Zeke

What is better for home defense?

I wonder if there are any people who answered "AR" when asked "what home defense weapon would you choose ?"     But then would argue for a pump shotgun over semi shotgun.     Know where I'm going with this?

13 minutes ago, Barms said:

I wonder if there are any people who answered "AR" when asked "what home defense weapon would you choose ?"     But then would argue for a pump shotgun over semi shotgun.     Know where I'm going with this?

An AR is my first choice.

No, I don't know where you are going with this...

2 hours ago, Barms said:

My AR is my go to home defense firearm.. it is light weight.. has 30 rounds of ammo in one magazine.. has a light, sling, and optic as well for precise shots if needed.. and is putting out a rifle round.. which has proved to have relative mitigated risk factor when considering collateral damage post interior wall.. has very low recoil for rapid follow up shots if needed.. The gun is also absurdly reliable.. and has gone many range sessions on end.. with tons of rounds.. and no cleaning.. and just keeps on running.. 

There is no firearm more suited for the job.. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, AlexTheSane said:

I believe the thinking is that someone who would suggest a SA rifle and then suggest that a pump shotgun is more reliable is being contradictory.  

which is silly because the measure of reliability is not simply the firearm type.. but also the manufacturer, individual system.. etc.. 

"semi automatic shotgun" is simply a firearm type.. within that type there are countless systems that run very different from one to another.. 

Semiauto Shotgun

Saiga 12 - very reliable with heavy ammo.. but heavy ammo only... put low recoil ammo in it and it turns into a manually operated gun

Beretta 1301 - I can't get the thing to fail.. it literally has cycled every piece of ammo I have put in it.. 

Yet they are are both "semi automatic shotguns"

I'd go AR if I could find a good solution for discretely and securely storing it. A single pistol safe is much easier to conceal in a closet/drawer/etc.  

right now pistol for emergent and expected event.  AR for SHTF when I have more time to get to the safe. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, voyager9 said:

I'd go AR if I could find a good solution for discretely and securely storing it. A single pistol safe is much easier to conceal in a closet/drawer/etc.  

right now pistol for emergent and expected event.  AR for SHTF when I have more time to get to the safe. 

Shotlock or Hornady Rapid Safe AR Wall Lock

https://www.hornady.com/security/rapid-safes/ar-wall-lock

Mount it to a stud in your closet and hang a hoodie on it. No one will ever see it.

Put a lockable door knob/handle on the closet as well for when you aren't home.

55 minutes ago, owg666 said:

9mm carbine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Terrible ballistics when regarding retained energy through interior and exterior walls. A 5.56/.223 AR has better terminal ballistics and less chance of seriously injuring or killing someone after passing through walls.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, High Exposure said:

Shotlock or Hornady Rapid Safe AR Wall Lock

https://www.hornady.com/security/rapid-safes/ar-wall-lock

Mount it to a stud in your closet and hang a hoodie on it. No one will ever see it

I've seen the Shotlock. It was interesting but seemed from pics to look weak. Hornady is nice. Would want to disable the RFID part though

I have the Hornady one and like it very much. It fits my rifle with optics set up better than the Shotlock even though I prefer the simplex lock to the electric stuff. The Hornady has a key option as well which is a suitable backup for dead batteries.

If they know where my rifle is and can hack the RF, they can cut the Sheetrock and studs. 

Its more to keep the kids hands off than prevent a burglar from getting it when I am not home. In that regard it is part of a layered system. Cameras, alarm, dogs, locked doors, hidden, etc...

4 hours ago, High Exposure said:

Terrible ballistics when regarding retained energy through interior and exterior walls. A 5.56/.223 AR has better terminal ballistics and less chance of seriously injuring or killing someone after passing through walls.

agree.. 9mm out of a handgun will sail right through drywall and still penetrate deep..  obviously ALL firearms run the risk of injuring someone on the other side of a wall.. but 556 is good at mitigating that risk when compared to others.. 

wound-patterns-after-defeating-a-wall.jp

10 hours ago, vladtepes said:

There is no firearm more suited for the job.. 

You lost it right here.  You should have ended your post without this line OR started this sentence "So for me".

3 hours ago, High Exposure said:

I have theIf they know where my rifle is and can hack the RF, they can cut the Sheetrock and studs. 

Its more to keep the kids hands off than prevent a burglar from getting it when I am not home.

I'm not concerned about someone phreaking the RF to get in. I just don't want to carry/wear/have something to gain access.