Sign in to follow this  
DirtyDigz

Any ammo type illegal to possess *AT HOME*?

There's an outfit that is selling a ".50 cal ammo collectors pack", which is 5 different rounds of .50 linked together representing most of the rounds in active inventory in the military, primarily intended for display purposes.

The ammo is live and includes tracer, incendiary, armor piercing and blank rounds.

I'm interested in buying it for a "wall hanger" at home.

I don't think there are any restrictions on simply possessing ammo *at home*, but want to double check.

With belt ammo, there is one issue to watch out for... having over 15 rounds linked together. There are a few semi-auto belt fed rifles in NJ. As long as it isn't 16 or more rounds linked together, it is good.

Also, .50 BMG is not primarily used in a handgun, so no chance of anything coming up on that end... even though it will sit on the wall.

Legal, as long as the seller is willing to send it in.

If something is illegal to possess, it is illegal to possess "at home". One is not exempt from any laws inside their home.

Speaking of illegal possession of ammo, IIRC, only armor piercing handgun ammo is forbidden. Tracers are okay to possess, just not legal to shoot.

22 minutes ago, PK90 said:

If something is illegal to possess, it is illegal to possess "at home". One is not exempt from any laws inside their home.

PK, love ya, but that's an over-simplification.

Hollowpoint ammo, for instance, is illegal to possess outside of exempted locations, of which the possesor's home is one such exempted location.

• Like 1

On 8/11/2017 at 0:43 PM, PK90 said:
Speaking of illegal possession of ammo, IIRC, only armor piercing handgun ammo is forbidden. Tracers are okay to possess, just not legal to shoot.

nm

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I respectfully disagree. Precisely none of new Jersey's unconstitutional gun laws apply in my home. I am therefore exempt from these illegal laws in my home and on my property. Open carry is a perfect example...

Good luck in your dream world.

Sent from an undisclosed location via Tapatalk

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, Indianajonze said:

I respectfully disagree. Precisely none of new Jersey's unconstitutional gun laws apply in my home. I am therefore exempt from these illegal laws in my home and on my property. Open carry is a perfect example...

Yeah, that's not going to work out too well for you if you have a NJ-defined "assault weapon" in your safe and a search warrant comes-a-calling.

• Like 2

Open carry of a NJ-legal firearm on property you own is legal, but that doesn't guarantee that your local law enforcement won't arrest and charge you anyway and compel you to prove it in court.
You are ridiculous

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

You are ridiculous

Technically, he's not. Possession of a firearm without first obtaining a permit is illegal. You can be arrested for this.

The fact that you're at home can be used as an affirmative defense because of the exemption. You don't need a defense if you're not in court having charges.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Mr.Stu said:

Technically, he's not. Possession of a firearm without first obtaining a permit is illegal. You can be arrested for this.

The fact that you're at home can be used as an affirmative defense because of the exemption. You don't need a defense if you're not in court having charges.

Possession of a firearm on private property is 100% legal.

Nothing in subsections b., c. and d. of N.J.S.2C:39-5 shall be construed to prevent a person keeping or carrying about his place of business, residence, premises or other land owned or possessed by him, any firearm, or from carrying the same, in the manner specified in subsection g. of this section, from any place of purchase to his residence or place of business, between his dwelling and his place of business, between one place of business or residence and another when moving, or between his dwelling or place of business and place where such firearms are repaired, for the purpose of repair. For the purposes of this section, a place of business shall be deemed to be a fixed location.

Now can the police be a bag of dicks and charge you with disturbing the peace? Probably. Better to carry it concealed on your property as open carry up here will have majority of all democrats blowing up 911 call centers saying there's an active shooter.

1 hour ago, Mr.Stu said:

Being willed a firearm or bringing it with you when moving here from out of state are perfectly legal ways to be in possession without ever having obtained a permit. 

• Like 2

Possession of a firearm on private property is 100% legal.
Nothing in subsections b., c. and d. of N.J.S.2C:39-5 shall be construed to prevent a person keeping or carrying about his place of business, residence, premises or other land owned or possessed by him, any firearm, or from carrying the same, in the manner specified in subsection g. of this section, from any place of purchase to his residence or place of business, between his dwelling and his place of business, between one place of business or residence and another when moving, or between his dwelling or place of business and place where such firearms are repaired, for the purpose of repair. For the purposes of this section, a place of business shall be deemed to be a fixed location.
Now can the police be a bag of dicks and charge you with disturbing the peace? Probably. Better to carry it concealed on your property as open carry up here will have majority of all democrats blowing up 911 call centers saying there's an active shooter.
Think of it this way...

Shooting someone is illegal.

You can make a claim that it was justified by asserting self defense. This is an affirmative defense. It doesn't stop you being arrested and charged and prosecuted. It may, however, prevent you being convicted if you succeed in court.

The prosector's job is to assess the case and drop it if he believes that your assertion is likely to succeed thereby saving court time and expense.

Being willed a firearm or bringing it with you when moving here from out of state are perfectly legal ways to be in possession without ever having obtained a permit. 

That's a way to become an owner of a firearm.

When you transport it from the other state into NJ you had better follow the transport exemptions otherwise you will find it difficult to raise a defense if the gun is discovered if you're stopped on the side of the highway.

24 minutes ago, Mr.Stu said:

Think of it this way...

Shooting someone is illegal.

You can make a claim that it was justified by asserting self defense. This is an affirmative defense. It doesn't stop you being arrested and charged and prosecuted. It may, however, prevent you being convicted if you succeed in court.

The prosector's job is to assess the case and drop it if he believes that your assertion is likely to succeed thereby saving court time and expense.

We're not talking about shooting someone though. That's an entirely different conversation. We're talking about carrying a firearm on your own property. Which is 100% legal. Doesn't matter if it's your business, your house, or property you own that's rented/leased by someone else. 100% legal to carry.

"The prosector's job is to assess the case and drop it if he believes that your assertion is likely to succeed thereby saving court time and expense."

Once again "Nothing in subsections b., c. and d. of N.J.S.2C:39-5 shall be construed to prevent a person keeping or carrying about his place of business, residence, premises or other land owned or possessed by him, any firearm"

So replace shooting someone with being caught in possession of a firearm.

You are missing the fact that NJ gun laws work in reverse of almost every other law. Most laws tell you what you can't do. For guns that is to possess one without a permit. You just can't. This is what you get charged with.

There are then exemptions which tell you what you can do which you can assert as an affirmative defense. I don't think you are understanding the difference between something that is not prohibited at all vs. something that is prohibited but can be excused under specific circumstances. In this case being in your home. There has to be a finding of fact that the affirmative defense applies in your case. E.g. that it is in fact your home, not your Dad's home, or your friend's home, etc.

On 8/17/2017 at 1:10 AM, Indianajonze said:

You are ridiculous

Am I?  Depends on where you live and how hoplophobic your neighbors and local LEO are.

Can you sit on your front porch that's 50 yards back from the street in Cumberland or Sussex county with a break-action shotgun on your lap?  Yeah, probably not an issue.

Do you also believe you can also sit on your front steps at a row house in Jersey City with an AR at low ready and not get a visit from the po-po and a free ride to the station if you persist?

21 hours ago, gun594 said:

DirtyDigz,

Did you get the 50 cal sampler?

Who had them for sale?

Thanks.

John

John, yes I did, the picture above is the set I purchased from Op-For weapons via facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/OPFORWEAPONS/

After I purchased from Op-For, I also saw an ad from Duke Museum of Military History selling a similar set:

https://www.facebook.com/dukemuseumofmilitaryhistory/

• Like 1