Zeke

Well this helps some of us. Not all of us.

http://www.nj.com/politics/index.ssf/2017/07/this_new_nj_law_means_almost_anyone_who_ever_wore.html#incart_river_home

Apparently not all Nj badge holders could qualify to bypass justifiable need clause in our unconstitutional law.

what I find interesting is your right to self defense ceases at 75?

Sad but true.  At the May OBRPC meeting, Jack Ciattarelli was there and while talking about 2A rights one of the members who is a retired LEO brought up the fact that he must surrender his carry permit at age 75 while the general public has no such constraint.  Makes no sense ...

7 minutes ago, tomk62 said:

Sad but true.  At the May OBRPC meeting, Jack Ciattarelli was there and while talking about 2A rights one of the members who is a retired LEO brought up the fact that he must surrender his carry permit at age 75 while the general public has no such constraint.  Makes no sense ...

When you say " general public " what exactly do you mean?

Disclaimer:  I did not research any of this myself, just going off what was said in the meeting.

He claimed that us "regular" folk if we're lucky enough to get a carry permit, can carry indefinitely without age restriction, while retired LEOs must surrender theirs at age 75.

2 hours ago, PDM said:

I'll take that trade.  Let me carry now and I'll surrender the permit at 75.

I think you would change your tune when you arrived at that age. I'll be 75 in a few months. If I had a permit to carry I sure would not be ready to give it up. The older I get the more I need a weapon.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, NJJim said:

I think you would change your tune when you arrived at that age. I'll be 75 in a few months. If I had a permit to carry I sure would not be ready to give it up. The older I get the more I need a weapon.

Firearms are the equalizer, until we get lasers or sumtin 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NJJim said:

Yes, but there is zero chance I will be living in nj when i hit 75. 

• Like 1

who does this really help out,  I always thought LEOSA covered any sworn officer anyway?    Am I missing something.

Is this just feel good stuff,     Why didn't anyone hear about this until now.    Something seems fishy.

seems like this might help out of state folks who might have been jacked up during a stop or something who were some level of law enforcement who might not have been covered by leosa?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zeke said:

Ya know I did not read th actual law

No excuse now, Zeke

Here's the bill (A2690) that amends 2C:39-6

It passed the Assembly on a 77-0 vote and was carried in the Senate 28-6 just before Memorial Day weekend.

It takes effect immediately.

Most of the jobs listed in the article are already covered under LEOSA.  This law expands the number of people who can get a NJ Retired Police Officer Carry Permit.

Big deal for most people.  No. But a little at a time.

The 75 age limit will stand until someone argues it on the basis of age discrimination.  That should pretty much be a slam dunk case to win.

Do we have a win-able case against the state for violation of the 14A?

Section 1. All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

They are denying equal protection of the laws....