The brew guy

Suggestions for a new gas grill?

Looks like I may be in the market for a new grill. I'd like to find something fairly equivalent to the old one, after all, I did get 15 years of year round use out of it with only a few replacement parts every 5 years or so. It still looks like new, but parts for a 15 year old grill are made of unobtanium. Char-broil no longer seems to make a "Professional Series" or anything similar, but it was pretty similar to a Viking when I got it in spring of '02. 

Requirements include, natural gas and ALL stainless steel construction. No aluminum, steel, etc.  Cast iron is acceptable for burners and, maybe, grates. Prefer 3 burners, 4 if it fits in the space. It'd be nice to keep it under a grand if possible. I think I paid about $600 way back when, so I'd hope it hasn't quite doubled yet.

I highly recommend Weber. I have had mine for about 8 years and it still cooks great and evenly across the whole surface. It may cost more but you get what you pay for and if you grill a lot it is worth it. Look for some clearance sales at the end of the season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I have the Weber spirit 310 - smallest 3 burner. Works well. Get the version Lowes sells, not the home Depot one. The front panel on the HAD one is easy to break. The Lowes one has a steel door.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Weber makes a Genesis II LE 4 burner grill. Not found at HD or Lowe's but reserved for your local ACE hardware stores or Weber distributors. Same price or at most $50 more as the one from HD or Lowe's but it has SS grates and flavorizer bars. Only comes in 4 burner.

Wish I knew about it before I bought mine from Lowe's

Have a Weber since 2007. First year for radical maintenance.  Had to replace the burners and a little "bubba" work here or there. Had to fab a part that rusted out.  Great place in FL for parts, good pricing and fast shipping www,grillparts.com.

Getting ready to buy my second Weber Spirit E-310. About $500 at Lowe's. The first one is still running, and I replaced the igniter after about 10 years. Still going strong. Clean it thoroughly once a year (grills and flavor bars when required) and it's good to go.

The new one is for the new second house in PA. Hahahaha! Suck it Murphy!

• Like 2

Yeah some nice deals on old stock webers on CL. They had a bunch of overstock that they liquidated about 2 years ago, now. A lot of people are still stuck with em' from back then. I bought a few myself for my family and friends.. half of retail.
Webers are about as good as it gets but they do have a cast aluminum base, i believe.

12 hours ago, BlueLineFish said:

Spend the money...get a weber

LOL,  it's not a matter of money. Weber's top of the line is in the price range, but the quality seems like a step down from what I'm used to. As I said, my current grill still looks new after 15 years, I had to replace the "flavor tamers" after 5 years and replaced the burners "while I was in there," it wasn't until I took the old burners out that I realized they only had a couple flakes of surface rust on 10 lbs of cast iron and had plenty of life left. Another 5 years and another set of flavor tamers, but this time they had stainless ones available so I eliminated the only steel parts in the grill.  My ignites stopped working a while ago and yesterday I discovered that the burners I installed in '07 need replacement. I can get the burners but can't find parts for the ignitors. Now I have a choice, new burners and light it with a lighter, New burners and try to do something with "Universal parts" or a new grill. I could probably go  little more than a grand, what'should scrap stainless going for. I've got about 120 lbs if I replace this thing.

I'm a cheap bastard, and buy the $100 two-burner grill from home depot every 2-3 years.  Big enough to handle most "parties" we have, small enough that it doesn't consume my deck.  I don't even bother covering it.

I've had my stainless TEC grill for over 20 years.  They are expensive, but you pay for what you get.  It is natural gas (can work on propane too) but the burners are totally different.  It is infrared.  Each of the two burners is ceramic with 15,000 tiny holes.  The entire surface just glows red with no flame.  It heats up to something like 1600 degrees.  They warn you when you have it on high not to close the top as the stainless steel will melt.  To cook a steak you cook it about two minutes on each side on high then turn it to low and cook another 5 to 10 minutes.  You end up with a steak that is charred and seared on the outside and rare and juicy on the inside.

2 hours ago, sota said:

I'm a cheap bastard, and buy the $100 two-burner grill from home depot every 2-3 years.  Big enough to handle most "parties" we have, small enough that it doesn't consume my deck.  I don't even bother covering it.

Penny wise, pound foolish.  A $600 Weber will outlast the 3 grills you buy every 2-3 years.  

• Like 3

I haven't had good luck with expensive grills. plus again, they're usually big.  I don't want a big grill.

And I just looked; spent $105 that day to get the grill, paver stones, and some plants, so That grill must have been well under $100 that day.

I'm sure there might be a few out there but I haven't met anyone who bought a Weber and then regretted it. Mine arrived with a dented door. UPS more than Weber's fault I'm sure. Called Weber and they not only shipped out a new door priority but sent me a free vegetable grill pan. 5 years later and not a single issue.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Weber is the way to go. Register it and any problems will be handled 100% guaranteed. I have a Summit 470 and love it though I do use my Weber Performer 22-1/2" more now, has a gas ignition to light the charcoal. Got it off Craigslist for $100.00, what a great deal on a great grill. Just needed a new grate and a little cleaning.