124gr9mm

Where should I buy my reloading press??

4 hours ago, 124gr9mm said:

Thanks all for the continued info/updates.  Definitely keep them coming.

The earliest I could pull the trigger would be the end of October/early November so I may wait for some holiday sales (if they exist).

Hornady has a coupon for 500 free bullets that expires at the end of the year, so I definitely have to get it before then.

Thanks!

I don't know you and don't care what you buy.

But, in a progressive press, If you buy anything other than a Dillon you're buying a toy not a machine.

• Like 1

I don't know you and don't care what you buy.
But, in a progressive press, If you buy anything other than a Dillon you're buying a toy not a machine.

The star reloaders are in a class by themselves. Getting parts can be tough though. Dillon makes a good machine as well.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I have to say that this thread really got me thinking about the Hornady LNL AP.  I know that I spoke about my Dillon earlier without ever having used a LNL AP.  I did a lot of reading of reviews and videos online and the LNL AP looked like a well built machine.  Having a lot of Cabelas bucks in my Cabelas account, I decided to order the Hornady LNL AP with spares and accessories using just the Cabelas bucks.  The press arrived two days ago and I mounted it on my bench last night.  I will continue setting it up and load some .223 this weekend.  I have to say that it is very well built.  The ram is giant and I like the grease fitting locations.  

3 hours ago, leadunderpressure said:

The star reloaders are in a class by themselves. Getting parts can be tough though. Dillon makes a good machine as well.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Agreed.  But as you said Star is in a class by itself and parts are pretty unobtainable,  Though there are loads still in operation as a professional reloader

Just bringing this back to the top to thank everyone for your input.

Over the past 6 weeks or so I've been buying things as I catch them on sale, and last weekend my Lock n Load press arrived.  I haven't had a lot of free time available in large blocks, so over the course of the last week I've been setting the press up to load 9mm.

Like many others I had the most difficulty setting up the dies.  I ended up smashing a few cases as I was trying to dial things in, but I have TONS of brass saved up so I didn't mind.

Since I bought a Hornady press and dies they're sending me 600 "free" bullets, but I couldn't wait for that so I ordered 100 from Everglades ammo and picked up some powder and primers to get started.

I successfully loaded and test fired my first 20 rounds this morning with nothing going bang unexpectedly. 

I was at the bottom of the load data (.1 grain under actually) because I'm being VERY cautious, but all 20 rounds functioned as expected out of my Glock 17 with no problems cycling, ejecting, etc.

I'm sure I'll have lots of questions as I go, but I'll put them in new threads as appropriate.

Thanks again!

Welcome to the club.  The learning curve takes a little time, but you'll master it.  Go slow, be careful, remember to document your loading (ie nbr rounds loaded with data COL, Charge weight, powder used, brass type).  Don;t load to many until you get your preferred load. Taking down loaded ammo sucks.  I got 800 30*06 to do somebody else screwed up, didn't doc charge or powder used.  Argh!

1 hour ago, T Bill said:

Welcome to the club.  The learning curve takes a little time, but you'll master it.  Go slow, be careful, remember to document your loading (ie nbr rounds loaded with data COL, Charge weight, powder used, brass type).  Don;t load to many until you get your preferred load. Taking down loaded ammo sucks.  I got 800 30*06 to do somebody else screwed up, didn't doc charge or powder used.  Argh!

Thanks T Bill.

Yes, I have a notebook dedicated for reloading so I'm trying to keep track of as much as I can.

In an effort to keep it simple I'm sticking with one caliber, powder, and primer to start.

This first load worked out well, so I'm probably going to make another 30 rounds of it.  After that I'll increase powder a bit (using same bullet, brass, primer COL, etc.) in batches of 10 and see how it goes from there.

After that the bullets from Hornady should be here so I'll have to reset things since they're JHP and I'm using RN right now.

Remember accuracy is key, not speed. The best loading I've done shows the charge weight far from max.  IDPA and ISPC minimum power factor is 125 so shoot for just north of that.  Brass lasts longer that way.