Stop.

For the money there are better options out there.

The RMR on top is an early 2000's solution for a fixed magnification optic when the magnification will actually slow you down - say 0-75 yards or so. It was a decent option at the time for guy's in Afghanistan where they needed to shoot 600+ yards in the mountains on the way to the objective then switch to CQB type stuff in villages and compounds. It is less than ideal that required a weird and uncomfortable chin weld on the stock. If you go fixed mag optic like an ACOG, you are better off with a 45* mount for your MRDS.

IMO Vortex HD 1-6 is the way to go if you are going to spend that money on an optic for a rifle that you plan on using from 0 to a few hundred yards.

A quality RDS (Aimpoint) will serve you perfectly well from 0 to 100 yards.

• Like 2

Mission drives the gear, not the other way around. 

I now own 4 ACOGs, (the 4th thanks to Zombie..thanks buddy!). They are on my ranch rifles, primarily used for 0-400m...although the 4x dual illumination models COULD be used as a 'red dot' using the Bindon aiming concept. 

If your PRIMARY purpose for your AR is HD, then a red dot type sight probably will suit you better. 

Before you buy ANY optic, get proficient with iron sights. 

Oh, always ask your buddy to try his gear out before you pop open your wallet on anything. 

I have red dot sights too, Zeke!!! 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Displaced Texan said:

Mission drives the gear, not the other way around. 

I now own 4 ACOGs, (the 4th thanks to Zombie..thanks buddy!). They are on my ranch rifles, primarily used for 0-400m...although the 4x dual illumination models COULD be used as a 'red dot' using the Bindon aiming concept. 

If your PRIMARY purpose for your AR is HD, then a red dot type sight probably will suit you better. 

Before you buy ANY optic, get proficient with iron sights. 

Oh, always ask your buddy to try his gear out before you pop open your wallet on anything. 

I have red dot sights too, Zeke!!! 

You and I are going to become intimate I foresee 

I have a 4x ACOG ( and a 1-6 Vortex. The vortex gets used way more than the ACOG. 

That being said my RDS rifles get used the most.

Didn't mean to be rude buddy. The "stop" was to get your attention. You are a big boy and can totally make your own decisions. But, I know how your head works - you go down this rabbit hole and you won't come back and you'll end up with something that doesn't quite suit your needs.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, High Exposure said:

I have a 4x ACOG, and a 1-6 Vortex. The vortex gets used way more than the ACOG. 

My RDS rifles get used the most.

lol!

The "stop" was to get your attention Zeke. I know how your head works - you go down this rabbit hole and you won't come back and you'll end up with something that doesn't quite suit your needs.

You ain't in my head yet bro. Yet.

And i dont see any horns.

Has anyone tried one of the ACOG knock offs. Stumbled one some on wish.com they range from $60 to $125. Which says enough. But if reviews are genuine. Some seem worth the gamble.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

40 minutes ago, Family1st said:

And i dont see any horns.

Has anyone tried one of the ACOG knock offs. Stumbled one some on wish.com they range from $60 to $125. Which says enough. But if reviews are genuine. Some seem worth the gamble.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

I've been using the Primary Arms prism scopes on a couple of my rifles for awhile now and I've got no real complaints. I've got a fixed 2.5x and 5x.  I've found that the etched reticle on these scopes works better for my astigmatism. I just keep both of my eyes open for up-close (out to about 25 yards) past that I tend to go back to keeping one eye closed.

Overall, I'm happy with the quality of the scopes and they meet my needs. I've dropped both a couple of times and I've never had any issues. I would definitely buy one of these again if I needed to

• Like 1

astigmatism is why I stopped using red dots...  on a good day it's a small comet.  on a bad day it's a huge blurry mess

primary arm's prism scopes got great reviews.  the vortex prism scopes are good too

• Like 1

Medved11 appreciate the info.  I'm check them out. .

You're welcome. I think that PA makes great stuff for the money.

Ironically, I was trying to swap out the mount that comes with the PA prism scope with an ADM ACOG mount and accidentally stripped one of the screws that holds the scope to the base (lesson learned about using purple loctite).

In order to get that screw out, I had to put the scope upside down in a padded vise and pound a Torx head bit into the stripped screw so that I could get it out

The scope took the (somewhat gentle but definitely firm) pounding well and seems to be functioning fine.

Here's a pic of the screw after I got it loosened. I originally tried to get my dremel into the space to cut a slot in the screw for a screwdriver but it was just too tight. So, I opted for plan B which was pounding in the Torx bit. It worked great and I wasn't saving the factory base so I didn't care if it got chewed up a little during the process

a3722f3819f15862fb6bc0a57ee5f35f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tried heat? If not by flame,heat the tip of the tool and stick it in and turn...  but purple? Sheesh.

Yeah - I ended up using purple because those screws came loose twice using blue. I did use a little heat (tip of a soldering iron) and the first screw came out fine. I'm not sure what happened with the second one but the head of screw just disintegrated as soon as I started turning.

It's weird because I torqued the screws to the specs that I found online so I'm not sure what happened.

I read a few reviews of PA scopes this morning and saw a few people complain about their screws stripping out when torquing them within specs. My guess is that the quality of the Chinese manufactured screws is subpar. There is a big difference in quality between those screws and the screws that came with the ADM mount that I just switched to. They look and feel much beefier. They came pre-treated with the yellow thread lock that Magpul uses so I didn't bother adding anything else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have 3 formulas. I use either, (from weaker to stronger), Blue, Red and Green.

Red should have sufficed. Most cases it does. Blue if its not something so critical or a part that over heats. Like grip screws, etc. I had an installed front sight on a 1911 which on older versions, are staked in. It was wiggling and didn't want to deal with the guy that installed it so, Green. Green is designed to be added to bolts like on engines that cannot for any particular reason, be removed but comes loose. Its viscosity is thin enough where it can seep in like oil. Once in and dried, its solid. My sight is still tight.

Those are the only colors I've used in many years.

ADM mounts are great. Not cheap but hey....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro