Lambo2936

What Brake & Lower for LaRue upper kit?

Looking for a brake for the LaRue kit that i (and many other forum members) ordered.
The two that seem to fairly consistently come up as very good brakes are:
Troy Industries AR15 Medieval Muzzle Brake
And,
Precision Armament M4-72 

The M4-72 is on the top, with results from a review i was looking at quite far ahead from the 2nd place winner as far as recoil management goes.
Anything else i should look at? I want it to look badass, as well. Both of these are pretty tacticool lookin.. I just can't get over the price difference between the M4-72 with their fancy shims versus the Troy with a standard crush washer, though.. Anyone with first hand experience? The other AR i have that has a brake on it has the SJC Titan on it and i like it but its not even on any lists that i saw.

Also going to need a Lower; any suggestions on what to look for? Or perhaps ill pull the lower from the spikes build i have and use that?? I haven't played with it in a while and it was in fairly good shape from what i remember. I'd like something high end and 'pretty', as well. Any suggestions or offers (if you have something for sale) would be appreciated.
Thanks!

1 hour ago, blksheep said:

Howell Gun Works usually stocks BCM Complete lowers.  Nothing wrong with using Anderson but IMHO a Top Tier Upper DESERVES a Top Tier Lower.

Yeah, sort of what i was thinking. Ill have to find something. The upper kit comes with a LPK, stock, trigger, grip, etc.. so a stripped lower is fine doesnt need to be complete.

I would get a Knights stripped lower. One left here: https://www.smallarmsales.com/product-p/22360.htm

I'm partial to using a Surefire brake to pin up a 14.5" upper and running a Warden optionally.  I will run a SOCOM Suppressor when I leave this state without  having to worry about unpinning the brake.  

12479334_626369864167812_2000843791_n.jp

705568cd7623beeb6122d847e2c71c9e--camo-g

• Like 1

4 hours ago, High Exposure said:

I second the Surefire brake, and add a Warden to it.

The Warden is 100% Legal in NJ right? I could see that raising some flags to an uneducated person.
Wouldn't it render the Brake obsolete, though, as far as recoil mitigation and what not goes?

Id like to go all out on this one rifle but word is as far as recoil goes, the m4-72 is THE best when it comes to recoil. In a SHTF situation it'd be terrible, though, realistically.

Btw that's one of the best looking rifles i've ever seen. Lol.
If LaRue sold FDE Lowers that could be purchased to match their uppers id be all over it. Ended up going with black with FDE poly kit because theres no way id find a matching lower :/

I would get a Knights stripped lower. One left here: https://www.smallarmsales.com/product-p/22360.htm
I'm partial to using a Surefire brake to pin up a 14.5" upper and running a Warden optionally.  I will run a SOCOM Suppressor when I leave this state without  having to worry about unpinning the brake.  
12479334_626369864167812_2000843791_n.jpg?ig_cache_key=MTE3NzUzMjgxNDc2OTQwOTk5MQ==.2
705568cd7623beeb6122d847e2c71c9e--camo-guns-military-weapons.jpg

Ehem.... armor piercing? That a stock photo?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

IIRC, non-handgun armor piercing ammo is 100% legal in NJ.

Even so, not too many places will allow you to shoot it. Kind of a waste unless you are trying to shoot some serious hard targets.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

3 hours ago, Lambo2936 said:

The Warden is 100% Legal in NJ right? I could see that raising some flags to an uneducated person.
Wouldn't it render the Brake obsolete, though, as far as recoil mitigation and what not goes?

Yes its legal.

Yes, the brake will still work, but not as well as it does without it. TINSTAAFL

There are only 2 reasons to pay for an expensive lower. Neither of which is practical, or has anything to do with quality. And by expensive I mean anything more than $100 (Spikes, Ruger, etc). The first being cosmetics, we all like stuff that looks cool, I get it. The 2nd being resale price, and if you're concerned about resale you shouldn't be building an AR.

Any delusions about this or that fancy AR lower being better are just that. And if you're paying that money for a billet lower, you're actually paying extra for a structurally inferior part. A mil-spec lower is a mi-spec lower is a mil-spec lower.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hairless_Ape said:

There are only 2 reasons to pay for an expensive lower. Neither of which is practical, or has anything to do with quality. And by expensive I mean anything more than $100 (Spikes, Ruger, etc). The first being cosmetics, we all like stuff that looks cool, I get it. The 2nd being resale price, and if you're concerned about resale you shouldn't be building an AR.

Any delusions about this or that fancy AR lower being better are just that. And if you're paying that money for a billet lower, you're actually paying extra for a structurally inferior part. A mil-spec lower is a mi-spec lower is a mil-spec lower.

I get that. I just want somethin' pirty with all the bells and whistles; all sorts of ambi goodness and anything else extremely overpriced but cool looking.. I wanted a Gucci rifle but they don't make those apparently :/

I agree with Hairless Ape. All you need is a quality mil-spec* lower.

That being said, If I was going to buy a Gucci lower right now it would be either an ADM UIC lower:

https://www.americandefensemanufacturing.com/view/product/895/

Second choice would be a Rebel Arms Mod-3 lower.

* A truly MiL-spec lower. Not just one that is marketed that way. Buy from a company that has a reputation for producing quality in spec parts.

Let's be honest. At some point, it becomes a vanity thing like pimping a car or what not. The roll mark on the lower matters at that point. If you wanted to be practical, you would just get a $400 PSA special. If you want to get envious looks and compliments at the range, you pimp it out with an Aimpoint T-2, DBAL laser, etc. trust me. I know. :)

Reputable, quality manufacturers is the key phrase. I've seen a few inexpensive 'mil spec' lowers, from popular manufacturers that were not so in spec. 

I get them confused....it was either Anderson or Aero Precision...but the issues I saw were the pin holes for the bolt catch were drilled too small. We were able to fix them by reaming them with the proper sized bit. The other was one of the holes for the rear takedown pin were offset. No way in hell could you push that pin through the left side. The owner of that lower is a co-worker of mine in the Texas office. He uses it as a paperweight on his desk. 

I have two aero ghost lowers and they were flawless.  Aeroprecision is an aerospace company that makes ar parts. They’re pretty precise.  

• Like 1

Try a cool arfcom lower.  Great bolt face logo.  I have a billet one with a rainier arms match upper. 

https://store.ar15.com/product.html?cat=100&pr=1006

Just now, Displaced Texan said:

Maybe I am thinking of Anderson. I do confuse them sometimes. 

Could be.  I only know my experience.  

I have two aero ghost lowers and they were flawless.  Aeroprecision is an aerospace company that makes ar parts. They’re pretty precise.  

Flawless? Says .30 caliber clip on them. Lmao. Makes you wonder...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 8/3/2017 at 8:11 PM, High Exposure said:

I agree with Hairless Ape. All you need is a quality mil-spec* lower.

That being said, If I was going to buy a Gucci lower right now it would be either an ADM UIC lower:

https://www.americandefensemanufacturing.com/view/product/895/

Second choice would be a Rebel Arms Mod-3 lower.

* A truly MiL-spec lower. Not just one that is marketed that way. Buy from a company that has a reputation for producing quality in spec parts.

You think someone could cerakote this on that lower?

bddaa4992706279e815146df96500f33.jpg

LMAO. 

Now then, for a budget i was thinking around the 200$ mark. I bought a surefire w an fde warden to match the fde furniture for 250$ (plus i get 15$ back on eBay) off a guy, so thats dealt with. That said, since i way overspent on that i dont want to go too nuts on a lower and the one you linked would exceed 300$. Id also rather buy f2f but seems like noones selling em used so ill have to pay retail plus transfer i suppose. Didnt see any complaints and being able to use the warden if im shooting w friends to save their ears is awesome.

Also gona look into some ambi goodies and such. Upper isnt even shipping out for a few days and im in no rush so ill wait a bit before blowing more $$. 

how about these?

https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_7_158/1640588_Aero-Precision-Freedom-Lowers.html

Im not sure why they put everything together (the LaRue TAC), either. Going to have to disassemble their mock lower just to re-assemble it onto a real one, instead of just including a packaged LPK.. Weird.

Going to be looking into an ambi setup too... CH, Selector, EBR/BAD lever..