Yuck

CORE 15 Muzzle Brake - Legal?

Looks like a hybrid of both a brake and flash hider to me. The 4 duckbill type prongs would be there to reduce flash. It also would fail the pinky test. (total BS) but many feel that if you can put your pinky finger in the hole, it is a flash suppressor.

I would not take a chance in the PRNJ with this one myself. Even though the manufacturer calls it a brake, it appears to have flash suppression incorporated into it design with the 4 prongs. I call no go but will gladly yield to my more learned colleagues like HE who knows a great deal more than me.  Good luck.   

• Like 1

There is a baffle in it, so it is a legitimate Brake.

There video says it 'Shows Flash" and no mention of Flash hiding

or reduction in any advertising - I would say it's Good to Go!

ps: Wouldn't hurt to reach out to CORE and ask them if they have a publicity

statement that states it is not a FH, just to keep for your records........

16 minutes ago, JT Custom Guns said:

Wouldn't hurt to reach out to CORE and ask them if they have a publicity statement that states it is not a FH, just to keep for your records........

This is a great idea which I should have thought of myself.  I'll give them a call on Monday and share their response here.  If I can get a straight answer though that PWS brake looks pretty nice, too.

To be honest, I wouldn't even bother with a muzzle brake. I went through the trouble years ago of paying a gunsmith to permanently attach some for me. At the end of the day, there just isn't anywhere near enough recoil on a semi auto .223, x39 etc. for it to be worth it. It looks cool, but totaling up what I paid, I could have easily gotten another gun instead for the price of two installed muzzle brakes. Flash hiders are cool, and far more useful, but very few configurations allow that in NJ of course. 

This is a great idea which I should have thought of myself.  I'll give them a call on Monday and share their response here.  If I can get a straight answer though that PWS brake looks pretty nice, too.

Have one on my M6.... works great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11 hours ago, mossburger said:

To be honest, I wouldn't even bother with a muzzle brake. I went through the trouble years ago of paying a gunsmith to permanently attach some for me. At the end of the day, there just isn't anywhere near enough recoil on a semi auto .223, x39 etc. for it to be worth it. It looks cool, but totaling up what I paid, I could have easily gotten another gun instead for the price of two installed muzzle brakes. Flash hiders are cool, and far more useful, but very few configurations allow that in NJ of course. 

I'd find someone else to do your installs. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, SmittyMHS said:

I'd find someone else to do your installs. 

Seriously. I have a buddy that does it for a couple boxes of ammo.

Anyway - Yes, while I agree the recoil and blast from a 5.56/.223 rifle isn't that bad, some direction of the gasses and control of the muzzle is gained from the addition of a quality muzzle device.

Recoil and blast are very subjective shooter to shooter. Some brakes and comps work great for some shooters while other shooters may despise that particular device. Everyone needs to find what works for them. I have recently become a big fan of the SF MB556 with the option of adding a Warden when shooting with a team.

For some of us, where the gasses go after the bullet leaves the barrel actually matter, and for a bunch of different reasons.

13 hours ago, mossburger said:

I could have easily gotten another gun instead for the price of two installed muzzle brakes. Flash hiders are cool, and far more useful, but very few configurations allow that in NJ of course. 

What prices were you paying per rifle to get the brakes installed per rifle? 

I forget the exact price, but I bought Bulgarian Ak-74 style brakes and the front sight block to go with it, two of them were ~$100 at the time total. I'm more than capable of welding and/or pinning myself, but I wanted it to be from a gunsmith in case something ever came down to it.

A couple of shops actually turned me down outright, this was ~7-10 years ago. One place I called hilariously began explaining to me that silencers were illegal LOL. That was a fun misunderstanding. Another didn't want to touch what they called "AK-47's" at all. 

Eventually a forum member who has a gunsmithing business here did them for me. It was something like ~$75 a piece so yes, at a total of $250 for muzzle brakes I should have just bought another Mossberg or something.

But hey, live and learn. They look cool but are entirely useless, I cannot tell any measurable difference at all. My advice to people seeking a muzzle brake to reduce recoil, is go get some practice. Get a better grip and stance, learn to use a sling, whatever, put some more rounds down range for practice, in the end it will do you a lot more than any muzzle brake.

I highly doubt anyone is going to go to jail based solely on a muzzle device... 

with that said, I don't think the standard is exclusively how the manufacturer markets them.. if I purchased a bunch of A2 hiders.. that are clearly hiders.. and listed them on gun broker as "A2 muzzle brakes" it doesn't all of the sudden make them legal to use in NJ.. 

the wording does not say "sold as flash hider" it simply says "flash hider"

so I think if you were arrested for one.. your lawyer would say "its not a flash hider" and NJ would say "it is a flash hider".. and then both sides would use evidence to establish one side or the other.. which might include how it is marketed.. testing.. etc.. 

4 hours ago, vladtepes said:

I highly doubt anyone is going to go to jail based solely on a muzzle device... 

with that said, I don't think the standard is exclusively how the manufacturer markets them.. if I purchased a bunch of A2 hiders.. that are clearly hiders.. and listed them on gun broker as "A2 muzzle brakes" it doesn't all of the sudden make them legal to use in NJ.. 

the wording does not say "sold as flash hider" it simply says "flash hider"

so I think if you were arrested for one.. your lawyer would say "its not a flash hider" and NJ would say "it is a flash hider".. and then both sides would use evidence to establish one side or the other.. which might include how it is marketed.. testing.. etc.. 

I know for a fact that the NJSP does not conduct any test to measure the flash produced or hidden by any muzzle device.

They do rely heavily on the description and details provided by the manufacturer when forming their opinion on what kind of device is attached to a particular muzzle.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, High Exposure said:

I know for a fact that the NJSP does not conduct any test to measure the flash produced or hidden by any muzzle device.

They do rely heavily on the description and details provided by the manufacturer when forming their opinion on what kind of device is attached to a particular muzzle.

NJ also bans "AK Type firearms" yet you can buy them anywhere.. 

enforcement as it is practiced is not always in line with the law as it is written.. I will take your word regarding testing because I am sure you know.. it doesn't change the fact that if it really came down to it.. it would be on you to prove it is not a hider..  I also stand by the fact that you can always say "it says brake" but if it is obviously a hider.. in that it substantially mitigates flash.. the manufacturers wording may not save you alone.. 

but then again all this doesn't really matter.. because the likelihood of being jammed up over a muzzle device is very very low.. so low its virtually nonexistent..