voyager9

Light for VP9

59 minutes ago, High Exposure said:

Best value is not the same as lowest price. 

You need to find the best value in the gear you are getting for the money you are spending.

Ha!

value vs reliable! Now that's the question!

oh sorry were we suppose to be helping you decide something, lol i came into the topic without even reading your post.    

So you saying you are on duty? Then yea. I'm not trying to spark ire in anyone but I just said I have several for years and no problem. 

I'm the first one that would follow in HE's footsteps regarding glass and such. But most of us are now civilians that are not banging the shit out of gear. If you are, buy an armor tank product.

I'm not the oldest here, but I've been doing this crap a long time.

Best glass is a good thing. Lights that sit and barely see the light, (pun intended), being extremely expensive is not in everyone's budget. Stop comparing people to pros in the field. I'd rather see someone buy a reliable weapon with the proper ammo and great sights than spend crazy money on a SF.

I've said it before. Their prices are nuts and I see no reason for it. Technology has gotten cheap over the years. Look at computer memory compared to yesteryear. The body is aircraft aluminum which was used first by Kel-Lite if I recall. It's durable as hell and if you don't believe me, I'll show you my duty light I carried in the early 80's... still works and has tons of bruises.

Seems some folks here own Surefire stock. [emoji23][emoji6]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bhunted said:

I'm not the oldest here, but I've been doing this crap a long time.
Best glass is a good thing. Lights that sit and barely see the light, (pun intended), being extremely expensive is not in everyone's budget. Stop comparing people to pros in the field. I'd rather see someone buy a reliable weapon with the proper ammo and great sights than spend crazy money on a SF.

i agree if its not in your budget theres obviously other good lights out there.  speaking only for myself i bought the gun, ammo, sights, training, and after all that still had the extra money for the SF.  if i didn't spend it on a stupid expensive light i'd imagine i would have bought something else gun related that would have been less needed like a AR can cannon or grappling hook :D

• Like 1

Just so yaz understand. Not just SF, but any company that has the claim and does not adjust to the economy accordingly.

SF has a big following especially with LEO from all over. Their contracts keep their products at a premium. I'm not disputing they have great products. But they are not the only sheriffs in town.

I can get a computer for their prices....
just sayen.

Ouch, I'm starting to type like some other blabber mouth here. I'm going to have to put myself on my ignore list too. Lmao.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, Zeke said:

Ha!

value vs reliable! Now that's the question!

Reliability is a big part of value.

If I buy one light at $250 that never fails, it's a better value than buying a $130 lights that only last a few months or a year and has to be replaced with another $130 or $250 light.

I have had the TLR-3 attached to my VP9 for over 2+ years now.  I have not had it NOT come on when i turn it on (other than when a battery dies, but that has only been once, and its because i was unnecessarily playing with it)..   Fits comfortably on the VP9, doesnt extend out past the end.  Plenty of light for inside the house (unless you live in a mansion, but for a standard home, its perfectly adequate IMO)

djhwIvc.jpg

Just my 2¢

One thing of note for the TLR-3....   Read the directions and follow them.  Do not over-tighten or you WILL crack the housing.  I initially forgot that i cracked my first housing, but it was 100% my fault for clearly over-tightening when the directions tell you not to.  SInce then, been perfect. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, High Exposure said:

Reliability is a big part of value.

If I buy one light at $250 that never fails, it's a better value than buying a $130 lights that only last a few months or a year and has to be replaced with another $130 or $250 light.

I'm not disagreeing with you. But I guess my testimony means nothing. Rick, a lot of us do not beat our gear. We are not in the field. In most cases, I'd agree with you. But only on certain things. Flashlight not being one of them. For John Q Public, TLR is fine. They may only come in second place, but that is not a bad thing.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, voyager9 said:

Thanks all for the feedback and opinions. 

Ended up going with X300U.  I'm sure the TLR would have worked fine but the price difference wasn't so much that it offset the feedback/thoughts here. To me at least. 

hah enjoy it that light is awesome.  i can feel my stock prices rising :D

Not to hijack the thread (but I guess I can now that he has decided)...

anyone ever use the Surefire XC1?   i have heard good and bad, but it seems ideal for either a carry light or (well, for me) an "around the house" light due to its extremely compact form.  Just curious

1 hour ago, DSD1026 said:

Not to hijack the thread (but I guess I can now that he has decided)...

anyone ever use the Surefire XC1?   i have heard good and bad, but it seems ideal for either a carry light or (well, for me) an "around the house" light due to its extremely compact form.  Just curious

I was looking at getting one of these. So far I have held off. I have never been an early adopter of new gear preferring to wait until 1st Gen issues are identified and fixed. In this instance it seems to have paid off. I have heard that there have been some teething issues. On the bright side, Surefire's customer service has been excellent for those I know that have been experiencing issues.

5 hours ago, DSD1026 said:

I have had the TLR-3 attached to my VP9 for over 2+ years now.  I have not had it NOT come on when i turn it on (other than when a battery dies, but that has only been once, and its because i was unnecessarily playing with it)..   Fits comfortably on the VP9, doesnt extend out past the end.  Plenty of light for inside the house (unless you live in a mansion, but for a standard home, its perfectly adequate IMO)

djhwIvc.jpg

Just my 2¢

One thing of note for the TLR-3....   Read the directions and follow them.  Do not over-tighten or you WILL crack the housing.  I initially forgot that i cracked my first housing, but it was 100% my fault for clearly over-tightening when the directions tell you not to.  SInce then, been perfect. 

I think you just unwittingly made the case for passing up the TLR's and going with SF. If you can crack the housing by over tightening, that's not something I would want to depend my life on. And no, I'm not a LEO or operator. Just want to know my shit will work if I were to ever need it, without having to question it.

9 minutes ago, Sig226GuyNJ said:

I think you just unwittingly made the case for passing up the TLR's and going with SF. If you can crack the housing by over tightening, that's not something I would want to depend my life on. And no, I'm not a LEO or operator. Just want to know my shit will work if I were to ever need it, without having to question it.

I see your point..   but its also a question of reading and following directions (for the manual)..   if i would have done it properly (and not 2 turns more than they tell you to do), it wouldnt have cracked..  (and to be more precise, it didn't crack while i was over tightening it, it cracked after shooting the gun quite a bit after i over tightened it)

That said, its a house gun for me, so it doesnt get a lot of abuse.  i wouldnt be concerned with it not working if i need it at this point..   but people have different needs..  it certainly wouldn't be a duty gun if i had that kind of job.. but its more than adequate for what i want it for

• Like 2

1 hour ago, High Exposure said:

I was looking at getting one of these. So far I have held off. I have never been an early adopter of new gear preferring to wait until 1st Gen issues are identified and fixed. In this instance it seems to have paid off. I have heard that there have been some teething issues. On the bright side, Surefire's customer service has been excellent for those I know that have been experiencing issues.

if they can get them to work reliably, i love the incredibly compact form factor...

You can over tighten just about anything. Quality or not. You are going to base your decisions going by someone else's mistakes? That's ludicrous. RIF!

When it comes to a lot of things in life, men tend to NOT read the instructions. I am guilty of doing it sometimes. But I'm also very mechanically inclined.
But NEVER on something as crucial as a weapon.

You can really tell who are the noobs or the ones who need pandering by questions such as:

- Do I use oil or grease on the slide rails?
- I was told to use 15 foot pounds of torque. Would it be safe to use less?
- Cream or Oil? (On your pie)
- Butter or Margarin (On your toast)
- KY or Beach Sand (On your *Bleeeeep!*)

Ehem, you get the point. [emoji6]

Most of just about anything can be found in the user manuals. Choose to do things your way and break something, should not deter someone to buy something. Take the blame and suck it up.
[emoji481][emoji3]

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, DSD1026 said:

if they can get them to work reliably, i love the incredibly compact form factor...

Agreed. But they are 1/3 as bright and 2/3 the cost of an X300U. I don't think the juice is worth the squeeze for me and my needs as I have no problem carrying my pistol with an X300U full time - either a G23/19, G22, or G35.

21 minutes ago, bhunted said:

You can over tighten just about anything. Quality or not. You are going to base your decisions going by someone else's mistakes? That's ludicrous. RIF!

When it comes to a lot of things in life, men tend to NOT read the instructions. I am guilty of doing it sometimes. But I'm also very mechanically inclined.
But NEVER on something as crucial as a weapon.

You can really tell who are the noobs or the ones who need pandering by questions such as:

- Do I use oil or grease on the slide rails?
- I was told to use 15 foot pounds of torque. Would it be safe to use less?
- Cream or Oil? (On your pie)
- Butter or Margarin (On your toast)
- KY or Beach Sand (On your *Bleeeeep!*)

Ehem, you get the point. emoji6.png

Most of just about anything can be found in the user manuals. Choose to do things your way and break something, should not deter someone to buy something. Take the blame and suck it up.
emoji481.pngemoji3.png

RTFM

I say it all the time.

• Like 1

Any thoughts on a holster that would fit a Vp9/x300u?  Obviously wouldn't be carrying in public (yet) but want something I can use with whatever I'm wearing should I have to pull it out of the safe. Bump in the night, zombies, etc. 

Any thoughts on a holster that would fit a Vp9/x300u?  Obviously wouldn't be carrying in public (yet) but want something I can use with whatever I'm wearing should I have to pull it out of the safe. Bump in the night, zombies, etc. 

Titan Concealment can make you a custom holster and he is on the forum.

• Like 1