james.alan.18041

Hello from Joint Base MDL, NJ

Moved here from FL two weeks ago. Big gun enthusiast, was just starting to get into IDPA before I left. I shoot SSP with a Glock 19. Also into medium range (400-800 yards). Have quite a collection but my go-to range calibers are 6.5 Grendel and 22 NOSLER--both custom builds. Looking forward to meeting other shooters and learning from some of y'all in the local shooting scene.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome to the land of the not-quite-free and the home of the hopeful.

The only 600yd range in the state open to civilians is Cumberland Riflemen in Millville (Cumberland County). Check out the match schedule at http://www.cumberlandmatches.com . Next weekend (Aug 5/6) is match weekend there, open to members and non-members alike. The front gate on Rt 49 (normally accessed by key card) is locked open during matches on the big range, so feel free to come down and check it out! New shooters are always welcome and a 600yd zero is a good thing to have!

Welcome! Smartforce?

Yes

Welcome to the land of the not-quite-free and the home of the hopeful.
The only 600yd range in the state open to civilians is Cumberland Riflemen in Millville (Cumberland County). Check out the match schedule at http://www.cumberlandmatches.com . Next weekend (Aug 5/6) is match weekend there, open to members and non-members alike. The front gate on Rt 49 (normally accessed by key card) is locked open during matches on the big range, so feel free to come down and check it out! New shooters are always welcome and a 600yd zero is a good thing to have!

Good to know, thank you. Been looking at places to shoot but coming up short.

12 hours ago, james.alan.18041 said:

...was just starting to get into IDPA before I left. I shoot SSP with a Glock 19. 

Florida to NJ? You have my sympathy and welcome to the board.

There is a pretty active IDPA and USPSA community in NJ and our neighbor to the west. Two clubs in South Jersey - Quinton and SJSC. More activity farther north. Check out the sticky for the whole story.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

14 hours ago, james.alan.18041 said:

Moved here from FL two weeks ago. Big gun enthusiast, was just starting to get into IDPA before I left. I shoot SSP with a Glock 19. Also into medium range (400-800 yards). Have quite a collection but my go-to range calibers are 6.5 Grendel and 22 NOSLER--both custom builds. Looking forward to meeting other shooters and learning from some of y'all in the local shooting scene.

Academy?

Thanks for all the kind welcomes. I've been reading the different topics in this forum and can't find anywhere the discussion of Jersey specific things. As a new member of the Jersey community, figured there might be somewhere that explains some of the basics for those of us new to the Jersey shooting scene. Example, did I read somewhere that you have to have a special license to buy ammo? What's an FPID? Is each county/township different in how they approach license to purchase? Do you need separate licenses for multiple firearms which one would like to purchase?

These are just some examples, I have a TON of questions. TIA!!

While the topics you are looking for come up time to time, we don't really have a dedicated section like that because hardly anyone from a free state moves here.  At least not willingly.  If you can't find what you are looking for using search, just ask in the appropriate thread and you will get more answers than you can shake a stick at.

Welcome to the forum

2 hours ago, james.alan.18041 said:

Thanks for all the kind welcomes. I've been reading the different topics in this forum and can't find anywhere the discussion of Jersey specific things. As a new member of the Jersey community, figured there might be somewhere that explains some of the basics for those of us new to the Jersey shooting scene. Example, did I read somewhere that you have to have a special license to buy ammo? What's an FPID? Is each county/township different in how they approach license to purchase? Do you need separate licenses for multiple firearms which one would like to purchase?

These are just some examples, I have a TON of questions. TIA!!

Hello and Welcome from someone who made the reverse voyage from NJ to FL, and am enjoying it immensely.

Here are some of the basics you need to know.

1)  FPID - Firearms Purchaser ID card -  You need this in order to purchase and transport:  Long Guns (including shot guns), the ammo for said long guns, and to purchase pistol ammo in NJ.  You obtain it from your local Police Dept. (or branch of the NJ State police) that serves your municipality. Each municipality has it's own rules and requirements (although they really aren't supposed to - there is a state guideline to follow).  

2)  P2P - Permit to Purchase a Handgun and form of register - These are required in order to purchase each and every handgun in NJ. You are limited to purchasing one (1) handgun every 30 calendar days (OGAM - One Gun a Month). Each permit is valid for 90 days from the date of issue, and you can have the CLEO of your municipality extend it for an additional 90 days.  You can apply for as many as many of these as you like, but, because of OGAM, it makes no sense to apply for more than six (6) at a time.  

3)  You can apply for one or both of the above docs with the following forms, per State guidelines

a)   STS-033  Application for FPID and/or P2P docs

b)   SP-066 - Consent to obtain Mental Health Records Check.

In addition, you'll need to be fingerprinted for the first time you use the above forms. Go to this URL:  Ident-To-GO...

Subsequently, you'll need only do a 212a Criminal  Background check via this URL  212a Check. But let the LEA advise you.

The State guidelines call for at least two references not living with you to complete a form. This will be provided by the LEA They may also have other requirements (but they really shouldn't - If they do. search for threads on here re: Operation "Strikeforce").

4) Weapons you Bring into NJ.- If you brought any weapons into NJ with you , you do not need to register them or have P2Ps for them... only for hand guns you "buy" in NJ. But you must make sure they are "NJ Legal"  (compliant with NJ regs regarding permitted firearms). And there are a ton of them.  Many of the weapons you might have bought in FL are *not* NJ legal. Be very careful. Magazines in NJ are limited to 15 rounds for all types, including AR Pmag types.

5)  NJ Firearms Book.  - If you're familiar with the John H. Gutmacher book on Florida Fireams Ownership, I recommend you buy this NJ Equivalent book - NJ Gun Law by Evan Nappen. It's a lot bigger and more expensive, but you'll get a feel for what NJ law entails.

6) JHP - Be VERY careful with JHP ammo. Although not, technically "illegal," it is heavily controlled and regulated. You can only use it in certain places and conditions. Treat each Hollow point round as if it were a hand gun in itself.  You *cannot*  use it for HD/SD.

7) Carrying - You CANNOT carry a handgun outside of your home or business without a NJ carry permit. And those are extremely hard to get.  There are only roughly ~1200 active permits today, to my recollection. You have to be very well connected with the county judiciary to get one (as the county judge is the final stopping point for most apps, even if the CLEO were to approve it).  Even retired LEOs have difficulty at times.   Trust me, this ain't Florida!

8) Duty To Retreat - NJ Law does not have SYG. You do have a duty to retreat. If you ever have to shoot someone in HD/SD, prepare to be charged with something...  NJ Prosecutors just don't care for people using guns for HD/SD.  

Just remember that, in general, NJ Makes firearms ownership and usage "illegal," unless said ownership/usage falls within the very limited and enumerated exemptions in State Law. Get to know that law.  Study the Evan Nappen book. 

Hope this helps. It will be quite a learning curve coming from FL.  PM me with any other questions or concerns.

Regards,
Arnold.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, HBecwithFn7 said:

Hello and Welcome from someone who made the reverse voyage from NJ to FL, and am enjoying it immensely.

1)  FPID - Firearms Purchaser ID card -  You need this in order to purchase and transport:  Long Guns (including shot guns), the ammo for said long guns, and to purchase pistol ammo in NJ.  You obtain it from your local Police Dept. (or branch of the NJ State police) that serves your municipality. Each municipality has it's own rules and requirements (although they really aren't supposed to - there is a state guideline to follow).  

2)  P2P - Permit to Purchase a Handgun and form of register - These are required in order to purchase each and every handgun in NJ. You are limited to purchasing one (1) handgun every 30 calendar days (OGAM - One Gun a Month). Each permit is valid for 90 days from the date of issue, and you can have the CLEO of your municipality extend it for an additional 90 days.  You can apply for as many as many of these as you like, but, because of OGAM, it makes no sense to apply for more than six (6) at a time.  

3)  You can apply for one or both of the above docs with the following forms, per State guidelines

In addition, you'll need to be fingerprinted for the first time you use the above forms. Go to this URL:  Ident-To-GO...

Subsequently, you'll need only do a 212a Criminal  Background check via this URL  212a Check. But let the LEA advise you.

The State guidelines call for at least two references not living with you to complete a form. This will be provided by the LEA They may also have other requirements (but they really shouldn't - If they do. search for threads on here re: Operation "Strikeforce").

4) Weapons you Bring into NJ.- If you brought any weapons into NJ with you , you do not need to register them or have P2Ps for them... only for hand guns you "buy" in NJ. But you must make sure they are "NJ Legal"  (compliant with NJ regs regarding permitted firearms). And there are a ton of them.  Many of the weapons you might have bought in FL are *not* NJ legal. Be very careful. Magazines in NJ are limited to 15 rounds for all types, including AR Pmag types.

5)  NJ Firearms Book.  - If you're familiar with the John H. Gutmacher book on Florida Fireams Ownership, I recommend you buy this NJ Equivalent book - NJ Gun Law by Evan Nappen. It's a lot bigger and more expensive, but you'll get a feel for what NJ law entails.

6) JHP - Be VERY careful with JHP ammo. Although not, technically "illegal," it is heavily controlled and regulated. You can only use it in certain places and conditions. Treat each Hollow point round as if it were a hand gun in itself.  You *cannot*  use it for HD/SD.

7) Carrying - You CANNOT carry a handgun outside of your home or business without a NJ carry permit. And those are extremely hard to get.  There are only roughly ~1200 active permits today, to my recollection. You have to be very well connected with the county judiciary to get one (as the county judge is the final stopping point for most apps, even if the CLEO were to approve it).  Even retired LEOs have difficulty at times.   Trust me, this ain't Florida!

8) Duty To Retreat - NJ Law does not have SYG. You do have a duty to retreat. If you ever have to shoot someone in HD/SD, prepare to be charged with something...  NJ Prosecutors just don't care for people using guns for HD/SD.  

Just remember that, in general, NJ Makes firearms ownership and usage "illegal," unless said ownership/usage falls within the very limited and enumerated exemptions in State Law. Get to know that law.  Study the Evan Nappen book. 

Hope this helps. It will be quite a learning curve coming from FL.  PM me with any other questions or concerns.

Regards,
Arnold.

That is an awesome post and should probably be stickied, great job.

Only other weird NJ thing I would add is semi auto shotgun is limited to 6 in the tube. Pump is more but IDK what it is, maybe 15?

14 minutes ago, louu said:

That is an awesome post and should probably be stickied, great job.

Only other weird NJ thing I would add is semi auto shotgun is limited to 6 in the tube. Pump is more but IDK what it is, maybe 15?

Correct.  A semi-auto is limited to 6+1 rounds and no pistol grip.  A pump has  no limit, IIRC.

One other thing. Be sure your FFL times your P2P usage correctly.  That 30 day clock is absolute, and any time sooner than that will result in a denial.  I recommend Steve (remixer) for your FFL needs. If you can get to his shop.  He'll  do you right!

5 minutes ago, bootman said:

This topic has been discussed here before.

And  yes, there were 142 replies and 142 separate opinions on the legality of using JHP for HD/SD.  AFAIC,  When living in NJ, I chose to err on the side of caution. I used Hornady "Critical Duty" for my HD/SD. 

I'm with those who believe that JHP is *not* authorized for HD/SD use in NJ. Again, as I said before, that doesn't mean they're "illegal" as there are exemptions in the law for using JHP. 

HD/SD, not being one of them. :nono:

14 hours ago, HBecwithFn7 said:

And  yes, there were 142 replies and 142 separate opinions on the legality of using JHP for HD/SD.  AFAIC,  When living in NJ, I chose to err on the side of caution. I used Hornady "Critical Duty" for my HD/SD. 

I'm with those who believe that JHP is *not* authorized for HD/SD use in NJ. Again, as I said before, that doesn't mean they're "illegal" as there are exemptions in the law for using JHP. 

HD/SD, not being one of them. :nono:

I'm a US Law Shield member and I posted this question on their forum.

Since Nappen's law firm is affiliated with them (and who you get when you need help by using the service) I'll trust the answer they give as being definitive.

https://forum.texaslawshield.com/index.php/topic,2446.0.html

Al

18 hours ago, HBecwithFn7 said:

Regards,
Arnold.

1-No, you don't need a FPID to transport long guns. You need FPID to transport long guns outside the exempted places. No, you don't need a FPID to buy long gun caliber ammo. The only exemption being .22lr since it's also used on pistols.

6-JHP are as illegal as guns. Meaning, they aren't and there's nothing technical about it. Controlled? yes, and even more so than guns but not illegal,

------------------

Now, OP. Welcome to NJ and you have my deepest sympathies. A valuable skill you'll need as you navigate this board is to learn how to separate what the law is from the opinions of what the law says. There's a few guys here that are really good at stating the law. You'll figure out who they are.

Good luck

44 minutes ago, WP22 said:

1-No, you don't need a FPID to transport long guns. You need FPID to transport long guns outside the exempted places.

Which means, effectively, you still need one anyway because you need to get the long gun to/from the "exempted places." And good luck trying to convince a LEO that you don't need one, even in the "exempted places."

No, you don't need a FPID to buy long gun caliber ammo. The only exemption being .22lr since it's also used on pistols.

That is true. I never needed one to purchase Shot Gun shells, which is all I ever purchased from a store in NJ. I have no experience in purchasing long gun ammo in NJ. I had all my pistol ammo shipped via mail order.  And, oddly enough, none of the mail order merchants ever asked me for my FPID. :o:nono:

6-JHP are as illegal as guns. Meaning, they aren't and there's nothing technical about it. Controlled? yes, and even more so than guns but not illegal,

I never said they *were* illegal.  I said exactly what you did... Heavily "controlled/restricted" in their use. And that HD/SD is *not* an authorized use, IMHO.

6 minutes ago, HBecwithFn7 said:

Which means, effectively, you still need one anyway because you need to get the long gun to/from the "exempted places.

Whut?

Home to shotting range---No FPID needed

Home to second home or other property you own---No FPID needed

Home to gunsmith---NO FPID

Those are some exempt places--you don't need an FPID to transport between them.

Home to 7-11 to shoprite to laundry mat to home--those are not exempt places--you need a FPID to transport between them.

----