TripleD

3rd Handgun Suggestions?

I have a CZ 75 SP-01 9mm, I just ordered a S&W 686+ .357 magnum with a 4" barrel, and have another permit to purchase which is good until mid-October. The S&W revolver will be used as my home defense gun (probably will get Crimson Trace laser grips for the 686+). The CZ has been and will continue to be a range gun (can't say enough good things about that pistol).  For my 3rd handgun, I'd like something a little different from what I already have and it will also be used at the range.  I asked someone at my local gun shop (Heritage Guild Rahway) what he might get and he suggested a 1911 style .45. I held a few at the store and preferred how the rounded back ("bobtail, fastback") felt as opposed to the traditional style which cut into my hand. The Sig Sauer Fastback Nightmare looked and felt great. However, I'm not 100% sure that I'm going with a 1911. I'm open to suggestions.  What would you guys get as a 3rd handgun? I have big hands so small guns are not an option.  I would like a different caliber gun from what I have and I'm not a big fan of polymer.  I would consider polymer for a 9mm if I didn't already own one.  I don't love the feel of a polymer shooting larger caliber ammo - less enjoyable IMO.  Thanks in advance for your replies!

CZ 97B.  

45 in a CZ.  Some day I'll own one.  I have several 1911's and I love them.  You can't go wrong with one.  Also, you can change the mainspring housing out to one that is arched to accommodate larger hands or go with a "bob-tail" or a "round-butt" which is not as sharp on the back corner.  

Or, grab another revolver in either 45ACP or 44Mag.  I have a 625 and it's the most fun revolver I currently have.  I love it.  I'm working on a 44 which will be a Ruger Alaskan.  

Good luck.  

• Like 1

Third handgun? Third Generation S&W...

CopperCustom had CHP .40s... all stainless, with integrated rail, and decock only. Think they are in the $300 range. Plus, they are sending $15 of that to fight gun rights in CA, as civilians couldn't buy those pistols, as they are not on the list.

Get your hands on a Dan Wesson V-Bob -- I know Heritage guild in Easton had them in stock last time I was there -- Someplace you can at least get your hands on one 

Actually that heritage guild is a good place to get your hands on a lot of pistols -- No matter if you buy there or not

• Like 2

Well, you already have 2 hammer fired DA/SA guns. I would suggest something striker fired. 

Don't discount a larger caliber polymer pistol. I had a Glock 21 Gen 4. Probably the most accurate and best handling .45 I ever shot. It's a big gun made for big hands. 

It's also the only gun I regret selling.

• Like 1

I think you should give Glock a try. I know you don't like polymer, but there's no scientific reason not to. If it's about durability, I'd say a Glock will hold up far longer than any 1911 would. The .40s are accurate and reliable shooters that handle very well. I used to say I hated polymer, hated striker fired, etc. then I actually fired a Glock and felt embarrassed about all that nonsense. 

• Like 1

Thanks for all the suggestions. More are certainly welcome! Despite not having loved the couple of polymer guns I've fired, and really liking the feel of a heavier gun, I definitely do not hate polymer and have an open mind about all this.  What I do like is variety and quality. I've got, IMO, 2 pretty reputable guns (CZ75 SP-01 and the S&W 686+).  I think the Gock 21 Gen4 .45 would round out my collection pretty nicely at this point. A striker-fired polymer .45 would be quite different from an all-metal, hammer-fired 9mm and a .357 revolver. I need to handle the Glock 21 (and maybe an HK45) to make sure but I'm leaning towards holding off on the 1911.  I really liked how the Sig Nightmare felt and the V-Bob (probably with the duty finish because the stainless has a weak finish apparently) seems really impressive. The Sig gets some mixed reviews but I think it looks and feels like a quality 1911 (most reviews are pretty positive). The Dan Wessons seem to have the closest quality to the custom 1911s but are not over $2000 like the big names (like Brown, Baer and Wilson). Still the black V-Bobs are between $1500 and $2000 and I'm not sure I'm quite ready to spend that on a gun - maybe down the road if I really get into it. I plan to get to a couple of local gun shops and get my hands on a few more .45s.  I'll definitely check back in when I've decided.  Thanks again for all the suggestions/advice!

Glock 21s come in a short frame (SF) variation too which means the grip is narrower in the front to back measurement for smaller hands.  

Handling a gun is one thing...  id go out and rent a few IMO to see what shoots better for you.  Cant go wrong with a glock but there are so many choices.  In the glock price range you also have the walther ppq which is phenomenal.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, fatty said:

Glock 21s come in a short frame (SF) variation too which means the grip is narrower in the front to back measurement for smaller hands.  

Handling a gun is one thing...  id go out and rent a few IMO to see what shoots better for you.  Cant go wrong with a glock but there are so many choices.  In the glock price range you also have the walther ppq which is phenomenal.

There is no Glock 21 SF version in Gen 4. That is Gen 3 only. The Gen 4 frame is the same size as the SF with no grip backstrap installed. 

• Like 1

You are off to a fantastic start with your first two choices.

I would recommend you look at the Ruger SR1911s.  Ruger makes very good quality firearms at an attractive price point.  If you were ever to need it, I've heard they have outstanding customer support as well.  The SR1911 line now has several different sizes (full size, commander, etc).  The 45 round is not a very hard hitting round either.  I was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed it the first time I shot a 45.

I also have friends who have Springfield Armory 1911s and they like them as well.  Also come in different sizes and "trim levels".  

Good luck with your next purchase.  Let us know what you decide on.  If your first two choices are any indication, I'm sure your third will be a nice addition!

• Like 1

So after a few weeks of looking at 1911s and various other .45s, I've decided to go with a Glock.  A nice 1911 is definitely in my future (when I get some more permits), but I think I'm going with the polymer, striker-fired Glock 21 Gen4 or 41. I like the idea of having 3 very different guns and, hopefully, becoming proficient with all 3. The decision between the 21 and 41 is not an easy one.  They both feel good.  Initially, I was drawn to the look and weight of the 21, but the increased sight radius of the 41 is appealing. Shooting both to compare is probably not going to happen before the permit expires so I'm relying on tons of videos and forums.  A mounted light, which I may do, seems to look better on the 41 and might give it the slight increase in weight to make it similar to the 21.  Does anyone have experience handling either or both?  Any input would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

I have posted this before, for me the "core four" are:

• 1911 in .45
  • 357 mag revolver
  • 9/40 cal semi automatic
  • .22 pistol

Considering you have the SP01, and a .357 I would go for a 1911 or a .22.

.22 is much cheaper to shoot and is great to introduce new shooters to the sport. If you have kids, this is a good option to get them into the sport.

If you are looking at the G21, check out the HK45 as well.

• Like 1

Hi TripleD,

I am waiting on some permits right now so I know how all the options can be overwhelming :)

I like the 1911 option. You can get one in 45 and get a 22lr upper for it and you can practice with cheaper 22 or teach a friend easier then with 45. I do that with my 1911 and my sig p220. 

The other option I can think of is a S&W 617 or Ruger GP100 22lr. I have a 617 and like it a lot. Haven't tried the gp100 22 but I have a GP100 MC 357 and it's pretty sweet. Since you ordered a S&W 686, the 617 is very similar in weight, trigger pull and feel out of the box so if you were looking for a nice, very accurate 22 that doubles as a cheaper practice gun for your 686, that'd be a nice choice.

I actually ordered a S&W Victory for the first permit as a fun range gun and maybe for 22 bullseye if I like it enough but still deciding on what to do with the other permits.

I think this permit thing backfired on NJ, it almost forces you to get more handguns just because if you go through the trouble to get the permits, you feel obligated to get as many as you can and then have to use them LOL

Let us know what you decide. There are a ton of great guns out there to choose from. 

P.S. just noticed you decided on a Glock. Gen 5 just came out so you might want to take a look at those. Not sure if there will be any deals on gen 4 models. 

• Like 1

The permit thing definitely backfired. Only once have I let them expire so almost every time I want one handgun I buy 3. Then if I want more than 3 I can file for an exemption to OGAM. Really makes no sense.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

On August 27, 2017 at 9:04 AM, tomk62 said:

Tactical Training Center in Flemington has a Glock 41 for rent. 

Thanks for the advice. I went there on Saturday and rented the Glock 41. I actually shot it pretty well, but I really didn't enjoy how it felt.  I've watched and read plenty of reviews on the Glock 41 and some describe it as feeling "snappier" than the Glock 21.  I think I understand what they mean by snappy.  My trigger finger actually felt uncomfortable after each magazine. Now I'm leaning back towards the 1911. Lol.

The point made about the NJ permits is dead on.  You feel a pressure to get the 2nd or 3rd gun before time is up.  I'm gonna keep shopping and try to get to the range within the next couple of weeks.  If I find something I like, I'll buy it.  If I have to let it expire and get some new permits, that's life. I definitely don't want to force it because of a permit expiration date. Thanks again everyone.  More suggestions are welcome and I'll keep you posted when I FINALLY make up my mind.

• Like 1

1911's are fantastic, and as I stated earlier one of the core guns that I think a shooter should own. The hardest part is wading through the 1000 options that are available. My advice is pick a budget, because it is too easy to get tempted by hi end 1911 bling (nothing wrong with that if you can afford it) or getting a sub-standard gun and regretting it. The good news is that most 1911's are pretty reliable now. 

Some suggestions based upon budget (if you care for my opinions).

750-1000

• SA Range Officer
  • S&W
  • Sig

1000-1500

• STI
  • Dan Wesson

1500-2000

• Les Baer

• Like 1

If OP hasn't purchased yet I have 2 more suggestions:

Look at the Sig P220 and the Beretta 92FS.  Both are full-size and proven performers.  How much bling you get on either one is a function of how much you want to spend, and the core components remain the same.

• Like 1

FYI - you can request extension on your permit.  Go to PD before it expires and request extension.  That way not as constrained or pressured to buy before it expires.   Also don't have to waste time reapplying.

Screw the permit process.  It intimidates many people from even applying.  Some PDs intentionally create additional paperwork and obstacles to deter people.  If the same procedures were applied to voting (verifying citizenship, must have special id for voting only receivable through applying to PD via FID prcocess, etc) the left would be in an uproar.

• Like 2

On September 6, 2017 at 7:05 AM, gleninjersey said:

FYI - you can request extension on your permit.  Go to PD before it expires and request extension.  That way not as constrained or pressured to buy before it expires.   Also don't have to waste time reapplying.

Screw the permit process.  It intimidates many people from even applying.  Some PDs intentionally create additional paperwork and obstacles to deter people.  If the same procedures were applied to voting (verifying citizenship, must have special id for voting only receivable through applying to PD via FID prcocess, etc) the left would be in an uproar.

I actually have extended the permit and it expires on 10/12.  If I don't make a decision/purchase by then, then I'll just apply for more (at least I used 2 out of the 3 I got).  Edison wasn't too bad as far as wait time.

So, I've decided to take a trip over to Heritage Guild in Easton, PA.  They have a pretty huge selection of guns to rent.  I'm planning to rent a few non-1911 .45s. I apparently change my mind a lot on this. Lol. I have a feeling the 1911 will be a bigger purchase down the road. I definitely plan on trying the HK45 and the Sig P220. I'll probably check out the Glock 21 Gen4 to see if it feels any different to me than the Glock 41 (I have a feeling I still won't love the trigger but I want to try again). If I do the 4 gun "rent before you buy" program they have, I'll try a 4th - maybe an FN FNX-45 or a Springfield XDM-45. Knowing me I'll come back as undecided as ever, but I'm definitely having fun doing this shopping. Learning a lot and getting better at shooting during the process too. Thanks to everyone again. All the opinions are greatly appreciated and feel free to keep them coming.

• Like 1

So, this morning I went to Heritage Guild in Easton, PA - that place is impressive. I was on a mission to try a bunch of .45s over the course of a couple of hours, and I did. I rented six .45s and bought 200 rounds of .45 ACP.  I also shot my CZ 75 SP-01 a bunch. It was a fun morning :). 

So here's my "range report".  I probably shot about 30 rounds with each - some a bit more or less depending on how I liked it. I don't consider myself an expert on any of this stuff at all obviously, so take what I say with a grain of salt.  This is just what I felt today:

HK45: Felt great in my hand ergonomically, was accurate, but had quite a bit of recoil. It also threw a steady barrage of brass in my face. I expected better recoil, and less brass in my face, from the pricey polymer.

Glock 21 Gen4: Felt good in my hand, recoil was not bad at all (a little less than the Glock 41 if I recall correctly) and very accurate. I still hate that trigger which stings my finger.

FNX-45: I really liked this gun.  Unfortunately it had suppressor height sights since it had a threaded barrel. Those sights took some getting used to but, when I did, I pretty consistently put the shots where I wanted. The FNX had the softest recoil of all the polymer .45s that I've tried. It was enjoyable to shoot. It looked and felt great in my hand.  It can hold 15 rounds and has a rail which makes it a strong consideration as a nightstand/home defense gun.

S&W M&P45: This was a disaster. First, when I put the mag in, the slide slammed closed without me pressing the slide release. I looked at it and the slide was uneven. I showed the RO and he saw that the slide was out of its groove.  The guy who cleaned the gun didn't put it back properly.  The RO fixed that, but the trigger pull was horrific.  I don't know if this gun was a dud or the trigger was just that bad, but I had to squeeze ETREMELY hard to get the gun to fire.  It felt like something was stuck.  Both ROs tried it and it felt funny to them too.  I probably should have gotten a refund for that gun, but the ROs acted liked it was just a crappy trigger.  Whatever.  I stopped shooting it after about 10 rounds.

Walther PPQ: Similar to the HK 45 in that it felt great in the hand, had considerable recoil, and was accurate.  Unfortunately, like the Glock, it had a trigger that stung my finger. The Glock and Walther both had trigger safeties - so I assume that design simply does not work well for me comfort-wise. Unlike the HK, it didn't consistently hit me in the face with brass. This was a nice gun which I wish had a different trigger.

Sig Sauer 1911Emperor Scorpion: I was NOT planning to try a 1911. Lol. However, the Sig P220 that they had there had a suppressor (which was "pinned" and could not be removed) so I didn't feel that would be a good way to try that gun since I would never have that in NJ and it would likely give the gun a different feel/balance. That was disappointing because I really wanted to try the P220. I was going to try a Springfield XDM45, but they were having "Springfield Day" and it was only available to rent with a certain promo which just didn't fit into my plan of trying 3 guns/hour for 2 hrs. At this point the person working there said "Just try a 1911 - how about this Sig?".  I was like "What the hell.. why not?" I knew this would open a can of worms. Lol. And, of course, it did. Holy accuracy Batman! Why the hell don't most guns have that trigger design?! I'm sure there's a reason, but it certainly makes a difference IMO. Being all-metal, of course, the recoil was better than all the polymers - except maybe the FNX which really was "soft-shooting". The Emperor Scorpion appears to be very similar to the Sig 1911 Tacops, which I've held, liked, and considered, so it was good to try this out. 

So, if the FNX-45 didn't impress me so much, and meet all of my home defense/range needs/wants, I probably would be saying "Screw polymer, I'm going with a 1911 or an all-metal non-1911 like a Sig or CZ." I'm still not sure. I might just get an FNX-45 and then do the big 1911 search when I get more permits. If I decide to pull the 1911 trigger now (pun intended), I'll probably get one with a rail to mount a light for home defense.  Was obviously hoping to be 100% sure at this point, but I've ruled out quite a few (and had fun/learned while doing it)  I'd like to try the P220, and maybe another 1911, before making a decision but time is running out.  I'm leaning towards the FNX-45, but I'm gonna think about it for a bit longer.  Hopefully I'll decide before the year is over. Lol.