Sig226GuyNJ

There is no such thing as a routine traffic stop

This LEO, is on a traffic stop, when someone apparently takes a shot at him. I wouldn't want to be a cop these days with all the cop bashing going on. Don't get me wrong, I understand there are bad cops out there. But I believe the majority of them are good, decent people, just trying to do a job and get home at the end of the day. Do some cops have attitudes when they make contact with you? Sure. But as I've gotten older and hopefully wiser, I've realized that with the shit they see and deal with everyday, I'd probably have an attitude to. Who knows what kind of call they just came from? All this cop hating has gotten out of fucking control. When you have people taking shots at cops like this, or at Officer Familia who was just sitting in her squad car, we've reached a boiling point. To the LEO's on this forum, keep your heads down and on a swivel.

https://www.liveleak.com/view?i=0bd_1500683726

• Like 6

This has happened a couple times not too long ago in Sayreville during a night time traffic stop on Main Street.

I've also been shot at once (4-5 shots) while getting into my personal car outside HQ while leaving shift about 4 years ago. Heard the pop-wiz-snap as the rounds went over my head. Bad feeling.

• Like 1

Heavy, expensive, and you can't roll it down.

A lot of good police work is accomplished with windows rolled down so you can hear things and talk to people.

People cry militarization when we buy rifles, put lights in our guns, or have our armor outside our shirts. Imagine if we had bulletproof cars that created a "wall" between cops and the public we serve?

• Like 5

My best friend is a cop in Dallas TX and the story's he tells me sometimes I'm thinking no way, I went out there to visit and did a ride along, Let me tell you no frigin way can I be a cop , I give them a lot of credit, I work construction and dealing with home owners can be a pain in the ass, dealing with the general public and listening to the BS , ALOT OF RESTANT THESE OFFICRES HAVE.  Because if the was me id give a whole new meaning of police brutality .

No way I'd be a cop. I have a GREAT deal of respect for them, but it's by and large a thankless job.

The public loves the military ( for the most part), but police tend to get a bad rap. Unfortunate. They are the front line. Everyone hates a cop when they get a ticket, but they cry and bitch that they aren't around when they need one. In many cases, it's a no win situation. 

My hat is always off to them. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, High Exposure said:

A lot of good police work is accomplished with windows rolled down so you can hear things and talk to people.

People cry militarization when we buy rifles, put lights in our guns, or have our armor outside our shirts. Imagine if we had bulletproof cars that created a "wall" between cops and the public we serve?

Kevlar door panels/Liners are expensive enough... lol

I get the need to use windows etc I remember how important that was during the ride along I did in the fall.  

However, it's 2017 they have to make some type of light weight film by now. 

And how do you put a price on someone's life.  The threats are unfortunately a very real problem.

This whole anti cop bs really pisses me off.  The crap our society faces today  the police are our protectors on home soil.  

Let's not forget the majority of individuals that have negative interaction with police are criminals!  Not law abiding, positive contributing members of the community.

let me stop now, before I get myself in trouble  :)

• Like 1

Hat is off to all first responders. No way I could be a police officer. 

I do find it comical when people get a ticket or a summons and they bitch about how the officer wasn't all happy and go lucky. You broke a law you dipshit. Own it!  Co-worker of mine was bitching about something similar. I said to him this isn't Chili's restaurant where they have to be nice to you. YOU are making this officer do his/her job. You created this situation.  Own it. 

• Like 1

Yea and the boneheads in NYC want to start equipping all vehicles with bp glass. With money from where?
I'm all for protection but use your head. Maybe bloombutt should pay for it all since their gun laws still don't do squat.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Its very taxing right now. I hate that I have to be suspect of almost everybody. When I'm stopped at a light I try to not let cars directly next to me, leave enough space to escape if need be. A simple question could be a purposeful distraction. You can sit in one spot too long or park where people can get around your car. Its 8-16 hours completely on edge just waiting or being prepared for something to happen. I expect the worst so I'm prepared for whatever may happen when I'm working. The one who I feel sorry for most is my wife, not because she is married to me lol, but because I am not home for long periods and a lot of times she can't get in touch with me. She expects the worst too. She has already had calls from either myself or coworkers about me in the ER. A few times I didn't even tell her till I got home after she saw me dropped off in a police car cause I wasn't allowed to drive. Spouses have it bad 

• Like 6

No way I'd be a cop. I have a GREAT deal of respect for them, but it's by and large a thankless job.
The public loves the military ( for the most part), but police tend to get a bad rap. Unfortunate. They are the front line. Everyone hates a cop when they get a ticket, but they cry and bitch that they aren't around when they need one. In many cases, it's a no win situation. 
My hat is always off to them. 

Not necessarily. When I was a teen, a motorcycle cop set up radar and had no tickets written yet. They were notorious for giving tickets with the most minor infraction. At least the usual guy that was there. He kind of looked like Ringo. He apologized profusely because he hated doing radar and haven't given any tickets yet and was getting off his shift. and lowered it to 2 miles over the limit which was 25. His trap was right next to a hotdog wagon. By time we were done bsing, we each had hotdogs and became friends. Haven't seen him decades but before he left, gave me all the areas with traps and times. I had a few stories similar over the years. They loved picking on TransAms. Lol.

• Like 1

A lot of good police work is accomplished with windows rolled down so you can hear things and talk to people--quote by high exposure.     No truer statement has ever been said re police work.

This is how I worked in a patrol car. In cool and hot weather. This Carried over into my personal life. Wife complains about window open all the time.

1 hour ago, bhunted said:

Not necessarily. When I was a teen, a motorcycle cop set up radar and had no tickets written yet. They were notorious for giving tickets with the most minor infraction. At least the usual guy that was there. He kind of looked like Ringo. He apologized profusely because he hated doing radar and haven't given any tickets yet and was getting off his shift. and lowered it to 2 miles over the limit which was 25. His trap was right next to a hotdog wagon. By time we were done bsing, we each had hotdogs and became friends. Haven't seen him decades but before he left, gave me all the areas with traps and times. I had a few stories similar over the years. They loved picking on TransAms. Lol.

Yep. Back in high school I had a 1980 Trans Am. Smokey and the Bandit special. 

I got pulled over a LOT. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BlueLineFish said:

Its very taxing right now. I hate that I have to be suspect of almost everybody. When I'm stopped at a light I try to not let cars directly next to me, leave enough space to escape if need be. A simple question could be a purposeful distraction. You can sit in one spot too long or park where people can get around your car. Its 8-16 hours completely on edge just waiting or being prepared for something to happen. I expect the worst so I'm prepared for whatever may happen when I'm working. The one who I feel sorry for most is my wife, not because she is married to me lol, but because I am not home for long periods and a lot of times she can't get in touch with me. She expects the worst too. She has already had calls from either myself or coworkers about me in the ER. A few times I didn't even tell her till I got home after she saw me dropped off in a police car cause I wasn't allowed to drive. Spouses have it bad 

Well... that is really a VERY sad commentary - from a cop's perspective - on the current state of affairs. If that is a typical reaction (and I can only assume it is), then not only are cops and their families dealing with an added level of strain, but there are also long-term implications re: the ability of police departments to attract good recruits. Some of these horrible events are bound to dissuade young people from going into police work. They'll either re-direct to other first responder jobs (EMT, firefighter, etc.) or they'll just go into different fields altogether. We all lose when the law enforcement talent pool shrinks. What a shame!

• Like 3