Sign in to follow this  
Displaced Texan

PSA: check your fire pits before you light them

My wife and I were going to hang by the fire pit this evening, and relax and have a glass of wine or three. We were looking forward to a nice evening together. 

I had stacked wood in the pit about a week ago, in anticipation of this evening. When I lit it off tonight, I heard a high pitched squealing....to my horror, I saw a rabbit had built a nest in my kindling, and had 3 babies. 
I reached in the fire and pulled them all out. Looks like 2 survived, but one didn't make it. Never imagined a rabbit would have been able to get into my fire pit, much less have a litter in it. 

I'm an outdoorsman, and a hunter, and while I've killed my share of game in my life, I would never purposely kill any animal like that. Horrible way to die. 

Check your fire pits before you light them, ladies and gentlemen. 

I always check our propane grill before lighting it up. We've had at least three mouse nests in there over the last 10 years. Fortunately there were never any babies in it, so I could just clean it out and send the adults on their way.

Full disclosure: if they get into my house or garage they're dead.

• Like 1

I've done that too. Horrible. One bunny escaped the mower with only the tops of his ears lopped off. We saw him around here as an adult for nearly a year. He always gave me an evil look....

I think the hawks eventually got him. 

29 minutes ago, tomk62 said:

Had a similar unfortunate incident a few springs ago with a mower and an in-ground bunny nest. Didn't see them until they all ran but it was too late. Felt sick for a week over that. 

Ya tomcat, it's a bad day

My dachshund made 'friends' with this little guy yesterday. He was in my neighbors yard. My dog scooped up the little baby bunny in her mouth and immediately spit it out. She gave me a look like, 'that wasn't what I thought it was, dad'. I about hurt myself laughing at her. 

The bunny, while unharmed, was a little bit annoyed. 

IMG_8885.JPG

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Displaced Texan said:

My dachshund made 'friends' with this little guy yesterday. He was in my neighbors yard. My dog scooped up the little baby bunny in her mouth and immediately spit it out. She gave me a look like, 'that wasn't what I thought it was, dad'. I about hurt myself laughing at her. 

The bunny, while unharmed, was a little bit annoyed. 

IMG_8885.JPG

That's Thumper dude!