TripleD

Finally Fired My CZ 75 SP-01

I've been researching, renting, and borrowing guns for the past couple of months trying to figure out which semiautomatic, all-metal 9mm pistol I wanted to get.  I have big hands and, despite loving what I read about them, didn't really like how the Sig P226 felt. The Beretta 92 FS felt nice in my hands but had awful sights for my middle-aged eyes, and only the rear sights are replaceable (without messing with the permanently mounted front sight). I tried other guns as well (some polymer) including a S&W and a Springfield. After doing a bunch of research, I noticed that the CZ 75 kept showing up on lists and forums.  It was hard to find a bad thing written about the CZ 75 and it was often recommended for people with large hands.  Unfortunately, I the ranges I went to didn't have one to rent, but I came across one at a local gun shop (Heritage Guild in Rahway - good experience). It's a CZ 75 SP-01.  It's a heavy gun with easy to see night sites, a great grip, and a rail. It felt perfect in my hand.  I didn't like the idea of purchasing a gun without actually trying it first but, after reading only great things about it, watching videos of people shooting/comparing them, and holding it, I pulled the trigger ;).  

Went to the range with a few buddies last night and couldn't have been happier. I'm a novice but shot better than ever with this gun.  My friends, who own Sigs, Glocks, and a Beretta loved it. My buddy who owns a Glock actually looked a little sad that he shot much better with my CZ. All three really liked shooting the SP-01. The weight, in my opinion, helps me to hold the gun steady (much like a weighted utensil for someone who has tremors). The weight also really seems to minimize the recoil and muzzle flip. I didn't have to pause much at all between shots to remain accurate. My shot groups were pretty tight from 7 yards.  I definitely didn't look like a novice and I attribute much of that to how accurate the gun was and how natural it felt in my hands. I had the absolute opposite of buyer's remorse.

Everybody's different, and we all have our preferences, but for those with large hands looking for a quality 9mm, I'd suggest taking a look at a CZ 75.

This is my first post, but I've read quite a bit here over the past few months. I'd like to thank all the members of this forum for taking the time to share information. It's been very helpful.

• Like 1

Congrats on the new SP-01.  I have one and really like it.  They are fairly easy to get parts for and if you really want to improve on it check out CZ Customer and Cagun Gun works for parts and support.  Kind of surprised about your comment that they are good for people with big hands (the Beretta definitely is) as I would say I have average hands and think the gun has a small grip compared to other and find it fits my hands perfectly.  I got rid of my 92FS because the grip was so large I had to rotate my hand and then reacquire my grip to hit the mag release.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Howard said:

Congrats on the new SP-01.  I have one and really like it.  They are fairly easy to get parts for and if you really want to improve on it check out CZ Customer and Cagun Gun works for parts and support.  Kind of surprised about your comment that they are good for people with big hands (the Beretta definitely is) as I would say I have average hands and think the gun has a small grip compared to other and find it fits my hands perfectly.  I got rid of my 92FS because the grip was so large I had to rotate my hand and then reacquire my grip to hit the mag release.

Thanks! Yeah, the Beretta was probably a slightly better fit in my hand size-wise, but the CZ was pretty close and felt much better than the Sig P226 as well as the others (which I felt were too small). The grip, weight, and balance of the CZ, as well as the superior sights, made the decision for me (over the Beretta).  You're definitely right that the Beretta is probably the best fit for a big hand, and is a very nice gun.  I just preferred the overall feel of the CZ and it felt like it fit in my palm better than all the others (except the Beretta).

• Like 1

My SP-01 and the CZ compact PCR are my 2 favorite guns to shoot and like you I bought the SP-01 without ever firing it.  Just did a lot of reading and watched videos and as soon as I held it in my hand it just felt perfect so I bought it right away.  Such a great gun.....enjoy it!

• Like 1

On 7/17/2017 at 6:57 PM, wadezky said:

My SP-01 and the CZ compact PCR are my 2 favorite guns to shoot and like you I bought the SP-01 without ever firing it.  Just did a lot of reading and watched videos and as soon as I held it in my hand it just felt perfect so I bought it right away.  Such a great gun.....enjoy it!

I just put a deposit on a CZ 75d PCR waiting on 2 permits never shot one but  fit like a glove. I have a CZ 97 BD looking to sell and get a SP01 Tac the 97 BD is just a little to big for my hands. I bought the 97 without trying first also did a lot of reading and utube these CZs are additive and hard to find LOL. 

2 hours ago, Sevenshot said:

I've been interested in an all metal 9 but haven't seen a CZ to put my hands on it yet. Heard nothing but good things! Enjoy!

i don't have large hands and didn't like the beretta. Is there a CZ 75 for medium mitts?

I think Heritage Guild in Easton rents some CZs.  They probably list them online in their rental catalogue.

I have smaller hands and the P01 fits perfectly.  It's in their compact line (with with PCR and the traditional compact) but it's really a medium sized handgun.  Larger than the Rami but smaller than the full size CZ75 and SP01.  I have a full size CZ75 as well and like the P01 better.

Be warned though, CZs can be addictive.  I've been wanting to add one of their 22s rifles to my collection for some time.  Very nice, traditional looking rifles.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sevenshot said:

I've been interested in an all metal 9 but haven't seen a CZ to put my hands on it yet. Heard nothing but good things! Enjoy!

i don't have large hands and didn't like the beretta. Is there a CZ 75 for medium mitts?

The CZ 75 works well for medium hands too. My friends, who have medium hands, love how it feels in their hands. The Beretta has a fuller grip and actually fit my larger hands a little better, but I just loved the overall feel of the CZ and don't regret that purchase for one minute. 

Congrats on the purchase!  I just bought my first CZ 75 (SP-01 Tactical) a few months ago and it's my favorite 9mm!  I went with it because I have small hands with bad arthritis...the weight makes the recoil much more manageable and more accurate follow up shots.  Definitely a smooth shooter and feels good in my hands.  Now I'm just wondering which CZ to purchase next!  Good Luck to you! 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ray Ray said:

How did you even find one?!?  Seriously though, the CZ lineup is underappreciated.

I actually lucked into it. I walked into my local gun shop (Heritage Guild Rahway - Sean is a great guy to deal with) and asked if they had a CZ 75B. They did and had an SP-01 also. It turns out the reason they had the SP-01 was that someone had put down a deposit on it then decided to put the deposit towards a rifle instead. The SP-O1 had night sights, an extended beavertail and a rail which gave it a little more weight in the front compared to the 75B. I liked all of those differences and the SP-01 was only $50 more. I knew from researching that they were not easy to get your hands on so I bought it the next day. Just a great gun IMO. 

• Like 1

I took my brand new Sp-01 to the range 2 days ago, put 200 rounds thru. What should I say, it's like a day after a wedding. The mechanical accuracy of the gun is exactly as advertised. My groups shrunk even at 25 yards. However you start realizing that not everything is bright and shiny.
1. At 25 my groups are slightly off to the left, about an inch. Apparently the rear sight is of by the 0.25mm so that needs to be addressed.
2. After a session I noticed that trigger guard pressed hard against my index finger on weak hand, probably can be fixed if adjust my grip.
3. The most important though SA trigger reset is somewhat long. Few times I didn't release it all the way and off course it wouldn't fire. Again can be fixed with some training or by adjusting an operator or with short trigger reset kit.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I'm in Delran so the closest big gun shop to me is Cheyenne's in Bordentown on rt 130.  Their prices are great on some things and high on others, but they always seem to have CZ's in stock....that's where I got the 2 I already have and I have the permit application  on my desk at work to get 3 more permits so I can buy another CZ.  Or 2.

• Like 1