CageFighter

new laptop suggestions...

Im looking for a personal laptop for my wife and not interested in spending over $5-600. Prefer a 13-14" screen.  No gaming will be done. I am currently using a Dell E7450 for work and love it.

Primary use would be internet surfing and my wife needs to run a program to work from home. Im far from an IT guy, so I looking to the techies for advise.  Is there anything you guys recc? 

Thanks in advance. 

https://www.dealzon.com/deals/lenovo-ideapad-500-15-coupon#lenovo-ideapad-510s-80tk002jus

Go with at least a core i3 if not core i5 processor.  SSD would be better/faster/more reliable but at your price point you're not gonna get one with a SSD.

Search online for discount codes for Dell Refurbed machines. I recently got a Dell i7 notebook with a 48% off coupon that cost me less than $250 and looks brand new. These are typically corporate leased machines and they replace any parts that are not in excellent condition.

• Like 1

If your wife is really only surfing, running a remote access app and not storing gigabytes of data (pictures?) on it, then:

Minimum Core i3 processor (i5 is better) and 4GB memory (8GB if you can) and 120 GB or larger disk. A 120GB SSD is not that expensive, and as KS pointed out it is quicker and more reliable. Windows 10 only occupies about 20GB initially and needs about another 20 when it updates (like the Creators one they just forced out!). So 40 for the OS and 80 for your wife. All other factors are negligible.

If you can't do an SSD and/or want more than 120GB storage make sure the disk is 7,200 RPM. Not 5,400. The disk is always the slowest component in the computer.

I too have used Dell Refurbished machines with no issues and significant cost savings.

Try SNOWE6430 as a code at Dell.com, it claims 50% of a refurbed laptop with free shipping.  That is the machine I got  an e6430 with the i7, 4gigs ram and a 320gig 7200rpm drive  and really nice 14" display for $245.

5 hours ago, CageFighter said:

Im looking for a personal laptop for my wife and not interested in spending over $5-600. Prefer a 13-14" screen.  No gaming will be done. I am currently using a Dell E7450 for work and love it.

Primary use would be internet surfing and my wife needs to run a program to work from home. Im far from an IT guy, so I looking to the techies for advise.  Is there anything you guys recc? 

Thanks in advance. 

My nerd buddy that runs capital one, hates dell. Always steers me to Lenovo. About all I can say. He did run ING before. 

Hope that helpz

17 hours ago, jackandjill said:

Do you need it to be mobile - taking from room to room and on vacation / traveling ?

both

16 hours ago, Howard said:

Search online for discount codes for Dell Refurbed machines. I recently got a Dell i7 notebook with a 48% off coupon that cost me less than $250 and looks brand new. These are typically corporate leased machines and they replace any parts that are not in excellent condition.

this may be an option.   what website did u buy from?

I run Citrix for work on a Chromebook.  If the personal uses will only be things like e-mail, web browsing and watching videos, the Chromebook should suffice.  For being under $300 and having a 10hr battery life, it's often the only computer I need to bring with me anywhere.

I have a spare Chromebook I can let you borrow if you want to take it for a test drive.

I purchased refurbed stuff direct from the dell website or I think also they have a separate refurb web site.  You have to hit the stuff when they are having a sale, which seems like at least once a month, then you apply the discounts on top of that.

2 minutes ago, Howard said:

I purchased refurbed stuff direct from the dell website or I think also they have a separate refurb web site.  You have to hit the stuff when they are having a sale, which seems like at least once a month, then you apply the discounts on top of that.

http://www.dell.com/learn/us/en/22/campaigns/outlet?c=us&l=en&s=dfh&redirect=1

Looks like there's a 10% off sale on their outlet computers right now.

https://www.dealzon.com/deals/dell-latitude-e7240?ref=deal_newsletter

Dell Latitude E7240 Core i5-4300U, 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD (Refurbished)

Intel Core i5 - Integrated GPU - 8GB RAM - 128GB Storage - SSD - 12.5" Display - 720p
Dell Latitude E7240 Core i5-4300U, 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD (Refurbished)

Woot    $299.99

On 7/31/2017 at 4:38 PM, Howard said:

x2  i've bought excellent laptops and desktops this way.  look for the coupon codes at fatwallet.com 

Dell also tends to up the coupons around holidays