Matroskin

Got permits, went to RTSP to rent

After I realized that my G19 is actually like shooting 2x4, I decided to buy something more ergonomic that I can use as range toy and as a go to gun for training.

So I got my permits and went to RTSP to try a few guns. Here is what I had on my short list (no particular order) :

S&W m&p 9 5" (rtsp only had 4")

Springfield xdm 5.25"

PPQ m2 5" (rtsp only had 4")

CZ 75b

here are my impressions:

1. They all light years ahead of G19 in terms of ergonomics, quite possibly M&P was the best one and aggressive grips are actually fine when shooting.

2. Accuracy 1: M&P and XDM are comparable to Glock, i would put them in the same category, with my limited experience they good until 10 yards. Past 15 yards, in my hands it doesn't look pretty.

3. Accuracy 2: CZ 75b and PPQ 4" are much more accurate, I got groups that never expected and rarely achieve with G19 no matter how much I train.

4. Triggers: they all are not bad. The M&Ps was surprisingly good. Also, I finally understand why people prize the PPQ, but it's scary light, so I'm not sure it would be good for non-controlled environments. You know what I mean :) CZ's trigger was good, somewhere between PPQ and M&P.

I summary, by now you may have guessed my order of preference:

1.CZ

2. PPQ

3. M&P

Finally, I decided to buy the CZ sp-01 if I can find it.

Just wanted to share my opinion, it may help someone.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

The Glock 17 was introduced in 1982. It has been improved upon a little bit here and there but for the most part it's still the same. And the Glock 19 is still the worlds best selling hand gun. It's kind of like a Porsche, they got the design right the first time and it took other manufactures 35 yrs to catch up. If you believe they actually caught up.

2 hours ago, diamondd817 said:

The Glock 17 was introduced in 1982. It has been improved upon a little bit here and there but for the most part it's still the same. And the Glock 19 is still the worlds best selling hand gun. It's kind of like a Porsche, they got the design right the first time and it took other manufactures 35 yrs to catch up. If you believe they actually caught up.

It's the G17 was top in sales world wide, G19 for the US. They're market share has been in a free fall though, because they refuse to admit that they're being passed left and right. That's why they had the tantrum after losing out to the P320, they desperately needed the sales.

But go ahead and delude yourself, thinking others haven't even caught up yet. You'd fit right in at the Glock corporate office.

• Like 3

I'm still a Glock fan.  I think too many people put too much into how a gun "feels".  You can learn to shoot any handgun well if:

1.  You have to.  This is your issued weapon and you can't carry anything else.  Of course this doesn't apply to most as you're free to choose what you prefer.

2.  You want to.  This is just determination to adapt to the gun not have the gun adapt to you.

The Glock is about 40 years old.  It took a bit before other manufacturers could copy the striker fired design.  Some manufacturers have improved on it.

The Glock still sells well because it does its job well.  Same as a S&W revolver or a 1911.

12 minutes ago, Howard said:

Try the PPQ 5" M2 way better than the 4".  Can't go wrong with either the SP-01 or the 5" M2.

This is also on my shortlist.  Howard - what did you do to it for production?  Any mods?  

As an aside, even without knowing RTSP's price on it, I can confidently say that you can find it much cheaper online.  There's also an active rebate on Walther guns right now, so this can be had pretty cheaply.

The PPQ 5" M2 is wonderful just the way it comes, probably the best out of the box trigger I have ever seen.  That said I did change the trigger return spring which takes 12 ounces off the trigger pull.  I also put the smallest backstrap on it and then wrapped the grip in rubber tennis or golf grip tape as the grip gets a little slippery for me otherwise.  Oh wait, I also changed the sights to Dawson Fiber optics.

You are correct about the rebates, they are currently offering $100 off, which makes it even better.

Some like the Q5 match, which is a very similar gun with an optics mounting plate (like a Glock MOS) and a different trigger.  Some like the Q5 trigger better - I don't.  It has less take up and over travel but I find the pull a lot harder.

Like Howard, I also installed Dawson fiber optic sights on my 9mm Walther PPQ M2 5" and also agree that it has the best OEM trigger that I have experienced for and handgun in this price range.  In my experience, it is a consistently accurate light polymer handgun.  Too bad it is so hard to find a nice holster for it, due to the 5" barrel length....

AVB-AMG

On that holster front, Howard what are you using for production? 

I'm going to order one of these bad boys...

I have a Com Tac drop offset that I use for production and a Safariland GLS for IDPA.

1 hour ago, Howard said:
1 hour ago, mikeyjones said:
On that holster front, Howard what are you using for production? 

I'm going to order one of these bad boys...

I have a Com Tac drop offset that I use for production and a Safariland GLS for IDPA.

Howard:

Which specific holster from each manufacturer do you use that fits the 5" version of the Walther PPQ?

AVB-AMG

Sorry I am terrible at keeping records and just at looking at them I don't see any model numbers.  But if you go to their web site it should not be hard to figure out.  Please not if I were to buy any holster now it would likely be from the Ben Stoeger pro shot and be with the Boss hanger which I have found to be the best for a drop offset holster for competition in production.

On 7/14/2017 at 8:18 PM, diamondd817 said:

I think I'd say it's more like the Toyota Camry of guns.  Works all the time but just nothing to be emotional about.  More like an appliance.