Mrs. Peel

Another Successful SHOTGUN SHOOTOUT! Sunday, 9/17, Clinton WMA

50 minutes ago, Averagejoeshmo said:

I'm in, bringing a box of clays and ammo.

Does anyone know if it's ok to bring one of those pop up 10x10 portable canopy tents?

Should be fine, they have been brought in the past. 

34 minutes ago, Purple Patrick said:

Sounds like this is going to be an end of summer party

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I'll say! Wow. Might be a big crowd. With that said - and I hope I'm not out of line or saying something blatantly obvious here - but although the people with the hunting licenses are responsible for the overall behavior of the group... is it fair to assume that each experienced shooter bringing newbie guests also shares responsibility for their guests? You know, maybe you can prep them with safety rules in the car on the way there, and then keep an eye on your wet-nosed puppies during the event too. It's not fair to put that all on the licensed hunters in the group.

Looking forward to a GREAT, FUN and SAFE Shotgun Shootout! See you all tomorrow morning! :hunter:

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Mrs. Peel said:

I'll say! Wow. Might be a big crowd. With that said - and I hope I'm not out of line or saying something blatantly obvious here - but although the people with the hunting licenses are responsible for the overall behavior of the group... is it fair to assume that each experienced shooter bringing newbie guests also shares responsibility for their guests? You know, maybe you can prep them with safety rules in the car on the way there, and then keep an eye on your wet-nosed puppies during the event too. It's not fair to put that all on the licensed hunters in the group.

Looking forward to a GREAT, FUN and SAFE Shotgun Shootout! See you all tomorrow morning! :hunter:

Load only at station!!!!

where is the link to other 5 rules... 

• Like 1

Thanks for reminder, Zeke! Safety rules are on the OP. But, since it's a long thread... I'll repeat them here:

Gun Rules to Remember:

• Always treat a gun as if it was loaded
  • Keep your finger off the trigger until you're ready to shoot
  • Never point the muzzle at anything you're not willing to destroy
  • Always be aware of your target/line of fire
  • For this range, keep all guns unloaded until you're on the firing line

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mrs. Peel said:

Thanks for reminder, Zeke! Safety rules are on the OP. But, since it's a long thread... I'll repeat them here:

Gun Rules to Remember:

• Always treat a gun as if it was loaded
  • Keep your finger off the trigger until you're ready to shoot
  • Never point the muzzle at anything you're not willing to destroy
  • Always be aware of your target/line of fire
  • For this range, keep all guns unloaded until you're on the firing line

Peel, what you have here is a great start!  Here's a few more common-sense safety rules most private clubs have adopted that apply to scattergunnin' :

*Keep actions OPEN AT ALL TIMES (for pumps & semi's slide the bolt back so you can see an empty chamber).  All actions should be opened as soon as guns are uncased.  O/U & SxS break-actions should be broken open as soon as they leave the vehicle upon your arrival and again at the gun rack and carried into the shooting cage/station OPEN.  While in the rack, O/U and SxS may remain closed.  As soon as you pick them up out of the gun rack, they get pointed in a safe direction (usually the ground) & broken OPEN.  When finished shooting, make the gun "safe" by opening the action PRIOR to leaving the cage / shooting station.  A shotgun with a closed action is an invitation to trouble.  A loaded shotgun with an open action is bound to happen at an event such as this.  If it's loaded & OPEN, you can still break another rule & not kill anybody :) 

*Observe the "Muzzle-UP Rule" when playing "Show & Tell".  Nobody gets "swept" that way as we check-out each others "toyz".  Show & Tell with muzzles pointed in a safe direction (preferably DOWN RANGE instead of towards parking lot while arriving shooters are looking for parking spaces).

Mentors watch their guests shoot & assist as necessary, they don't shoot simultaneously.  This way the experienced Mentors keep a better eye on muzzle control & eliminate "sweeping".  And everybody goes home with the same number of holes they started with :) .

Special note for Clinton WMA:  The new gun racks they built don't allow the shotguns to "lean enough" on a windy day.  The wind can blow-over your expensive scattergun ONTO CONCRETE, so I recommend the use of a blanket on the ground (or your gun case) with all muzzles pointed DOWN RANGE.  Less damage to guns that way (yes I've seen it myself and it happened to Steve, a member here).

Rosey

NRA Chief Range Safety Officer

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Krdshrk said:

I'm loaded up...  Except for the Shotguns and the Cigars.  Those will be grabbed on the way out the door!

xk51k6H.jpg

Krdshrk:

I just hope you do not get stopped by a NJ State Police officer.  One quick look through the back window of your vehicle and his first impression, seeing the battery, shotgun shells boxs, other boxes and thrower/launcher contraption, may be to speculate that you have one bizarre looking home-made car bomb....  We really do not want you to be late tomorrow because he detained you while he requested back up from the NJSP bomb squad...    (heh, heh).

Also, let me guess, the child booster seat fastened on the rear passenger seat behind the driver is really your way of strapping in and protecting your extensive and expensive cigar collection when traveling....   Very creative!

See you all tomorrow....

AVB-AMG

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AVB-AMG said:

Krdshrk:

I just hope you do not get stopped by a NJ State Police officer.  One quick look through the back window of your vehicle and his first impression, seeing the battery, shotgun shells boxs, other boxes and thrower/launcher contraption, may be to speculate that you have one bizarre looking home-made car bomb....  We really do not want you to be late tomorrow because he detained you while he requested back up from the NJSP bomb squad...    (heh, heh).

Also, let me guess, the child booster seat fastened on the rear passenger seat behind the driver is really your way of strapping in and protecting your extensive and expensive cigar collection when traveling....   Very creative!

See you all tomorrow....

AVB-AMG

Well, precious cargo after all...! Note the shotguns AND the cigars are both lovingly added at the last possible moment. If the new thrower gets stolen, that's bad, but if @Krdshrk's guns & ceegars get stolen... my god, that's a catastrophe!

16 minutes ago, AVB-AMG said:

Krdshrk:

See you all tomorrow....

AVB-AMG

Just wait till you see how I will be transporting my gear. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fishnut said:

Just wait till you see how I will be transporting my gear. 

fishnut:

Since you are a multi-sports man, I can envision you driving a bad-ass / macho truck that you have very methodically customized to efficiently organize and store all of your sporting equipment.  So I will not be surprised if you drive up tomorrow in this, with these modifications:

AVB-AMG

4495310553_c952624d63_b.jpg

Storage-Drawer-Accessories.jpg

vehicle_transport_firearm_secure_rambox-with-holster.jpg

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, AVB-AMG said:

fishnut:

Since you are a multi-sports man, I can envision you driving a bad-ass / macho truck that you have very methodically customized to efficiently organize and store all of your sporting equipment.  So I will not be surprised if you drive up tomorrow in this, with these modifications:

AVB-AMG

Hmmm, I think I need that. For the ranch. Yeah, that's it....for the ranch. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, AVB-AMG said:

fishnut:

AVB-AMG

Very good guess but think allot cheaper, less organized, and everything in Plainview...........also no doors or top