Sign in to follow this  
brucin

Picked up a previously loved S&W 15-22

Saw it at a local shop for $250 with a 10 and 15 round magazine and a nice tactical rifle case. It appears hardly shot. I think I got a good deal. Any thing I should be aware of? I have generally heard only good things about them. Was not planing on getting anything but the wife always wanted something in purple muddy girl so she is a happy camper.

1 hour ago, JohnnyB said:

WOW! That's a great price for that rifle. Pics or it didn't happen. If it's the right shade of purple, PP will buy it from you for twice what you paid!

I would post a pic but it's so darn difficult to post on this forum without having a host site and I have no desire to set up yet another place with a password I need to remember.

I will bring it to the next shotgun shootout and hit the rim fire range with it if anyone is interested at that time.

I have a 15-22, was the first rifle i purchased.  Have not had any issues with mine in terms of reliability (other than ammo related, which is normal for .22lr).  i have gone through 3 iterations of sights though..   First put a 3-9x scope on it (which now resides on my souped-up 10/22).  Then went for a cheap-ass RDS from Amazon (Barksa, big mistake, couldnt even get it on paper before it ran out of adjustment) and now has a vortex strike fire (perfect).  Also put some cheap poly BUIS on it because lets be honest, its a .22lr... Fun gun, was good to get me used to the AR platform before i got my first one.  I dont shoot it as much now as I used to since i have AR's and a 10/22 tack driver..  but still nice to have..   It does function best with CCI AR Tactical ammo (the rounds were specifically tested with the 15-22, so its pretty much made for it) but it has shot regular mini mags and other HV ammo pretty flawlessly (a few hiccups along the way, but all ammo related - and very limited in scope)

At $250 for excellent condition..   well..   thats a pretty good deal, especially if its already neutered

The best part was they pinned the stock while we waited no charge. Took a few minutes  for my wife to decide what length she wanted (no  bad jokes please). I can't wait to shoot the thing and neither can she.

I'll give a full range report on Sunday.

http://imgur.com/aGNscNG

I have the pumpkin orange model for my S/O and i to shoot. Love that thing. Paid up the a$$ for it @ Heritage guild when i first got my FID But no real issues with it other than the occasional FTE resulting in casings being crimped by the bcg LOL. And the once in a blue moon FTF caused by a deformed bullet (i believe thats the issue) getting stuck on the way out.
Anywho.. not the most reliable compared to a full sized AR but you can't beat the fun you'll have with it for the price.. Don't have to worry about your wallet while you shoot like i do with my larger rifles.

I've had one for about five years, and it's still a lot of fun to shoot.  The only mod I've made is the addition of a Bushnell TRS-25 RDS.  It has been incredibly reliable with CCI AR Tactical ammo.  Whenever I take new shooters to the range (like I did yesterday), it's everyone's favorite gun to shoot  

Love mine. It the orange harvest moon finish which I like. Hyperfire trigger installed. C-more sight. My 15-22 has been nothing but a joy to shoot. Only malfunctions when it gets really filthy, like after a few thousand rounds. I use mine for rimfire steel matches at CR. Its the consensus rifle to buy if you shoot those matches.

OK range report. Shot it on Sunday with the peep sights. Flawless function with over 200 rounds through it. The wife however hated the sights. She also shoots lefty so a long sleeve shirt is in order as the spent casings kept bouncing off her right arm.

I put a cheapo rim fire scope on that I had sitting around and at 25 yards the thing is a tack driver. Fired over 200 rounds CCI mini mag, Federal Match and Eley Match. It only had one failure to fire with the Eley. I think the wife will be pleased with the scope.

It really is a fun rifle to shoot. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, brucin said:

OK range report. Shot it on Sunday with the peep sights. Flawless function with over 200 rounds through it. The wife however hated the sights. She also shoots lefty so a long sleeve shirt is in order as the spent casings kept bouncing off her right arm.

I put a cheapo rim fire scope on that I had sitting around and at 25 yards the thing is a tack driver. Fired over 200 rounds CCI mini mag, Federal Match and Eley Match. It only had one failure to fire with the Eley. I think the wife will be pleased with the scope.

It really is a fun rifle to shoot. 

Indeed. You've got me looking for a 2nd one LOL