Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Vicious

WTB - 45-70 Rifle

13 posts in this topic

Specifically looking for a Springfield Trapdoor rifle (1873) or a Marlin 1895SBL (Pre Remington take over preferred). In either case, looking for a shooter type, not really a collectible. If you have something you want to get rid of, pm me.

Thanks for looking!

I found a used Henry field model (blued, round barrel, padded buttplate) at Tanners a couple of weeks ago at a great price.

Snapped that baby right up!

Bought dies and 350gr lead-free bullets on sale at Midway and loaded up a dozen rounds with 54gr Varget (ouch!!)

My buddies Herb, Shayne and I had it on the 50 at SJSC after a rifle match 2 weeks ago (4 shots ea, tube capacity)

WOW.   It's like firing a 12ga slug gun!!

And now I wait for the Invasion of the Buffalo ;-)

I hate the buckhorn sights too

On my .22 Henry's I installed William peep sights on the 3/8" grooved receivers

The Big Boys are drilled and tapped for one-piece scope bases, but Williams has a set specifically for them. Haven't gotten my hands on one yet, but it's in my plans for all 3, the .357 and .45LC brass models and the .45-70 steel

As a match rifle shooter, I'm spoiled and really prefer aperture sights (rear AND front when available)

1 person likes this

5 minutes ago, Vicious said:

I like the williams sights, but I do not like the fact that the buckhorn is still there. I can drift it out, but then there is an open dovetail on the barrel.

That's where you mount the red dot sight.    :-)

1 person likes this

17 hours ago, Vicious said:

I like the williams sights, but I do not like the fact that the buckhorn is still there. I can drift it out, but then there is an open dovetail on the barrel.

Dovetail filler: http://rangerpointstore.com/shop-all/rifle-dovetail-fillers/

You owe it to yourself to check out the Henry 45-70 models before you buy a Remlin.

Operate the actions. Squeeze the trigger and drop the hammer (gently, held back by your thumb, please!)

The Henry stands heads and shoulders above the Remlins.

1 person likes this