Sign in to follow this  
Lambo2936

Good punch set?

Hey guys. Ive been looking for a punch set and any i could find have some poor reviews stating that they bend. I understand that it happens sometimes but was hoping someone could point me to a good set. Was looking at the Tekton gunsmithing set or the smaller, cheaper winchester set that comes in a red hard case (but the winchester set doesnt have roll pin punches).
Maybe im better off with a basic stanley set but IDK how well those will work with roll pins and such as we find in AR's.
Thanks for the info!

31 minutes ago, Schrödinger's cat said:

a roll pin punch set is useful.

Both starter punches (which hold a roll pin to get it started) and pimpled punches (used for driving roll pins without fooking up the ends) are extremely useful when doing AR work.

Yeah i intend on getting roll pin punches as well; the sets i was looking at had them as they are "gunsmithing" sets but for 42$ for a set of punches i was worried seeing that the smaller punches bent so easily.

On 7/28/2017 at 2:38 PM, jackandjill said:

I am not assembling and disassembling ARs on daily basis, but I bought the most basic punch set from HF.

I cannot see any component of AR needing such a force that the purch itself is bent. 

https://www.harborfreight.com/8-piece-punch-set-93424.html

i have that set on my reloading bench.. i keep stealing the smallest one to knock out accelerator arm pin on quadrajet carbs..