Mrs. Peel

Shooting sports for handgun w/moving targets?

I'm not sure when (or if) I'd ever be willing to do action shooting (IDPA, etc.) ---  I confess, I find the concept quite intimidating! Hey, we've all got our hang-ups, LOL. I might even do it down the road when I feel more confident, but definitely not now and probably not even soon. For the moment, I'm pretty much shooting weekly with my .22 and maybe will start doing local bull's eye competitions in the fall (just as a fun way to get more practice in - check out other ranges, etc).

That said, from an HD perspective, I can absolutely see the benefit of shooting at a target that is "on the move" (and I know those action shooting sports sometimes include that - a target that's spinning or whatever). Because, obviously, a real intruder would not stop and say, "Ok, Lady, now I'm just gonna pause and stand here facing you, while you line up that shot with your shaky hands". (LOL) He would presumably be darting towards me or around furniture or whatever.

So, since I have zero interest in shooting Bambi or Thumper, how else can I get the skill of acquiring a moving target... without the holster draw, and where I'm stationary? (And not clays either, because I'm talking about handguns). Ummm... does that exist somewhere in NJ? Would it be a special range?.. with targets that pop out (like I've seen in the Dirty Harry movies)...?  :D Or, do people just use a simulator to get that experience? Other thoughts?  As always, thank you in advance!

Not a lot of moving target options around here...Bianchi Cup matches have a mover, a cardboard target that zips across your field of fire, as one of the stages.    It's fun, but Bianchi cup matches are kinda hard to find, and real ones aren't beginner friendly.  Movers will show up in other action matches, but you wouldn't usually know in advance if a given match has moving targets or not.  The Tenafly Gun Club includes Bianchi stages once a month, in their winter/spring action matches on Sunday evenings.   It's a beginner-friendly environment; normally you would start with a draw from a holster, but since it's an inexpensive match and they don't actually award prizes, I doubt anyone would care if you started out holding the gun.

Check out GSSF for a very beginner-friendly introduction to action shooting.   The Glock matches are action shooting with the training wheels still on; the course of fire never changes and is always known in advance, you always start out holding your gun (no holster work) and you never reload with the clock running.   One stage, one magazine.    There is a GSSF match in Topton, PA next weekend.    The downside is that they make you shoot a Glock...it's a marketing event for them, so other makes of handgun aren't allowed.    There are a few unofficial Glock matches around--the Riverdale, NJ club runs one in the winter--that follow the same rules, but let you shoot anything you want.

Back in the day, when I still lived out west, we'd roll old tires down hills out in the desert and blast away.  Good times.

• Like 1

In addition to the steel matches, check out the USPSA matches at Old Bridge.  Every match I have shot in so far has had moving targets on some of the stages.  Fourth Sunday of every month and they alternate months between USPSA handgun and 3-gun.  Check the calendar and come see a match.  http://www.obrpc.org/

After you've seen a match, come shoot one!  We highly encourage new shooters and everyone is very helpful.  It's really not that hard, you will not be fast but you can be accurate.

• Like 1

... and as far as the topic of what you do/learn in competition versus what you do in real world self defense, check out the "worlds collide" series by Springfield Armory.  Although I know there's not a lot of love for Pincus, it's an interesting discussion:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChv70SaOzaV1e66Plytl50g

What you learn in competition doesn't exactly apply towards defending yourself.

• Like 2

Old Bridge has a bunch of different types of matches. If you just want to get your feet we with a "competition" try shooting static steel. its lots of fun and little movement. Five targets. But when that buzzer goes off your heart starts to pound and possibly everything you thought you knew is forgotten. Lots of fun and very beginner friendly. Stages sometimes have swingers where you hit one popper which starts two plates swinging. You can take as many shots as you want. No one cares what your time is its a lot of fun.

Tomorrow they have a knockdown steel match.That has more targets on the stage and some movement between shooting boxes. Its more challenging but lots of fun. And everyone will be supportive if you just hit a single plate. Lots of good help is offered.

Give it a try you will enjoy it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, fishnut said:

I believe TTC has some sort of moving target 

Yes, at the 40 yard line.  There are two targets that can move laterally across the full width of the range. Haven't seen it in action recently though.

• Like 1

Thinking this through a little more, you would really need to find a place to train/practice on a moving target.  Just going to a match and shooting at moving targets on a few stages is not really going to give you enough repetition.

• Like 1

Shooting a moving target within 35 feet with a handgun is the same as shooting a static target. There are 3 factors that go into this and they both have to do with you. The first one is being able to actually shoot your gun properly. Meaning all the fundamentals grip, stance, trigger control, no anticipation and pulling the shot down, sight picture... the second is being able to aquire the sight picture instantly. The third one, and this is the big one, getting over the mental part of it. I see so many shooters that shoot really well and when they get to the Texas star stage they get nervous, complain that they can't shoot it, proceed to throw 3 mags at it... meanwhile all their groups on cardboard are 3 inches or tighter and their times are acceptable. 

Out of all that the one that is hardest to work on is the second one, getting that gun on target instantly. The only way to get to that point is either to dry fire alot or shoot alot. I don't know what .22 you have but most .22 pistols, at least from what I've heard, should not be dry fired. Your best bet and most fun will be steel challenge matches. 

Steel challenge, also known as steel matches and static steel is your absolute best way to start. You will meet some of the nicest people at shooting matches (and some of the weirdest lol). There is absolutely no reason to be intimidated to go to a match. Almost every competitor stared out with SC and at almost every SC match there is a few brand new shooters. They are extremely new shooter freindly. You don't need a holster, just good safety glasses, ear plugs, 5 mags, gun, hat, lunch and about 200-250 rounds. 

Your probably less than an hour from Old Bridge Rifle and Pistol Club just make sure it's Jake brown road, if not you'll end up at the indoor one that's not near the outdoor range where the SC matches are. 

2 things you need to know when you go, tell them you are new and don't uncase your gun till they tell you to.

Get ready to have a whole lot of fun. ..

• Like 4

OK, once again... you folks are bringin' it! I mistakenly had this idea stuck in my head that steel shooting was a rifle sport, so it wasn't on my radar screen at all. The videos on the Old Bridge website(s) make it look fun! And it dovetails with my plans to try as many firearms and shooting sports as I can this summer & fall. So, I'm going to buy some more magazines (something I was fully intending to do anyway) - and then I'll check out a match there.  

And I didn't know TTC had moving targets either! I'll give them a call and inquire about that.

Of all the good ideas listed, those are the two that seem most beginner-friendly, and aren't a bad commute either - so I'll start there. Thanks, all! Have a great weekend.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Mrs. Peel said:

OK, once again... you folks are bringin' it! I mistakenly had this idea stuck in my head that steel shooting was a rifle sport, so it wasn't on my radar screen at all. The videos on the Old Bridge website(s) make it look fun! And it dovetails with my plans to try as many firearms and shooting sports as I can this summer & fall. So, I'm going to buy some more magazines (something I was fully intending to do anyway) - and then I'll check out a match there.  

And I didn't know TTC had moving targets either! I'll give them a call and inquire about that.

Of all the good ideas listed, those are the two that seem most beginner-friendly, and aren't a bad commute either - so I'll start there. Thanks, all! Have a great weekend.

Peel,

Best way to learn is by DOING IT!  Go have some fun!  Lots of women & kids enjoy shooting steel.  Everybody misses, so don't let that concern you.  Only thing they care about is SAFETY.  3rd Sunday Steel Match is called "Real Deal Steel", and it has a lower round count of just 125 if ya don't miss, so bring at least 200 rounds to shoot the match.  It's just 5 stages x 5 plates per stage x 5 runs per stage, so 5 x 5 x 5 = 125 minimum round count.  Whatever .22 pistol you have, most likely someone else will have extra mags to LOAN YOU!  Things like that are common & can be arranged in advance.  I have friends that go to every match.  One facebook post will get me several offers of loaner mags, so don't be shy!  If 8 yr old kids can shoot this it's time to put-on yer Big Girl panties & jump into the shallow end of the pool :) .Let me know when you're coming to Old Bridge so I can say hello!  You will have SO much fun you'll wonder what took ya so long to show-up!  

Rosey

• Like 1

Mrs Peel,

I know you said early on that you didn't want to do IDPA yet, but please reconsider. This Sunday, 20th, I'll be running the monthly Somerset match in Bridgewater. Sandy will be there helping me run it too.

We are very friendly to new shooters and there is no time pressure at all. In fact for new people we encourage them to go slowly.

If you're interested, sign up at https://somersetidpa.eventbrite.com. It's free to book a spot and $10 on the day which covers your match fee and 2 slices of pizza.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NJSigfan said:

Stu. What exactly is needed to attend this?  I took your IDPA training class a couple years back (it was great and very informative) and currently have 1911 and springfield 45ACP as potential firearms to use.   

IDPA match?  Just sign up using the website - you need a good holster and mag holders.  As long as you're comfortable with drawing from the holster, you're good to go.

Nick pretty much nailed it. I'll be holding a safety briefing for new shooters which you can sit in on as a refresher if you like.

If you're going to use a .45 sign up for CDP division.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

USPSA, IDPA  and 3 gun matches are open to the public and will have some movers mixed in. 

Static steel and knockdown steel are good places to start. They get you used to the range commands and drawing form a holster if shooting centerfire, and can get you used to the basic safety process and gun handling before you throw in movement and strategy. 

Also, don't create intimidation for yourself that isn't there. AT least at OB, we are used to getting probationary OB members showing up to observe and meet their probation requirements. We won't look at you funny if you stop by to check things out as a non member. It wouldn't be the first time it has happened. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, NJSigfan said:

...currently have 1911 and springfield 45ACP as potential firearms to use.   

Any of the firearms that are listed in your signature would work fine for IDPA - pick the one you shoot best and/or are the most comfortable handling.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

6 minutes ago, NJSigfan said:

Thank you Pizza Bob, Stu and Nick for respondin.  Are there any special requirements for the holster or belt?

Can be IWB or OWB (I recommend OWB).  Straight draw - no cant to it. Make sure your belt can handle the weight of the holster/mag holders/mags.  A normal leather belt will be fine - just a floppy nylon belt with a pressure closer will not be enough.

21 minutes ago, Krdshrk said:

Can be IWB or OWB (I recommend OWB).  Straight draw - no cant to it. Make sure your belt can handle the weight of the holster/mag holders/mags.  A normal leather belt will be fine - just a floppy nylon belt with a pressure closer will not be enough.

To be clear, Straight draw is a recommendation. There's no rule against cant, and I run a Safariland GLS with FBI cant in both IDPA and USPSA

55 minutes ago, Shocker said:

To be clear, Straight draw is a recommendation. There's no rule against cant, and I run a Safariland GLS with FBI cant in both IDPA and USPSA

It's a rule for USPSA 5.2.7.3 muzzle can not point further than 3 feet from the shooters feet standing relaxed. 

• Like 1

The only stipulation about the ejection port is the holster can't be cut lower than the front of the ejection port.

There are rules about cant IDPA allows a straight draw or forward cant (FBI), but no rearward cant. USPSA is as Louu stated.

See you there.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Didn't see it mentioned, perhaps I missed it, but Old Bridge runs a match they call OBRAMS which is basically a USPSA style match where you shoot .22 cal guns.  I think they are all two gun matches now, pistol and rifle, but you can probably get away shooting it with just a pistol.