124gr9mm

Where should I buy my reloading press??

After several months searching/reading online and talking to different folks at the ranges, I've pretty much decided that I'm going to buy a Hornady Lock n Load progressive press.  My decision point now is where to buy it.  

I can get it from Amazon with free shipping - https://www.amazon.com/Hornady-Lock-Auto-Progressive-Reloading-Press/dp/B000PD01NS or I can make the drive to Cabelas (same price) and pick it up there, but I didn't know if there was a better place that's more local to north Jersey.

Any recommendations?

If you are ordering from Amazon, and click through the ANJRPC link on their home page (http://www.anjrpc.org/default.asp?), they get a little sliver of the proceeds from Amazon.  A no-cost way to support the state association.  I don't believe you have to be a member of the state association in order for it to work.

29 minutes ago, Rnlinebacker said:

Love mine. Get it from Amazon along with all the shell plates, dies, lock rings etc. It'll be here by Tuesday

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

That's kind of where I'm leaning.  One-stop shopping and free delivery.  I believe Hornady is running a promotion for 500 bullets as well, so I'll see if I can find their coupon as well.

I may have to make a trip to Cabela's anyway to look for powder and primers unless there's something closer (though I enjoy the excuse to browse Cabela's).

5 minutes ago, 10X said:

If you are ordering from Amazon, and click through the ANJRPC link on their home page (http://www.anjrpc.org/default.asp?), they get a little sliver of the proceeds from Amazon.  A no-cost way to support the state association.  I don't believe you have to be a member of the state association in order for it to work.

Thanks 10X!!

I actually am a member, so thanks for the reminder!

You can get it from Jet.com with a $20 coupon which brings the price to ~$372 shipped.  Or from Cabelas just dropped the price to $389 and there are $20 coupons floating around as well.   There's an $8 surcharge for the oversized item so price is $379 shipped.  If you go through Amazon, you have to pay tax as well which I don't think you have to pay with Jet or Cabelas.

Before you go down the red rabbit hole, compare against Dillon's offerings.  

I've had presses from most of the major manufacturers (Lee, Hornady, Dillon, RBCS).  I would never buy another press that's not blue again.  

I used to fiddle with my LnL every single reloading session trying to get it work correctly, with the 650, I just slap the hoolhead in and I'm ready to load.  

I know the LnL seems cheap compared to the 650, but if you add the casefeeder which comes standard on the 650, it's fairly close.  If the price of the 650 is too high, take a look at the 550 or the SBD - both are great presses.

Plus the Dillons hold resale WAY BETTER than the Hornady presses.  You can find plenty used for 80% of new.  I had to practically give my Hornady LnL away (I think I sold it for $350 w/ the case feeder).  

Just do the research before settling on a Hornady.

2 minutes ago, mikeyjones said:

Before you go down the red rabbit hole, compare against Dillon's offerings.  

I've had presses from most of the major manufacturers (Lee, Hornady, Dillon, RBCS).  I would never buy another press that's not blue again.  

I used to fiddle with my LnL every single reloading session trying to get it work correctly, with the 650, I just slap the hoolhead in and I'm ready to load.  

I know the LnL seems cheap compared to the 650, but if you add the casefeeder which comes standard on the 650, it's fairly close.  If the price of the 650 is too high, take a look at the 550 or the SBD - both are great presses.

Plus the Dillons hold resale WAY BETTER than the Hornady presses.  You can find plenty used for 80% of new.  I had to practically give my Hornady LnL away (I think I sold it for $350 w/ the case feeder).  

Just do the research before settling on a Hornady.

I couldn't agree more.  I have many presses, the blue ones are the only ones that are here to stay (in addition to my Rockchucker for single stage).  I spent way too much time with other presses trying to tweak them.  Dillon presses are really well made and easy to keep running smoothly.

Yet, I have used Hornady progressives almost since day one (when Dillon only had a 4-station press) and have NEVER had to tweak it. Before Hornady, is was the Star progressive (more than I needed or could afford) or the Dillon 4-station that just did not meet my desires for a progressive press.

I have had to help tweak a friend's two 650s and I have had to tweak my 1050s. All I ever did to my Hornady's was to replace a pawl I broke and Hornady replaced free--and that was drop in and lock.

There is no color to worship and no color is problem free.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, noylj said:

Yet, I have used Hornady progressives almost since day one (when Dillon only had a 4-station press) and have NEVER had to tweak it. Before Hornady, is was the Star progressive (more than I needed or could afford) or the Dillon 4-station that just did not meet my desires for a progressive press.

I have had to help tweak a friend's two 650s and I have had to tweak my 1050s. All I ever did to my Hornady's was to replace a pawl I broke and Hornady replaced free--and that was drop in and lock.

There is no color to worship and no color is problem free.

I'm just curious if you liked the Hornay press, why get a 1050?

I love my Dillons. Two 650's and two 1050's. Regardless of whose press you buy, things on these presses will break. Its inevitable with extended use. They are machines with many moving parts. Dillon has been great replacing broken parts on my presses without question when needed. Even on my 1050s that dont have the lifetime warranty, Dillon has been very generous helping me out when needed. If you ever get stuck with an issue about your press, a live person from the USA is a quick phone call away. They will spend whatever time it takes to walk you through it over the phone. People who are trained experts at adjusting these presses and not someone reading from a manual.

Over the last twenty years that I have used Dillon products I have had to modify, tweak, and adjust certain things but most of that was me tinkering to try to get things to work better. It wasnt absolutely necessary. Basically me not leaving well enough alone.

Considering that Dillon may be more money then the others I truly believe the consumer gets their money's worth in satisfaction from many years of enjoyment in reloading. That is priceless.

Thanks all for the input.

Red vs Blue is a lot like Glock vs Sig IMO.

I've looked around a lot and spoken to a bunch of different people, and at the end of the day I think the Hornady will  be a good fit for me.

• Like 1

I like my LNL press.  I understand the blue mystique but at the end if the day I think it is what fits you. Check the Ultimate Reloader website for more info.  Shop around LNL presses go on sale at Cabelas, Midsouth Shooters Supply, Amazon, yes Amazon. MidwayUSA, and others.  

Thanks all for the input.

Red vs Blue is a lot like Glock vs Sig IMO.
I've looked around a lot and spoken to a bunch of different people, and at the end of the day I think the Hornady will  be a good fit for me.
Any questions you have about it?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I forgot to answer the question of where to buy -- usually Natchez has the best price although their shipping can sometimes be high -- Also check mid south shooters supply

both companies will take care of you  if there are any issues on their end

>I'm just curious if you liked the Hornay press, why get a 1050?

Read your question and tell me the answer.

I liked my old Honda 500, but got a Harley when the Honda was stolen.

I liked my Nissan, but got a Lexus to replace it.

There were ads with our electric bill and one was for a Dillon 1050 for about $650 that my wife showed me. Checked it out and it came with three tool heads and about five caliber conversion kits. My wife "suggested" that I should now give my Hornady to my son (otherwise, believe me, I would STILL have it) as he had just asked for recommendations on what to buy as he wanted to get into reloading, so I set him up.

Then, I found another and then a third one on eBay at a good price (that one came completely disassembled and was so much FUN to put together).

As I have said before, if someone stole all three 1050s, I would have a new L-N-L on the bench real fast, but I would look for good deals on 1050s (but nothing BLUE).

2 hours ago, noylj said:

>I'm just curious if you liked the Hornay press, why get a 1050?

Read your question and tell me the answer.

I liked my old Honda 500, but got a Harley when the Honda was stolen.

I liked my Nissan, but got a Lexus to replace it.

There were ads with our electric bill and one was for a Dillon 1050 for about $650 that my wife showed me. Checked it out and it came with three tool heads and about five caliber conversion kits. My wife "suggested" that I should now give my Hornady to my son (otherwise, believe me, I would STILL have it) as he had just asked for recommendations on what to buy as he wanted to get into reloading, so I set him up.

Then, I found another and then a third one on eBay at a good price (that one came completely disassembled and was so much FUN to put together).

As I have said before, if someone stole all three 1050s, I would have a new L-N-L on the bench real fast, but I would look for good deals on 1050s (but nothing BLUE).

I'm sorry I don't follow your logic.  You're admitting the Dillon is an upgrade over the LnL, yet you'd get a LnL again?  It seems circular to me.

You can get $100 cabelas gift cards on ebay right now for $82 from smv gift cards. Order it through the active junky website to get 6% back. On top of that use a cabelas coupon and get it shipped to the store. After all that it will be practically free. 

If your going that route pm me your email and I'll send you a link for active junky so we both get $10 the first time you use it.

I just got paid $108 from active junky, free money!

• Like 1

I purchased almost all my reloading equipment from Garden State Armory.  If they aren't too far from you I would recommend stopping by.  They aren't far off 78 or 287 or 22 in Warren in Somerset County.

Ask if they can order the press for you if they don't have it in stock.  They have almost everything you'll need (powder, primers, shell plates, dies, etc) or will order it for you.  Very nice to deal with.  I also purchased a nice Marlin 30-30 (not a Remlin).  They have some nice pre-owned firearms as well.

http://www.gardenstatearmory.com/

• Like 1

10 hours ago, gleninjersey said:

I purchased almost all my reloading equipment from Garden State Armory.  If they aren't too far from you I would recommend stopping by.  They aren't far off 78 or 287 or 22 in Warren in Somerset County.

Ask if they can order the press for you if they don't have it in stock.  They have almost everything you'll need (powder, primers, shell plates, dies, etc) or will order it for you.  Very nice to deal with.  I also purchased a nice Marlin 30-30 (not a Remlin).  They have some nice pre-owned firearms as well.

http://www.gardenstatearmory.com/

I am a new re-loader as well and I just got my first lb of Powder there along with primers.(Purchased un-loaders there as well)

Very nice and very helpful staff there, they will answer any questions you have.

>I'm sorry I don't follow your logic.  You're admitting the Dillon is an upgrade over the LnL, yet you'd get a LnL again?  It seems circular to me.

Just what is your point for this attack?

My point, for those that can't comprehend the world as it is, is that I bought my 1050s over time at very good prices and could NOT, in the next month, duplicate that. I certainly can not afford to pay the MSRP for a 1050.

Thus, if you can understand this, I would buy a press that I CAN AFFORD and I CAN HAVE ON THE BENCH almost immediately that I have GREAT EXPERIENCE WITH. A press that I taught my son and SIL how to reload with. 

Would you NOT drive while you waited to save up for your ideal car or would you consider buying a used car that you have experience with and were quite happy with?

I don't go out and buy a Harley new at full retail, but if I find a great deal on one...

I don't go out and buy a Lexus new at full retail, but if I find a great deal on one...

• Like 1

Thanks all for the continued info/updates.  Definitely keep them coming.

The earliest I could pull the trigger would be the end of October/early November so I may wait for some holiday sales (if they exist).

Hornady has a coupon for 500 free bullets that expires at the end of the year, so I definitely have to get it before then.

Thanks!

Just picked up a Hornady LNL AP from Cabelas. Went through Active Junky for 10% back, had a $20 off $150 coupon, and signed up for a Cabelas card for another $25 off. Ended paying $352.99 shipped. Should get $35 back from Active Junky in a couple months.

You can definitely pick up some good deals if you shop around.

Also picked up an Ultra mount with a quick change plate. Definitely something to consider if you want to raise the press up higher and be able to swap out other presses or tools quickly.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

• Like 1