17 minutes ago, 1563621 said:

Don't forget if you place a handgun on consignment, you have to burn a Permit to get back out!

Why?  You may be right.  But it seems to me that selling on consignment means you still own it until the FFL sells it for you.

electronic or telephonic message is
permitted.
13:54-3.20 Consignment firearms placed at licensed retail firearms
dealers
Consignment firearms are firearms that are transferred by the legal
owner (consignor) of the firearm to a licensed retail firearms dealer
(consignee) for the purpose of resale. Licensed retail firearms dealers that
receive firearms on consignment shall provide a receipt/invoice to the
consigner with a full description of the firearms, including make, model,
caliber, and serial number. The licensed retail firearms dealer shall also
provide in writing on the same receipt/invoice a statement indicating that
any consignor requesting the return of a firearm shall be required to
comply with the regulatory provisions of N.J.S.A. 2C:58-3 for the
transfer of handguns and rifles or shotguns. Consignment handguns,
rifles, or shotguns shall not be returned to the consignor without the
consigner first producing a valid permit to purchase a handgun, or in the
case of a rifle or shotgun, a New Jersey firearms purchaser identification
card and completing a State of New Jersey Certificate of Eligibility form
([SP] S.P. 634), which is used for eligibility verification and contains a
list of disqualifications for the [cosigner

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, maintenanceguy said:

Why?  You may be right.  But it seems to me that selling on consignment means you still own it until the FFL sells it for you.

Unless it is placed for smithing, has to be logged into book. You don't own it anymore!

4 minutes ago, orangesolo said:

That's probably the dumbest gun law i've heard of in NJ. 

It's right up there, but it's so hard to choose the single dumbest gun law in NJ.   

Would it be...

• Needing a permit to purchase in order to retrieve your consignment gun from the dealer?
  • BB guns are defined and regulated as firearms?
  • You can't have a bayonet lug on a semiauto?
  • You must pin an adjustable stock on a semiauto, but it doesn't much matter where you pin it?
  • Slingshots are illegal?
  • You can buy, sell, use, and transport to the range hollow points, but you can't move them to your new house?
  • That thing on the end of the barrel of your semiauto may or may not be legal, depending on some unspecified diameter of the hole in the end, and what the manufacturer happens to call it in their marketing materials.
  • You can't stop to pick up a gallon of milk at the A&P on your way home from the range if you are transporting a handgun?

Or something else entirely?

• Like 3

On 8/2/2017 at 7:58 PM, orangesolo said:

That's probably the dumbest gun law i've heard of in NJ. So the FFL doesn't need a permit to take the firearm but for you to get it back, you need a permit. Pretty stupid buttt this issss NJ!

It's federal law as well, not the HG permit, but to take a gun back from a dealer you need to do all the paperwork and NICS check like you never owned it (except when taking back a repaired gun).

OP - I buy outright and do consignment as well.

• Like 1

On 8/2/2017 at 5:31 PM, PK90 said:

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/how-does-licensee-handle-sale-consignment-firearm

Perhaps only NICS needs to be done and no new permit. I would call the NJSP FIU.

Thank you very much for that link. I have been considering the possibility of putting one, or more of my legally purchased & possessed handguns in this miserable state on consignment at my local gun store. I guess that I will not be doing that, but instead maybe try to sell them by letting any friends & co-workers know what I have & am interested in selling. If I should find an interested buyer, I will do a person to person transaction when they provide my a Permit to Purchase a handgun issued by their local PD, and their FID card. Thanks again for your link to the ATF website. 

17 hours ago, 1brentenfan said:

Thank you very much for that link. I have been considering the possibility of putting one, or more of my legally purchased & possessed handguns in this miserable state on consignment at my local gun store. I guess that I will not be doing that, but instead maybe try to sell them by letting any friends & co-workers know what I have & am interested in selling. If I should find an interested buyer, I will do a person to person transaction when they provide my a Permit to Purchase a handgun issued by their local PD, and their FID card. Thanks again for your link to the ATF website. 

Or you could place them in the for sale section of the forum?????

You would be reaching out to a significantly higher number of people than your friends/co-workers.

Much more targeted way to do it IMO...particularly if you're planning to sell a revolver of some kind.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 124gr9mm said:

Or you could place them in the for sale section of the forum?????

You would be reaching out to a significantly higher number of people than your friends/co-workers.

Much more targeted way to do it IMO...particularly if you're planning to sell a revolver of some kind.

Thank you! That is an excellent idea that I never even considered. If I do decide to sell any of my handguns, I will certainly list them for sale here on the forums. Although, as my user name will imply, I will never sell my Bren Ten Standard Model. That is the prize of my small collection of handguns.