gleninjersey

How To Fight Murphy

98 posts in this topic

Okay, enough with the negativity.  Let's hear some ideas on ways to beat Murphy.

Obviously we can't simply center of gun laws.  Guns in NJ is a very small subculture (BlueLineFinish makes up most of it :) ).  

What are messages that we should be getting out there in everyday convesations to make NJ voters think, "Maybe I shouldn't vote for this Murphy guy?"   Ya' know your friends, relatives, co-workers, drinkimg buddies, shopping partners, other parents you see and talk to at your kid's school, etc.

Obviosly one of the largest concerns for NJ voters is money / taxes.  I'm fairly certain, and will verify with facts later, that Murphy has already publicly said he WILL raise taxes.  That we NEED to raise more taxes.  Any sound bite or quote from him stating this needs to be repeated by Kim's team over and over and over again.  NJ tax payers are already one of the most heavily taxed in the country.  Enough already!

What else ya' got?  What other platforms should Murphy be attacked on?  

He's an inner member of the "the evil investment banking world' that lefties seem to love to hate.  A very old rich, white guy......so he's gotta be evil, right (sarcasm off).

Is he from Jersey?  Is he a transplant and not even a native.  Does he call it "Taylor Ham" and not pork.roll (gasp!).  That could actually be a thing.  Has this elitist, rich, banking guy EVER eaten a Pork Roll, Egg and cheese on a bun with salt, pepper, ketchup?  If not, he's not a real Jersyian.

What else ya' all got?  

1 person likes this

He basically bought his way into the primary/election. 

Used his money to buy the support of the rich elite 

he's pro-MJ legalization so he's bought the support of that constituency as well. 

Focus on the middle demographic. He's a typical NJ politician buying his way through and doesn't represent, or even KNOW what the middle class has to deal with to live here.  Hammer him on how he represents the big machine and how he will do nothing to encourage new/small business in this state. 

The problem is that while I've hear many people say they don't like him or what he represents, they hate Kim and this shadow of Christie worse. 

2 people like this

1) Glen, you were doing fine until your cruel and unwarranted Taylor Ham smear. Shameful! Why would you go there?

2) Not only should any effort not "center" on guns, but I would take that a step further... in public venues the gun topic should be avoided like the plague. That issue only whips up the opposition, and numbers-wise, they're bigger. So the backlash would kill us. Any gun-related arguments (like flyers to be posted?) should be more of a "stealth campaign" sent directly to NJ's network of ranges and FFLs, etc. That's where NJ's pro-2A organizations should be harnessed for their help.

3) Taxes --- taxes --- taxes! It's the one issue that resonates regardless of party, county, gender, etc. Even renters can be made to understand that high property taxes inflate their rent because the property owner passes the tax expense along.... The driving argument IMO should be NJ is just too expensive in general because of taxes "and this guy will raise them even higher!"

4) I don't think personally that the "rich white guy from Wall Street" angle will work --- because the Democratic party is happy to overlook the evils of old rich investors when it's... George Soros, for instance?  Don't attack who Murphy is... attack what he will do: raise taxes.

5) If he indeed has talked about raising taxes... getting those quotes and putting them into simple but impactful YouTube videos, tweets, emails, etc. would be the way to go. (Using his none-too-attractive mug whenever possible). The issue is... has he really been dumb enough to make those statements on record? He's new to politics, so it's possible.

6) And, this is the larger concern... Guadagno needs to seriously distance herself from Christie more. And she needs to be more visible. What is she doing? What is she waiting for?  She's in a perfect position to generate good PR from her current position --- why isn't it happening? That's what I'm wondering!

5 people like this

8 hours ago, voyager9 said:

He basically bought his way into the primary/election. 

Used his money to buy the support of the rich elite 

he's pro-MJ legalization so he's bought the support of that constituency as well. 

Focus on the middle demographic. He's a typical NJ politician buying his way through and doesn't represent, or even KNOW what the middle class has to deal with to live here.  Hammer him on how he represents the big machine and how he will do nothing to encourage new/small business in this state. 

The problem is that while I've hear many people say they don't like him or what he represents, they hate Kim and this shadow of Christie worse. 

Kim should be pro legalization, at least in the campaign, to neutralize the advantage that he has there.

2 people like this

1 hour ago, Fred2 said:

Kim should be pro legalization, at least in the campaign, to neutralize the advantage that he has there.

I could care less. But this is a big one.

incarceration and tax revenue 

Unless Silent Kim changes the her political view on legalizing marijuana, sadly I think she has no chance. Christie has done everything he possibly can to sink the RINO party in the PRNJ for the next 20 years. 

But back to Murphy....

We all need to focus on his plans to raise all of our taxes. He has said he wants to:

1) Raise the gas tax

2) Raise the sales tax

3) Protect sanctuary cities

4) Fully fund pre-k schooling

5) Raise minimum wage to $ 15 per hour

All of these things will sink the PRNJ further into the abyss. With the full Senate and Assembly behind him, I cannot fathom the damage he will cause to this state. And that is before he even burdens us with the NJ Safe Act. 

4 people like this

Considering having some bumper stickers made:

"If Murphy wins, your property tax bill loses"

"Murphy = Corzine round 2"

"Vote for Murphy - if you really think you need to pay more taxes."

"Murphy will take and burn what NJ earns"

3 people like this

I concur, Kim doesn't have the issues on her side to win, at least the ones people show up to vote for in this state. Even her tax plan has major holes in it that wont engage people to show up and vote to keep taxes low. 

If she changed her position on legalization, she would in effect cut a major issue out of the race. That's huge for revenue and the justice system, and enough people in the state support it. 

I don't think we're going to smear Murphy into losing. We have to beat him on the issues with real solutions... Making this a difficult race.

Murphy has to much support from people who will gain much under his term. The only way to win is for Kim to gain support from those impacted by taxes, and those who don't stand to gain under Murphy. I know a few people who would vote Murphy just over legalization, a lot of single issue votes there.

2 people like this

On 7/17/2017 at 1:15 AM, DirtyDigz said:

Considering having some bumper stickers made:

"If Murphy wins, your property tax bill loses"

"Murphy = Corzine round 2"

"Vote for Murphy - if you really think you need to pay more taxes."

"Murphy will take and burn what NJ earns"

Good slogans!

1 person likes this

Murphy came out of the gate early with a heaping of progressive support. Kim was late to the dance, hidden in Christie's shadow. Anything Kim can say that could be positive for the state is offset whenever Christie opens his mouth and drives another nail into her GOP coffin. 

2 people like this

2 hours ago, Parker said:

Murphy came out of the gate early with a heaping of progressive support. Kim was late to the dance, hidden in Christie's shadow. Anything Kim can say that could be positive for the state is offset whenever Christie opens his mouth and drives another nail into her GOP coffin. 

From what I understand, his handlers do not want him talking to the " public ".... So much for WE THE PEOPLE 

3 hours ago, Zeke said:

From what I understand, his handlers do not want him talking to the " public ".... So much for WE THE PEOPLE 

The gates shall be opened on the summer solstice and the masses shall prostrate themselves upon the alter of the sun god

10 minutes ago, voyager9 said:

The gates shall be opened on the summer solstice and the masses shall prostrate themselves upon the alter of the sun god

'Tis whimsical thou thinks this.

but seriously, dude is a carpet bagger. It's more of the same Norcross type bleeding the people. And the people are leaving, vs fighting.

as an aside, it's very frustrating 

Just now, Zeke said:

'Tis whimsical thou thinks this.

but seriously, dude is a carpet bagger. It's more of the same Norcross type bleeding the people. And the people are leaving, vs fighting.

as an aside, it's very frustrating 

Why?  Because he just moved from Germany to run?  Because he is a Wall Street banker?  Because our already fucked up democratic establishment bent over to get him to run?  He's a poster child for poster childs. And it doesn't matter. Because despite all that Kim is nothing except a smear in Christie's tighty whities. 

1 person likes this

2 minutes ago, voyager9 said:

Why?  Because he just moved from Germany to run?  Because he is a Wall Street banker?  Because our already fucked up democratic establishment bent over to get him to run?  He's a poster child for poster childs. And it doesn't matter. Because despite all that Kim is nothing except a smear in Christie's tighty whities. 

Exactly 

Kim needs to attack Christie any chance she can. Hold a news conference to tell the world how much she couldn't stand working with the RINO POS, how he is an arrogant J.O., etc.

Take marijuana legalization issue out of the race by simply stating I will not veto a marijuana legalization Bill.

Non stop negative ads about Murphy comparing him to Corzine and showing in dollars and cents what his new taxes will do to the people of NJ.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

1 person likes this

Look lets face the  Truth, Dumbocrat Murphy will win and the the sheeples will clap and cheer. He will raise taxes , sales taxes whatever he can push through. Guns are on his hit list as is the climate change fraud. Lets face it, its time to get out. I'm looking as we speak to move to a gun friendly state. I can retire soon so it makes my decision easier.I know  with younger children ,school , jobs it's tough. I had enough fought Florio and lost we will never be where we want to be as long as the progressives are running the show.

1 person likes this

On 7/10/2017 at 7:28 AM, gleninjersey said:

Okay, enough with the negativity.  Let's hear some ideas on ways to beat Murphy.

Obviously we can't simply center of gun laws.  Guns in NJ is a very small subculture (BlueLineFinish makes up most of it :) ).  

What are messages that we should be getting out there in everyday convesations to make NJ voters think, "Maybe I shouldn't vote for this Murphy guy?"   Ya' know your friends, relatives, co-workers, drinkimg buddies, shopping partners, other parents you see and talk to at your kid's school, etc.

Obviosly one of the largest concerns for NJ voters is money / taxes.  I'm fairly certain, and will verify with facts later, that Murphy has already publicly said he WILL raise taxes.  That we NEED to raise more taxes.  Any sound bite or quote from him stating this needs to be repeated by Kim's team over and over and over again.  NJ tax payers are already one of the most heavily taxed in the country.  Enough already!

What else ya' got?  What other platforms should Murphy be attacked on?  

He's an inner member of the "the evil investment banking world' that lefties seem to love to hate.  A very old rich, white guy......so he's gotta be evil, right (sarcasm off).

Is he from Jersey?  Is he a transplant and not even a native.  Does he call it "Taylor Ham" and not pork.roll (gasp!).  That could actually be a thing.  Has this elitist, rich, banking guy EVER eaten a Pork Roll, Egg and cheese on a bun with salt, pepper, ketchup?  If not, he's not a real Jersyian.

What else ya' all got?  

Here are some points taken straight from Wikipedia that are not Gun realated:

Murphy began his career with a summer associate internship at Goldman Sachs in 1982.[7][14] He was hired after graduating in 1983.[18] He rose in the ranks quickly due to what he later attributed as his ability to make deals

Corzine again?

Phil Murphy was born and raised in the Boston metropolitan area,[4] in particular growing up in Needham, Massachusetts[5] and also inNewton, Massachusetts

Not from NJ

Murphy was named by Acting Governor Richard Codey to Chair the New Jersey Benefits Task Force, on public sector employee benefits in his home State of New Jersey, in response to the New Jersey pension crisis

And how are those pension problems doing now?

Murphy served as United States Ambassador to Germany under President Barack Obama from 2009–2013

An Obama appointee

Phil Murphy was also a big donor to Democratic candidates on a personal basis, giving almost $1.5 million to such candidates by 2009

Oh, well no wonder he’s an Obama appointee

Murphy was mentioned as a potential candidate in the New Jersey gubernatorial election, 2013, but did not run.[8][43] Rather, upon returning to the states he returned to Murphy Endeavors LLC, a business management consultancy firm, of which he was the principal, with offices in Red Bank, New Jersey

Of course, money first, public service second

Announcing his running for Governor so early was an unusual act.[48] Comparisons with unpopular former governor Jon Corzine, another wealthy former Goldman Sachs executive, has been a challenge Murphy must meet.

Yup. Corzine again

Wisniewski savaged the front-runner, Phil Murphy, accusing him during the 90-minute televised contest of buying off party bosses and being disingenuous on environmental issues."[76] Subsequent campaigning by those three continued to emphasize the notion that Murphy was "buying" the election.

1.5 Million in DNC donations? Heck I won’t call that buying party bosses, would you?

Murphy's position at Goldman Sachs when the firm had its IPO made his net worth top $50 million

Did I say Corzine again?

What's that expression... something about the only way to ruin a politician these days is to find him in bed with a dead woman or a live boy? I hate to say it, but THAT would be really helpful right about now. Maybe I'm cynical, but wouldn't it be the unusual uber-rich, powerful guy who didn't have at least some skeletons in his closet? Is anyone doing some deep-dive opposition research on this guy? Hell, even getting him on tape making some stupid statements couldn't hurt.

Never forget "2 Americas" John Edwards --- the right dirt at the right time can implode ANY campaign. Edwards was looking like a golden boy - practically anointed by the press - and his political career ended in total shame. Utter destruction..

Right now, Murphy is looking like a juggernaut. If the reports of his running mate are correct -- he has (wisely) picked a popular Essex County African-American woman born and raised in Newark. That's a one-two punch. I think there needs to be a release of some AWFUL intel to throw this fast-moving train off the track.

13 minutes ago, Mrs. Peel said:

What's that expression... something about the only way to ruin a politician these days is to find him in bed with a dead woman or a live boy? I hate to say it, but THAT would be really helpful right about now. Maybe I'm cynical, but wouldn't it be the unusual uber-rich, powerful guy who didn't have at least some skeletons in his closet? Is anyone doing some deep-dive opposition research on this guy? Hell, even getting him on tape making some stupid statements couldn't hurt.

Never forget "2 Americas" John Edwards --- the right dirt at the right time can implode ANY campaign. Edwards was looking like a golden boy - practically anointed by the press - and his political career ended in total shame. Utter destruction..

Right now, Murphy is looking like a juggernaut. If the reports of his running mate are correct -- he has (wisely) picked a popular Essex County African-American woman born and raised in Newark. That's a one-two punch. I think there needs to be a release of some AWFUL intel to throw this fast-moving train off the track.

The polls.... lol.

In regards to legalization. If you spread the word among your more liberal friends that KG plans to do that while Murphy will only raise the gas tax, the effect will happen regardless of KG actual stance. I know its less than honest. But, this is politics. There is no honesty among candidates.

1 person likes this

For the first time tonight (during evening news), I saw ads placed by Guadagno's PAC. Brief but effective, I thought. Just hammered him on raising taxes. So, I guess things are getting started....

1 person likes this

On 8/14/2017 at 1:10 PM, son of sam said:

In regards to legalization. If you spread the word among your more liberal friends that KG plans to do that while Murphy will only raise the gas tax, the effect will happen regardless of KG actual stance. I know its less than honest. But, this is politics. There is no honesty among candidates.

She will not legalize weed just decriminalize.  These are very different things.  

15 hours ago, Mrs. Peel said:

For the first time tonight (during evening news), I saw ads placed by Guadagno's PAC. Brief but effective, I thought. Just hammered him on raising taxes. So, I guess things are getting started....

Yes but her tax cut plan is a fantasy and ill conceived.   

15 minutes ago, Rob0115 said:

She will not legalize weed just decriminalize.  These are very different things.  

Yes but her tax cut plan is a fantasy and I’ll conceived.   

I hear you... but do you really consider yourself the "average" voter? Reading your posts, I sort of doubt it. You sound more well-informed than most. For MOST voters, I think using Murphy's very open and abundant "pro-tax" words against him is as good a strategy as any... probably about as effective as you can get in a state where nearly everyone feel overburdened by taxes of one variety or another. It's definitely his weakest spot IMO.

On 9/16/2017 at 4:03 PM, Mrs. Peel said:

I hear you... but do you really consider yourself the "average" voter? Reading your posts, I sort of doubt it. You sound more well-informed than most. For MOST voters, I think using Murphy's very open and abundant "pro-tax" words against him is as good a strategy as any... probably about as effective as you can get in a state where nearly everyone feel overburdened by taxes of one variety or another. It's definitely his weakest spot IMO.

I wouldn’t consider you the average voter either.  I agree with what you are saying but will the average voter?  Murphy’s snake oil message makes it seem like some small group of unicorns will be the only New Jerseyans to see a tax increase.   You are seeing through but are masses?  We know that he cannot fund all he has promised by just targeting the mythical rich folk.  Additionally, one thing CC has done well is dramatically slow the rate of growth in property taxes.  The 2% cap will expire 1/1/18.  Will Murphy renew it?  He won’t but he won’t say it.  Kim G should call that out and commit to renewing it herself.  

He’s done a great job promising gifts to a lot of constituencies and they are buying it, plain and simple   

She should also discuss school funding reform which will pit democrats against each other.   Look how hotly debated the minor changes Sweeney introduced were.  He simply said if your funding calculation says you should get reduced funding then you get reduced funding.   Imagine a circumstance where we don’t change funding based on formulaic calculations unless it’s going up?   

My issue is she is doing a terrible job getting the message across. And not that I’m a yuuuge believer in polls, but they do have her down by 25% in a state we’re nearly 80% say affordability is the number 1 issue.  

It’s an uphill battle and we will need tremendous turnout to swing this in Kim G’s favor.