checko

Check engine light came on

I have a 2015 sonata lease still under full warranty. My check engine light came on after I noticed I was getting a stutter in my idle. The code came out as an cylinder 3 misfire. Brought the car in to fix the issue and get some other stuff done, all warranty and recall stuff.

The dealership tells me that it's because of dirty fuel injectors and I need to buy a $140ish package to fix the issue. Sounds like bullshit to me. Does anyone know of this type of issue is considered maintenance or should it be a warranty fix?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Sounds like bull to me. The car is two years old and they are trying to claim dirty injectors. How many 10 year old cars are on the road right now that have never had them cleaned. The answer is a lot. I would push them on a warranty repair. And if the still persist take it to another dealership who will be more cooperative.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

59 minutes ago, checko said:

I have a 2015 sonata lease still under full warranty. My check engine light came on after I noticed I was getting a stutter in my idle. The code came out as an cylinder 3 misfire. Brought the car in to fix the issue and get some other stuff done, all warranty and recall stuff.

The dealership tells me that it's because of dirty fuel injectors and I need to buy a $140ish package to fix the issue. Sounds like bullshit to me. Does anyone know of this type of issue is considered maintenance or should it be a warranty fix?

It is bullshit.  

My guess would be that bad fuel (Water ,dirt, ect.) is usually not covered

under mfg. warranty?

One could ask how dirt got past the filter, but it could be water which can blow an

inj tip off under certain circumstances!

Try Techron Inj system cleaner - best I've found...............

My guess would be that bad fuel (Water ,dirt, ect.) is usually not covered
under mfg. warranty?
One could ask how dirt got past the filter, but it could be water which can blow an
inj tip off under certain circumstances!

Try Techron Inj system cleaner - best I've found...............

Just stopped at AutoZone. They had the injector cleaner by one get one free haha. How long does it usually take to start working

Rare to have Fuel Injector issues these days......and for it to only 1 cylinder.

Msifire's are usually coils going bad. If light comes back on swap coil around with another...... when it misfires again, I am betting it will move to where you moved the #3 coil....  If it does..... replace that coil.

• Like 1

Rare to have Fuel Injector issues these days......and for it to only 1 cylinder.
Msifire's are usually coils going bad. If light comes back on swap coil around with another...... when it misfires again, I am betting it will move to where you moved the #3 coil....  If it does..... replace that coil.
You'll have to forgive me. I don't know what a coil is. I know the spark plug and the wires connecting to it.

2 minutes ago, checko said:

You'll have to forgive me. I don't know what a coil is. I know the spark plug and the wires connecting to it.

New cars have an ignition coil per plug. Used to be one coil and a distributor. 

The injector cleaning is an upsell. Your vehicle is under warranty. Dump your autozone stuff in and keep the receipt. I agree with goat nut. 

9 hours ago, checko said:

how many miles? i'd venture it's more likely a bad coilpack and/or a bad plug. they're trying to upsell ya.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, JT Custom Guns said:

Run some Fuel injector cleaner through the system and clear the code 

you should be o.k.

I've always wondered if that stuff actually worked.   Gasoline is a really good solvent; I don't know what you could dissolve in gasoline to make it an even better solvent.

Definitely bring to another dealer. They can read the codes off the car's computer and know exactly what the issue is. CEL could also be an emissions issue. That was my issue on a 2009 VW. Warranty definitely covers it. Don't all Hyundais come w/ 100k warranty? Let us know if the fuel injection cleaner works.

Also which dealer if you don't mind posting.

49 minutes ago, My1stGlock said:

Definitely bring to another dealer. They can read the codes off the car's computer and know exactly what the issue is. CEL could also be an emissions issue. That was my issue on a 2009 VW. Warranty definitely covers it. Don't all Hyundais come w/ 100k warranty? Let us know if the fuel injection cleaner works.

Also which dealer if you don't mind posting.

Hyundai typically has a 5 yr/60k bumper to bumper warranty...  the 10y/100k is powertrain only.  Either way, should 100% be covered, full stop

16 hours ago, checko said:

30k. I get why they wanted to upsell me but why wouldn't they do the work after I said no

THAT is a good question. they should be able to figure out a simple misfire. a 12 year old could figure out a misfire on one of those. maybe follow the advice of the others, and hit another dealer, plus escalate it up the chain of command.

also.......take it to your regular mechanic, and have him verify it...just let him know it's prolly going back to the dealer for the repair.

So quick update. Spoke to the assistant service manager today and asked him exactly what work was performed and why my light is still on.

Guy told me that when they pulled the car into the shop the light wasn't on. They checked the history and seen it was a misfire but it was running like a top in the shop so they recommended the fuel service. No work was done

So I drove it all the way there and parked it with the light on and a misfire but once they got in it was perfect in the shop then immediately acted up as soon as I got it back.......

Not to mention the other guy I spoke to knew the light was on.

I told him I'm bringing it back in tonight and it's under warranty so I expect it to be fixed.

It's easton/Phillipsburg hyundai

there are two different types of clogged injectors, one is from carbon on the tip the other is clogged screen, 99% of the time a clogged screen will not come clean with injector cleaner the injector needs to be removed. The injector cleaner the dealer uses will clean any and all carbon internally in nozzle out and on face to repair spray pattern this can be caused by the misfire and may need to be done after misfire is repaired. I pull and clean a lot of injectors from outboards mostly new engines on old boats with dirty tanks and not actual dirt, scale on the tanks from sitting and the ethanol erodes in very fine particles under 10 micron ultimately clogging injectors.

Dropped the car off overnight. They told me that I had codes for cylinder 2 and 3 and they are replacing the spark plugs under warranty. Also had a cracked intake on my turbo (I think that's what he said) getting replaced under warranty. Still tried pretty hard to get me to buy air and cabin filters and the fuel service.

1 hour ago, checko said:

Dropped the car off overnight. They told me that I had codes for cylinder 2 and 3 and they are replacing the spark plugs under warranty. Also had a cracked intake on my turbo (I think that's what he said) getting replaced under warranty. Still tried pretty hard to get me to buy air and cabin filters and the fuel service.

Cracked turbo manifold?  Or turbo itself?  That's pretty serious.