Mrs. Peel

Attn: Fellow Pinheads...Better Ear Protection for My Lil' Noggin...?

I'm having a lot of issues with my hearing protection. I have passive earmuffs, NRR 31, but I suspect I'm getting a lot of sound leakage because the foam cups are not conforming around my plastic eyeglass frames (the ear pieces are kind of thick). I also have sensitive ears, especially the left... if I wear the muffs only, I actually wince in pain if someone shoots a large caliber gun in the next port. That's not good, right? Soooo, I double up with foam plugs... but that  causes other problems (like I'm not sure I'd hear "cease fire" if the RO screamed it directly in my face). Mucho problemos!

The ones that @HighExposure and others have touted - Peltor Comtac and that MSA brand - even if I wanted to plunk down that kind of money, they don't have a "small adult/youth" size anyway. (I think that's a MUST for me as I've tried many "normal (guy) size" ear muffs and I'm swimming in them. I guess the women/youth market isn't large enough yet to merit coming out with smaller sizes in some of these products?) I also can't use those SensGard ones that @PizzaBob recommended - I tried someone's but the ear tip was too big to fit into my ears and they don't seem to come with the option of smaller ear tips (because, umm...yes... apparently I also have freakishly small ears to go with my freakishly small head... I know some you are tempted right now to chime in with cruel mockery, but please try to refrain, if you would be so kind. :huh:). 

So, I think I need this: a good quality electronic earmuff in a "small adult/youth" size preferably with an option for gel inserts (to conform better to my glasses). That way I could wear foam plugs plus ear muffs yet not be deaf to range commands. Does that product even exist? If so, what brand would that be? THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!

The Sensgard aren't supposed to fit "in" your ear. The foam tip rests over the ear channel. Gunshots are still loud, but the sound chambers mitigate any damaging sound waves. They are definitely an acquired taste and I'm not sure, given your sensitivities, you'd find them suitable. OTOH, they are inexpensive enough that they may be worth trying.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

5 minutes ago, Pizza Bob said:

The Sensgard aren't supposed to fit "in" your ear. The foam tip rests over the ear channel. Gunshots are still loud, but the sound chambers mitigate any damaging sound waves. They are definitely an acquired taste and I'm not sure, given your sensitivities, you'd find them suitable. OTOH, they are inexpensive enough that they may be worth trying.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I know they don't go in the ear canal... but I thought they were supposed to fit in the little depression that LEADS to the ear canal? Because they fit into that part of my uncle's ear, but they won't fit into mine. Are we both wrong? Are they supposed to be floating over the lobe and the other raised areas??  I'm going to have to see if that website has a diagram!

Nope, I just checked... the foam part IS supposed to fit into that area as I thought. They don't work for me - that part of my ear isn't large enough to accommodate the foam tips comfortably! Thanks though!

http://instamold.com/

I use custom made ear plugs from these people, They are wonderful.  I always get a set made when they are at the Great American Outdoor Show in Harrisburg, Your ear changes from year to year.  I have known people who call them up to make appointments or find out where they will be to get a pair made,  All kinds of choices and colors,  Well worth it.  Otherwise I use ear bands by Howard Leight, the pointed kind. I have been know to wear a pair of thin ear muffs over the custom ear plugs when shooting the NM course.  The percussion and noise is extreme on the line.

• Like 1

I use these:  Decibullz

https://smile.amazon.com/Decibullz-Earplugs-Comfortable-Protection-Shooting/dp/B00WIXL6IM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1501813548&sr=8-2&keywords=decibullz

You can mold them to your ear and they fit very nicely.  I double up indoors with my Howard Leight Impact Sports so I can hear.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Krdshrk said:

I use these:  Decibullz

https://smile.amazon.com/Decibullz-Earplugs-Comfortable-Protection-Shooting/dp/B00WIXL6IM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1501813548&sr=8-2&keywords=decibullz

You can mold them to your ear and they fit very nicely.  I double up indoors with my Howard Leight Impact Sports so I can hear.

ugh i hate agreeing with nick but i use both of these, work very well together.

Try the MSA/Sordin Supreme Pro X behind the neck model. They have gel seals which makes wearing your glasses under them much more comfortable and prevents the "gapping" you are describing, even when turning your head.

https://www.amazon.com/MSA-Sordin-Supreme-green-cups/dp/B010E12YNK/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1501852541&sr=8-8&keywords=msa+supreme+pro-x

Yes, they are expensive. But I think quality powered ear pro is the single most important piece of equipment you can buy when participating in the shooting sports. It protects your hearing while enhancing your situational awareness keeping everyone safer.

If you feel the need to double up - I generally do when shooting indoors, and don't when outdoors - try some Surefire Sonic EP plugs. You can get them in a size small.

• Like 1

Foam nrr33 plugs. If you have small ears EAR makes their EARsoft plugs in a smaller size.

Then some Howard leight amplified mugfs over top. They are $30-40. And not as huge as many others.

You'll hear what you need to.

1 hour ago, raz-0 said:

Foam nrr33 plugs. If you have small ears EAR makes their EARsoft plugs in a smaller size.

Then some Howard leight amplified mugfs over top. They are $30-40. And not as huge as many others.

You'll hear what you need to.

Hearos Ultimate Softness.  NRR32 and comfortable as all heck.

5 minutes ago, Krdshrk said:

I generally go with the EARsoft blasts because I can get a 200 pair pack for $28. Pairs indiviudally wrapped, which is convenient. 

On 8/3/2017 at 10:07 PM, T Bill said:

http://instamold.com/

I use custom made ear plugs from these people, They are wonderful.  I always get a set made when they are at the Great American Outdoor Show in Harrisburg, Your ear changes from year to year.  I have known people who call them up to make appointments or find out where they will be to get a pair made,  All kinds of choices and colors,  Well worth it.  Otherwise I use ear bands by Howard Leight, the pointed kind. I have been know to wear a pair of thin ear muffs over the custom ear plugs when shooting the NM course.  The percussion and noise is extreme on the line.

You ear also changes with your body weight. I had custom in-ears done years ago and after I lost only 10lbs they wouldn't fit tightly anymore. They're great when they fit but I just use the squishy foam ones now. Don't have to worry about ear changes anymore.

On 8/4/2017 at 10:58 AM, Krdshrk said:

Tried them and they didn't seal well in my ears. I couldn't believe it. I thought all the squishy compressible types would fit the same once they expand back but nope. I use 3m's E-A-R foam plugs now. They seem to fit my ear the best.

33 minutes ago, Splat said:

Tried them and they didn't seal well in my ears. I couldn't believe it. I thought all the squishy compressible types would fit the same once they expand back but nope. I use 3m's E-A-R foam plugs now. They seem to fit my ear the best.

Dang - you've got weird ears then :)

On 8/4/2017 at 9:20 AM, High Exposure said:

Try the MSA/Sordin Supreme Pro X behind the neck model. They have gel seals which makes wearing your glasses under them much more comfortable and prevents the "gapping" you are describing, even when turning your head.

https://www.amazon.com/MSA-Sordin-Supreme-green-cups/dp/B010E12YNK/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1501852541&sr=8-8&keywords=msa+supreme+pro-x

Yes, they are expensive. But I think quality powered ear pro is the single most important piece of equipment you can buy when participating in the shooting sports. It protects your hearing while enhancing your situational awareness keeping everyone safer.

If you feel the need to double up - I generally do when shooting indoors, and don't when outdoors - try some Surefire Sonic EP plugs. You can get them in a size small.

I use the Surefire Sonic EP plugs alone.

Pros: Better cheek weld on stock for AR or AK

Cons: Hard to have a conversation with live fire around you.

Regards,

TokenEntry

18 hours ago, TokenEntry said:

I use the Surefire Sonic EP plugs alone.

Pros: Better cheek weld on stock for AR or AK

Cons: Hard to have a conversation with live fire around you.

Forgot I have these too. They work well, but I usually don't have much convo when at the range so don't worry about that. I never see anyone else with them at the range.