S&W39

National Reciprocity

38 minutes ago, S&W39 said:

Fine the 2nd amendment, then where was it all these years?

I don't know how old you are or how well you know history.  FDR and the Democrats brought about the NFA.  It was supposed to reduce crime.  It didn't. The JFK, MLK, and RFK assassinations in the 60s along with the rise of violent crime brought about the GCA 68 to reduce crime.  It didn't.  The Democrats have taken every opportunity to keep guns out of the hands of citizens. That's in just the last 75 years or so.

Rights were taken away a bit at a time. Don't expect them all back at once.

• Like 2

I don't expect anything from Washington. I'm old enough to know that a candidate will say anything to get elected and that your judged by actions and not what you say. If your naive enough to buy into political rhetoric that's your choice. I've supported Republicans and the NRA for many years and I've only seen the NJ gun issue get more scrutinized over the years. The NRA flex their muscles in gun friendly states but, in NJ and other anti gun states their influence is weak.

1 hour ago, S&W39 said:

I don't expect anything from Washington. I'm old enough to know that a candidate will say anything to get elected and that your judged by actions and not what you say. If your naive enough to buy into political rhetoric that's your choice. I've supported Republicans and the NRA for many years and I've only seen the NJ gun issue get more scrutinized over the years. The NRA flex their muscles in gun friendly states but, in NJ and other anti gun states their influence is weak.

Not about being naive.  It's about being ready for a positive change.  NJ Republicans need a majority in both houses of the legislature and a Republican Governor to bring about change.  They have no way near that.

The NRA is results driven.  They rather spend money to get positive results. They could throw a lot of money into NJ and achieve nothing.  Their influence in anti gun states is of course weaker than in gun friendly states. That makes it difficult to get things done.

• Like 1

Have you seen what the NRA has done in Kalifornia? They have managed to block every Anti-2A Law passed last year. Many of them were Propositions that were passed with over 60% of the vote.

GRIZ gave a great answer to your other question, but to further expand on his answer the Second Amendment was allowed to be trampled by the same Liberal Activist Justices that legislated from the bench repeatedly. The worst decision being that of Roe v Wade. Not going to get into whether abortion is right or wrong. Just that it was a terrible and unjust decision because it used the 14th Amendment, which was meant to apply only to recently freed male slaves, to strip States of their rights to regulate abortion. Same flawed thinking was applied in Obergefell v Hodges where states were forced to recognize gay marriage due to the 14th Amendment which says nothing about marriage nor does the Constitution even protect the right to marry for heterosexual couples.

Now that SCOTUS is finally swinging the direction of Constitutionalist Justices I expect not only will these bad decisions get overturned, but one of the Rights that is guaranteed in the Constitution will be protected and applied to every state. For if Liberal Justices were able to reach so far with the 14th Amendment, applying the exact wording of the 2nd Amendment will be quite simple.

The comma makes it clear IMO that the intent was to simply state that a well regulated militia is necessary for the security of a free state. To protect us from all tyranny be it foreign or domestic. After the comma or commas depending on which version one reads, the right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed should be read on it's own. Keep and Bear means to own and carry. Shall not be infringed is clear as day. This will nullify carry restrictions, magazine restrictions, and "assault" weapon bans for law abiding citizens.

I believe the Second Amendment was a fail safe in case all the other checks and balances failed. This almost happened during FDR's Presidency. He even tried to pack the court. This is also why both Democrats and Republicans have allowed the Second Amendment to be trampled. It is a threat to a corrupt and tyrannous government and their storm troopers.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

42 minutes ago, capt14k said:

Have you seen what the NRA has done in Kalifornia?  

There's a lot at stake in California with so many gun owners there. There's strength in numbers. Not that the 2A and hunting are related, but California sold more than 6.3 million hunting licenses in 2016. New Jersey is a flea compared to the elephant that is California. 

True and the NRA has hung us out to dry but S&W39 said they have little influence in anti states. On a national level they are the only group getting things done when it comes to 2A.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I supported Republicans right down the row in the last election. Give evidence of how this Republican house works as a cohesive party, because all we see is division and lack of vision. When the Republicans won the house back several years ago where was the opposition to Obama, they gave him a blank check they didn't have to fund Obama care. John Boehner was weak then replaced by Paul Ryan who made Trump squirm for his endorsement and we have good old Mitch McConnell an establishment fixture in the Senate that was never on board with Trump and appears to still not be on board. It's plain as day these guys don't want an outsider to be successful and up stage them. Only in regards to gun issues because that's what this forum is, these are the people who are going to straighten out the convoluted gun laws in this country? Sorry, just don't see it happening and if being realistic is considered sniveling there's no point in a discussion if one can't be intellectually honest.

There are differences in the Republican Party because it works more like the Founding Fathers intended.  You can have a difference of opinion and still be a Republican.  Quite unlike the Democrats where you have to tow the party line or you're toast.  The fact is conservatism is really what most Americans want.  It has to be sold to them though.  The greatest conservative salesman in recent times was Reagan.  That's why he won 49 states in 1984.  He only lost Minnesota by a few thousand votes.  Trump has done nothing close to that.  He has shocked the establishment in DC by winning though.  He's had different political views in the past.  But haven't we all?

Convoluted gun laws in this country?  Sure and you can thank the 10th Amendment for that.  There is a lot more to the COTUS than the 2A.  Yes, Federal laws put restrictions on the 2A but nothing like state laws like those in NJ.  Congress can't fix all the state laws, that's not their job.

I agree with Thomas' and Gorsuch's remarks about SCOTUS refusing to hear the Peruta case.  However that refusal is really a skillful tactic IMO.  Let's wait until next year when Trump will most likely get to appoint another justice and the outcome of a landmark 2A case is more certain.

Being realistic?  It seems more like you're giving up.  Churchill wasn't "realistic" when he became Prime Minister and the outcome of the Battle of Dunkirk was pretty clear.  The clerks, cooks, and other "non-combat" troops that held off the Germans at Bastonge and won the Battle of Saigon in 68 weren't "realistic" either.

If you throw in the towel and accept defeat that's what you'll get.

2 hours ago, S&W39 said:

I supported Republicans right down the row in the last election. Give evidence of how this Republican house works as a cohesive party, because all we see is division and lack of vision. When the Republicans won the house back several years ago where was the opposition to Obama, they gave him a blank check they didn't have to fund Obama care. John Boehner was weak then replaced by Paul Ryan who made Trump squirm for his endorsement and we have good old Mitch McConnell an establishment fixture in the Senate that was never on board with Trump and appears to still not be on board. It's plain as day these guys don't want an outsider to be successful and up stage them. Only in regards to gun issues because that's what this forum is, these are the people who are going to straighten out the convoluted gun laws in this country? Sorry, just don't see it happening and if being realistic is considered sniveling there's no point in a discussion if one can't be intellectually honest.

3 hours ago, S&W39 said:

It's not a discussion when you've already made up your mind.

Its not a discussion when your only perception is that of New Jersey.

Realism vs optimism, hmmn. I jus post the facts jack. 204 thus far. And ATF budget is being cut, to reduce regulation...

things are happening, it's pulling teeth to find it under this Russia crap.

and yes, I am with you in antiestablishmentarism

• Like 2