james.alan.18041

Hello from Joint Base MDL, NJ

On 7/29/2017 at 8:16 AM, james.alan.18041 said:

Moved here from FL two weeks ago. Big gun enthusiast, was just starting to get into IDPA before I left. I shoot SSP with a Glock 19. Also into medium range (400-800 yards). Have quite a collection but my go-to range calibers are 6.5 Grendel and 22 NOSLER--both custom builds. Looking forward to meeting other shooters and learning from some of y'all in the local shooting scene.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some misinformation being propagated here.

In order to help clear things up there is an important question I need to ask.  Do you live in post/base housing? I realize all post/base housing is not located on the main post.  If you're home and call the police who comes? MPs/SPs? DOD Police? State or Local Police?

9 minutes ago, WP22 said:

Whut?

Home to shotting range---No FPID needed

Home to second home or other property you own---No FPID needed

Home to gunsmith---NO FPID

Those are some exempt places--you don't need an FPID to transport between them.

Home to 7-11 to shoprite to laundry mat to home--those are not exempt places--you need a FPID to transport between them.

Like I said, good luck convincing a LEO that you don't need to have one.... even in or between "exempted places."  Am I glad I no longer need one at all!

Hollow points....Nappen addresses them (page 22) in his NJ Gun Law book. Mostly talks about possession, travel. At the end of many of his topics he discusses things to watch out for- "loopholes & pitfalls". In this one for hp's he talks about loosys in the car, hp on a keychain, the no moving exemption....you'd think if there was an issue of self-defense use it would be mentioned, it is not.

9 minutes ago, siderman said:

Hollow points....Nappen addresses them (page 22) in his NJ Gun Law book. Mostly talks about possession, travel. At the end of many of his topics he discusses things to watch out for- "loopholes & pitfalls". In this one for hp's he talks about loosys in the car, hp on a keychain, the no moving exemption....you'd think if there was an issue of self-defense use it would be mentioned, it is not.

And, on that page, he also says:

Under NJSA 2C:39-3 f, possession of hollow nose ammunition is prohibited, unless a person  is engaged in activities pursuant to NJSA 2C:39-6f (which includes: target shooting and hunting).

To expand on NJSA 2C: 39-6f:

f.Nothing in subsections b., c. and d. of N.J.S.2C:39-5 shall be construed to prevent:

(1)A member of any rifle or pistol club organized in accordance with the rules prescribed by the National Board for the Promotion of Rifle Practice, in going to or from a place of target practice, carrying such firearms as are necessary for said target practice, provided that the club has filed a copy of its charter with the superintendent and annually submits a list of its members to the superintendent and provided further that the firearms are carried in the manner specified in subsection g. of this section;

(2)A person carrying a firearm or knife in the woods or fields or upon the waters of this State for the purpose of hunting, target practice or fishing, provided that the firearm or knife is legal and appropriate for hunting or fishing purposes in this State and he has in his possession a valid hunting license, or, with respect to fresh water fishing, a valid fishing license;

(3)A person transporting any firearm or knife while traveling:

(a)Directly to or from any place for the purpose of hunting or fishing, provided the person has in his possession a valid hunting or fishing license; or

(b)Directly to or from any target range, or other authorized place for the purpose of practice, match, target, trap or skeet shooting exhibitions, provided in all cases that during the course of the travel all firearms are carried in the manner specified in subsection g. of this section and the person has complied with all the provisions and requirements of Title 23 of the Revised Statutes and any amendments thereto and all rules and regulations promulgated thereunder; or

(c)In the case of a firearm, directly to or from any exhibition or display of firearms which is sponsored by any law enforcement agency, any rifle or pistol club, or any firearms collectors club, for the purpose of displaying the firearms to the public or to the members of the organization or club, provided, however, that not less than 30 days prior to the exhibition or display, notice of the exhibition or display shall be given to the Superintendent of the State Police by the sponsoring organization or club, and the sponsor has complied with such reasonable safety regulations as the superintendent may promulgate.  Any firearms transported pursuant to this section shall be transported in the manner specified in subsection g. of this section;

(4)A person from keeping or carrying about a private or commercial aircraft or any boat, or from transporting to or from such vessel for the purpose of installation or repair a visual distress signaling device approved by the United States Coast Guard.

Nowhere in 2C: 39-6f (above) do I see an exemption for "HD/SD" use of JHPs.  

Just sayin'....  :dontknow:

51 minutes ago, HBecwithFn7 said:

And, on that page, he also says:

To expand on NJSA 2C: 39-6f:

Nowhere in 2C: 39-6f (above) do I see an exemption for "HD/SD" use of JHPs.  

Just sayin'....  :dontknow:

I dont see an exemption carved out for "allowing" regular ammo when used in SD either, does that too make it illegal by default? Its all about use of the firearm, I think the real answer is somewhere in the use of force disciplines. Didn't you leave because of this shit lol.  

19 minutes ago, siderman said:

I dont see an exemption carved out for "allowing" regular ammo when used in SD either, does that too make it illegal by default? Its all about use of the firearm, I think the real answer is somewhere in the use of force disciplines. Didn't you leave because of this shit lol.  

But there isn't a "prohibition" enumerated against regular ammo, either. As Nappen says, NJSA 2C: 39-3 f prohibits "possession" of Hollow point ammo, "unless a person  is engaged in activities pursuant to NJSA 2C:39-6f."  2C: 39-3f specifically mentions Hollow Point Ammo possession as "prohibited"  unless possessed and used per 2C: 39-6f.  I don't believe "regular" ammo is specifically mentioned as "prohibited" anywhere.

And, yes, I left NJ for a plethora of reasons... that being one of them. :D 

welcome!   (but I would have stayed in FL)  

That's where I was supposed to retire but out of approximately 1,000 people in the USAF who do what I do, I was the top recommendation to take the posting here. So, here I am. The dynamic here is unique to put it lightly. Only been here a couple of weeks and I really like it here. It's country feeling, people are nice (around this area), and it's a slow pace. In fact, I really like it. I just like my guns more than any of those things. So at the end of this four year tour, I'm getting as far away from NJ as possible. Unless things changed with firearms regulations. Then I would consider staying permanently. But I doubt that'll happen.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, james.alan.18041 said:

That's where I was supposed to retire but out of approximately 1,000 people in the USAF who do what I do, I was the top recommendation to take the posting here. So, here I am. The dynamic here is unique to put it lightly. Only been here a couple of weeks and I really like it here. It's country feeling, people are nice (around this area), and it's a slow pace. In fact, I really like it. I just like my guns more than any of those things. So at the end of this four year tour, I'm getting as far away from NJ as possible. Unless things changed with firearms regulations. Then I would consider staying permanently. But I doubt that'll happen.

Would it be worth considering "commuting" from either Delaware or Penn.?   PA would be infinitely better from a 2A perspective. Even Del. would be better. They may be "May Issue" technically but in practice they act like "shall issue."  Or do you have to live "on base?"   BTW, my dad had to do 2 years at McGuire in the 1960's. It was his dental residency.   That was back when they had the F-106 wing, there. 

I love that area. I have friends who live down there. It's as close to country as you'll get in this state. It also has a pretty cool history. Other than that this state sucks ass. You'll learn quickly that gun laws are only some of the questionable/grey-area laws in this state. Everything here is questionable, and 90 percent of the population here are "criminals" even if they are good people and don't intend to be.

Oh, they're going to change soon, I'm afraid  :mad:
https://www.murphy4nj.com/issue/gun-violence/

If you read the first half, and then scroll down to the bottom, some of the information there contradicts itself.

Yeah I almost forgot, you're about to have a new governor who looks like someone's creepy uncle.