CMJeepster

ARTICLE" Appeals court blocks enforcement of District’s strict concealed-carry law"

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/public-safety/appeals-court-blocks-enforcement-of-districts-strict-concealed-carry-law/2017/07/25/29bcbdfc-7146-11e7-9eac-d56bd5568db8_story.html?utm_term=.807f7c0f879d

A federal appeals court on Tuesday blocked the District from enforcing strict limits the city has in place on carrying concealed firearms on the streets of the nation’s capital.

In a 2-1 decision, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit said the District’s system that requires a “good reason” to obtain a permit is so restrictive that it is akin to an outright ban in violation of the Second Amendment.

“The good-reason law is necessarily a total ban on most D.C. residents’ right to carry a gun in the face of ordinary self-defense needs,” wrote Judge Thomas B. Griffith, who was joined by Judge Stephen F. Williams.

“Bans on the ability of most citizens to exercise an enumerated right would have to flunk any judicial test.”

------------

Anyone want to take bets as to whether or not this goes to SCOTUS?  In my opinion, the time to get this crap resolved is now.  Settle this matter then get the national reciprocity law enacted.  There's only going to be so much time before the branches of government change again...

Hmmm... that sounds pretty big to me. "Good reason" and NJ's "justifiable need" sound like 6 of one/half-dozen of the other. Tide turning?

However, I would still rather see a slightly more pro-2A make-up of SCOTUS before any similar case goes forward. I may not have the same in-depth understanding of 2A rights and our court system as some on here appear to, but that's how I see it. Better to have as little "risk" as possible, even if we're kept waiting a bit longer. 

• Like 4

Unfortunately Clinton and Obama loaded this court with appointees. They'll choose to hear it since the legislators on the bench have a 7-4 advantage. Don't expect this one to be ruled on based on law. 

“Given the importance of this issue and the prospect that so many of the judges on the D.C. court might not want guns on their streets, they are likely to take this case,” Winkler said.

• Like 1