I don't see you. I don't hear you. I am strong, not weak. :facepalm:

I'm starting to lean towards a Chilean Contract M1912 Steyr Hahn for my 3rd permit. It's not your standard 9mm it's 9x23mm Steyr. Has a cool Chilean Crest. Price is reasonable at around $600. Fits right into your time frame @Mrs. Peel

3 minutes ago, capt14k said:

I'm starting to lean towards a Chilean Contract M1912 Steyr Hahn for my 3rd permit. It's not your standard 9mm it's 9x23mm Steyr. Has a cool Chilean Crest. Price is reasonable at around $600. Fits right into your time frame @Mrs. Peel

Damn you and your evil seductive ways... now I'll have to Google that gun and see what I'm missing. LOL. I'm sorry, but I may have to block you soon if you continue down this very wrong path. :D 

Blah... just get a Glock 19 like everyone else. [emoji23]