Zeke

FAA pilots and ham radio

Gentleman fliers. Did we or did we not fill out an FCC license for our pilot license.

Its 20 years ago for me, and college is, um, fuzzy.

if the answer is yes, of whom do I contact to get the information. I remember doing sumtin with the FCC back in the 90's

2 hours ago, Zeke said:

Gentleman fliers. Did we or did we not fill out an FCC license for our pilot license.

Its 20 years ago for me, and college is, um, fuzzy.

if the answer is yes, of whom do I contact to get the information. I remember doing sumtin with the FCC back in the 90's

Back in the day, pilots would have needed a radio operator's license, but that requirement was dropped for domestic flights some time ago.   More recently certificated pilots won't typically have one, unless they plan to fly internationally.

I don't know how to go about checking with the FCC to find an old license.  

• Like 3

Can't speak for flying but you used to need a FCC license for a VHF on a pleasure boat.  I remember when you use to have to get a license for a CB.  Not sure when they stopped that.  All of those, as I'm sure the one private pilots had to get, were some type of restricted license not the same as a ham license. Restricted to use of the radio while engaged in that activity.

For CB the activity was breathing.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, 1LtCAP said:

got mine 6 months after 911. i was supposed to take my checkride in sept........but.....well...you know the crazy shit that went on afterwards........

K I'll ck FCC site. Pretty sure I got a license for sumtin .... back then....

Got mine in 1986.  I recall it going the way of the DoDo bird by the early 90's for domestic flights.

And it's been a while, the the two R's in ARROW were radio station license and registration for the aircraft. I k ow you didn't ask Zeke...but figure that might be of interest if the operator license was.  

The ARRL has a spot to look up FCC licenses but if you had something that long ago it may not show up and may not be in the database. The old CB licenses aren’t available, too long ago. Most fcc licenses expire so if you did have something it likely isn’t valid anymore. 

Getting a ham Technician license isn’t very difficult.