TRM9999

Cleaning/oiling 10/22 hammer and trigger assemblies

I saw a video regarding the 10/22 and it said to keep this area dry and that it doesn't need lubrication. It just grabs the blowback. I can see it because I wouldn't take this area apart for every cleaning. ?

I wonder how this applies on the same area for an AR or SW22 V?

I can understand the fascination of taking apart a hammer and trigger assembly of any firearm.  Most of the fascination is being able to get it back together.  The fact is guns don't need to be totally taken apart on a regular basis.  They only need to be taken apart when they're broken.  These mechanisms are not really designed to be taken apart on a regular basis.

To clean out a trigger and hammer assembly you only need to flush it out with some type of solvent.  Make sure you get all the solvent out and lube lightly. 

My 10/22 has survived 40 years of this treatment with all the parts it left the factory.  I've cleaned M16s/ARs/M4s this way for nearly 50 years with no issues.  This includes the rifles being exposed to all types of environmental conditions in serious social situations.

I've never seen a firearm that required more than fieldstripping for regular maintenance.

• Like 2

Eschew from putting lube in the hammer/trigger assembly. For maintenance, you're better off occasionally pulling the bolt assembly out, cleaning those nook and crannies around the top of the barrel inside the receiver, then clean the bolt face and also where the extractor grasps the cartridge, then put a drop or two of oil on the top of the bolt where it contacts the underside of the receiver, drop of oil in the firing pin groove and some oil on the guide rod.