S&W39

Jersey Strikes Again

So effective beginning on November 1st, you will have to be 21 yrs old to buy tobacco related products in NJ. Another useless law passed by the state legislature. I'm not a smoker , but I think the new law is a waste. The State Senate must be bored, this is a priority? Jeez, Murphy hasn't been sworn in yet. So as far as NJ recognizing National Reciprocity for NJ gun owners with non resident CCW's......:lol::buttkick:

• Like 2

NJ has no choice in recognizing National Reciprocity when passed.  A state cannot pick and choose which Federal laws they want to comply with.

This 21 year old tobacco law is stupid.  I've been a VFW member since I was 18.  I came off Active Duty as a non-commissioned officer at age 20. Couldn't drink ( although I drank every place else in the world I'd been) but at least I could buy cigarettes.  I'm sure there are people coming off AD now in the same boat.

30 minutes ago, GRIZ said:

A state cannot pick and choose which Federal laws they want to comply with.

Yes they can. And obviously the Federal government can pick and choose which laws they will enforce. E.G. Marijuana, immigration laws.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, GRIZ said:

NJ has no choice in recognizing National Reciprocity when passed.  A state cannot pick and choose which Federal laws they want to comply with.

This 21 year old tobacco law is stupid.  I've been a VFW member since I was 18.  I came off Active Duty as a non-commissioned officer at age 20. Couldn't drink ( although I drank every place else in the world I'd been) but at least I could buy cigarettes.  I'm sure there are people coming off AD now in the same boat.

Believe me NJ will pull every weasel card out of their deck to stop, complex or otherwise gum up any movement to carry in any way, fashion or form.  Their probably already working on it.

• Like 2

If NR happens to pass and NJ is forced to comply and recognize NJ residents with non - resident CCW's they can claim you need a CCW from your home state which excludes most of us. If that doesn't work they'll charge a high application fee for CCW unless the fee is Federally controlled. Trump is so busy defending himself , plus there's so many pressing issues, you never here much about NR. Fortunately for most of the country they're not doing that bad with the CCW issue they still have maintained their 2A rights much better than us. I really think shooters that reside in states like NJ are clinging to the idea NR will help them with the CCW issue, especially if you have a non resident CCW.... I.E. Florida, Utah. Tomorrow the Senate votes on the motion to proceed with just addressing healthcare. At first the President should have started with tax reform it might have been an easier issue.

At 21 your not mature enough to drink, or smoke.  However at 18 you are mature enough to marry, enter into a legal binding contract, vote for elected office including President.  TY  eff'dup NJ.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GRIZ said:

You mean like marijuana? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 45Doll said:

Yes they can. And obviously the Federal government can pick and choose which laws they will enforce. E.G. Marijuana, immigration laws.

3 hours ago, sota said:

You mean like marijuana? 

The Federal government can pick and choose which violations it wants to prosecute.  Just as state prosecutors pick and choose what state violations they want to prosecute.  A state cannot ignore Federal law.  Read the rest of the COTUS before and after the 2A.

State laws can be more restrictive than Federal law but not contrary to Federal law.  

Marijuana laws in the states take three forms:

Decriminalization- Marijuana is still illegal but not a crime.  No conflict with Federal law, it's still illegal but a civil violation not a criminal one.

Medical Marijuana- state laws run the gamut from it legal but no way to get it legal to its legal and it's pretty easy to get if your a state resident or not.

Recreational Marijuana-   state laws are very specific that it be grown in the state and restrictions on sales to out of state residents.  I have a daughter that lives in Colorado Springs and I can tell you it's not the panecea many make it out to be. Once again, as the state law is written, kind of a 10A issue.

4 hours ago, S&W39 said:

If NR happens to pass and NJ is forced to comply and recognize NJ residents with non - resident CCW's they can claim you need a CCW from your home state which excludes most of us. If that doesn't work they'll charge a high application fee for CCW unless the fee is Federally controlled. Trump is so busy defending himself , plus there's so many pressing issues, you never here much about NR. Fortunately for most of the country they're not doing that bad with the CCW issue they still have maintained their 2A rights much better than us. I really think shooters that reside in states like NJ are clinging to the idea NR will help them with the CCW issue, especially if you have a non resident CCW.... I.E. Florida, Utah. Tomorrow the Senate votes on the motion to proceed with just addressing healthcare. At first the President should have started with tax reform it might have been an easier issue.

The current form of the NR bill requires people to be "eligible to conceal carry in their state of residence".  An out of state non-resident  permit will do nothing in NJ.  If passed in this form it will cause carry permit laws in states like NJ and Hawaii to come under scrutiny of Federal courts.  A 5-4 or 6-3 majority in SCOTUS will be in our favor.

Few things come all at once.

25 minutes ago, S&W39 said:

Jersey law as written says "justifiable need" to be granted a CCW. NR states you have to be eligible, aren't we all eligible if we have a clean record? I believe this is where the conflict will begin.

And if we get a 5-4 or 6-3 in SCOTUS we will prevail.

• Like 1

Hillary’s Urgent Request

Upon hearing the awful news that a member of the Supreme Court had passed away, Hillary phoned the president’s office. It was just past midnight.

“I need to talk to the president, it’s an emergency!”, exclaimed Hillary.

After some cajoling, President Trump’s assistant agreed to wake him up.

“What is it that’s so important that it can’t wait until morning?”, bellowed Trump.

“A Supreme Court Judge just died, and I want to take his place,” begged Hillary.

“Well, it’s OK with me if it’s OK with the mortuary,” replied the President.

• Like 2

NJ is a nanny state. They'd raise the ages to smoke, drink and bang to 30 if they thought they could get away with it.

As for NR. NJ will fight it tooth and nail. This state is a joke. If it wasn't for being so close to NYC it would collapse.

On 7/24/2017 at 3:53 PM, GRIZ said:

When though?

When is it going to be passed?

When when when!?!?!?!?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, deerpark said:

When though?

When is it going to be passed?

When when when!?!?!?!?

There was an article (politico maybe?) that said it could hit the floor of the house by october. Not sure if/when it would be taken up by the senate or if it would even pass there