Barms

Roku TV website is so vague

I'm considering buying a Roku TV primarily used for kids.   I want to check the website for what channels are FREE.  But free is not easily identifiable.   I would call free meaning no subscription needed at all.

for example.   Disney Junior.   Is it free?   I don't know it says something like "after you find the channel please log into your providers credentials".  So to me that is not free you still need to pay for cable TV to get access?    What am I saving on then?   Is my only savings that I'm not paying for a cable box?   

What is the best way for me to find out which channels truly free,  which are available on the Roku TV but I need cable subscription anyway?

leave network channels and premium HBO out if the equation,  really what is the benefit of a roku TV if a lot of channels yiu had to log into a cable subscription anyway to view it on the TV?   Is it just the box savings?

• Like 1

So we have 2 rokus.

With Roku, best way to think about it is like Apple TV.  There are three levels of channels.

1. Totally free 

2. Free* if you have a the channel already through cable or otherwise.

3. Paid 

Most of the channels like History, etc will have completely free content, and then more content if you subscribe.  

HBO and Showtime will have both, options 2 and 3.

Then there is the whole thing of "grey" channels and various apps out there that give you free channels, etc.

Plenty of free stuff on Roku though and well worth it.  Even just to have easier way to watch Amazon Prime and Netflix.

We have it for the Russian tv packages.

• Like 2

Amazon fire stick is less than $40.

Step 1 follow the very simple instructions in this video 

There is a lot of good content on the no limits build but if you know what you want to watch stop the above video at 5:50 and proceed to step 2

Step 2 install the elysium channel here

This is totally free and super easy 

If you want a little more speed get the amazon fire tv box for $80 and wire it directly to your modem or just WiFi that to.