Sevenshot

Can I leave guns with wife?

Of course I wouldn't advertise anything I might do in the future.

long story very short, an unexpected, slight emergency arose. Obviously from this post, whether or not I needed to go home first was a question. It was handled, but knowing for next time is better than not knowing. Was just wondering if any possession exceptions are made for wives.

22 minutes ago, Sevenshot said:

Was just wondering if any possession exceptions are made for wives.

Generally, yes, there is a strict possession limit for wives.     Parts of Utah are considerably more lenient, though.

• Like 4

Wives? The owner of the gun is the owner. To place the guns in the possession of your wife or anyone other than yourself would constitute an illegal transfer as far I have heard. Just as my wife can't take my guns to the range by herself without me being there.

Not to say I agree with this stupid law, but I don't think the PRNJ gives the wife of a gun owner special privileges. I could be wrong about this though. Others here with greater knowledge will chime in.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, GRIZ said:

Are all your guns locked up when you're not at home so your wife can't get them? If you happen to get hit by a bus will your wife need to get a locksmith to get at your guns?

Griz,  I know this question was not meant for me but I would like to answer for my particular situation......If I got hit by a bus, my wife would indeed need a locksmith to get into my safes. She has one pistol she likes, a Ruger SR22. At my request, she is in the process of getting a NJFPID card and a P2P so I can legally transfer it to her. 

Everything that is mine is hers as well.....Except my guns per PRNJ rules!  I am doing this against my will to protect her should she ever use that weapon in a SD situation so as not to get jammed up by a stupid law.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 10X said:

Generally, yes, there is a strict possession limit for wives.     Parts of Utah are considerably more lenient, though.

10X,  Please tell me what strict provisions the PRNJ has made for a legal temporary transfer of a weapon purchased by me to my wife. I am not aware of any such provision but I am always willing to learn when I could be wrong.

5 hours ago, Sevenshot said:

If I come from the range and want to run to the store before home, does NJ allow me to drop my WIFE and pistol at my grandparents' place? What about rifle?

Nowhere in the statutes does it list a Grandparents home as an exemption. Legally speaking, the answer to your question is NO!, Nor does the law allow you to leave the guns with your wife while you went to the store as that would be an illegal transfer.

Did I mention how much I hate this state!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, JohnnyB said:

Griz,  I know this question was not meant for me but I would like to answer for my particular situation......If I got hit by a bus, my wife would indeed need a locksmith to get into my safes. She has one pistol she likes, a Ruger SR22. At my request, she is in the process of getting a NJFPID card and a P2P so I can legally transfer it to her. 

Everything that is mine is hers as well.....Except my guns per PRNJ rules!  I am doing this against my will to protect her should she ever use that weapon in a SD situation so as not to get jammed up by a stupid law.

You're right wasn't directed at you.  You have to do what you feel is right for you.

I know what NJ law says.  I started as a LEO in 1974.  I have never heard of any relative or coinhabitant ever being charged in a legitimate SD situation using someone else's gun.  If anyone has heard of one please let me know.

We all have to make our own decisions on this issue.

• Like 3

OP: Do you really want to give your wife temporary possession of the rifle or did you just want to leave them at another location locked in strong box/safe so only you can get to them until you return?

7 hours ago, JohnnyB said:

10X,  Please tell me what strict provisions the PRNJ has made for a legal temporary transfer of a weapon purchased by me to my wife. I am not aware of any such provision but I am always willing to learn when I could be wrong.

It was a joke.

Here's another:

Do you know what the penalty is for bigamy?

Two wives.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ray Ray said:

Where do these questions come from?

7 hours ago, GRIZ said:

Are all your guns locked up when you're not at home so your wife can't get them? If you happen to get hit by a bus will your wife need to get a locksmith to get at your guns?

Suppose coming home from the range I get hit by a bus and the ambulance driver takes my guns for safe keeping. What time will the bus get to Cleveland? 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, BobA said:

Suppose coming home from the range I get hit by a bus and the ambulance driver takes my guns for safe keeping. What time will the bus get to Cleveland? 

It depends on the ground speed of unladen swallow.

3 hours ago, NJGF said:

OP: Do you really want to give your wife temporary possession of the rifle or did you just want to leave them at another location locked in strong box/safe so only you can get to them until you return?

Certainly the latter but already knew that was against NJ rules. Was wondering if wife being there made a difference. I know I can lock a rifle in the trunk but rather not leave it unattended. 

11 hours ago, Ray Ray said:

Where do these questions come from?

They come from the confused & scared that don't have the knowledge or testicular fortitude that we do.  They come from guys (and gals) who listen to ill-informed Fudd half-wits behind gun counters cause "they work there so they must KNOW".  They come from guys/gals who've never shot an action league hand gun match at a private club & seen all of the out-of-state plates in the parking lot.  They come from guys/gals afraid to stop to pee or get a cheeseburger, fries & a beer at the local pub after a hand gun match.     

12 hours ago, Sevenshot said:

Of course I wouldn't advertise anything I might do in the future.

long story very short, an unexpected, slight emergency arose. Obviously from this post, whether or not I needed to go home first was a question. It was handled, but knowing for next time is better than not knowing. Was just wondering if any possession exceptions are made for wives.

Here's an oxymoronic possession EXCEPTION made just for wives, so enjoy it while yer still breathin':

You can't give or gift your hand gun(s) to your wife.  You can't LOAN it to her so she can drive to the range with it without you, so she can go BANG with it.  You can't leave for a bidness trip & ask her to take it to the gunsmith for a trigger job.  Even if it's "Hers" and you "bought the little pink gun" FOR HER!  But if you get hit by the Bus above^^^ & buy the farm and have her listed as the specific beneficiary of them in your will, she doesn't have to prop-up your dead body in the sports car to drive HER 200-gun collection to the range or any other EXEMPT location, because ownership was transferred upon your death AND THEY, ALL OF IT, ARE NOW HERS!  And since there's no mandatory registration in the PRNJ, she has no P2P's to apply for, no paperwork at all other than probating your will you poor, deceased "Weekend at Bernie's" STIFF!

If your beautiful bride can be convinced to apply for & receive her very own NJFPID, you can "sell" her (via a filled-out Certificate of Eligibility--in duplicate) any NJ compliant rifle or scattergun anywhere in NJ, (at any time of the day or night) BUT in a gun free zone, military or federal installation, or at a Camden, Newark or other ILLEGAL gun "buy-back" in church basements :) .  

So for the next "emergency" keep the hand gun in your car UNLOADED, make your "acceptable deviation" per Griz, and if you're SH!T-SCARED to have a rifle as you do your emergency errand, sell the long gun to your wife or any stranger on the street that happens to be carrying a NJFPID card & some state-recognized photo ID...

Just don't leave any 300 year old "flintless" flintlock pistols , wrapped in a dinner napkin, in your car's glove box! :) 

1 hour ago, Smokin .50 said:

They come from the confused & scared that don't have the knowledge or testicular fortitude that we do.  They come from guys (and gals) who listen to ill-informed Fudd half-wits behind gun counters cause "they work there so they must KNOW".  They come from guys/gals who've never shot an action league hand gun match at a private club & seen all of the out-of-state plates in the parking lot.  They come from guys/gals afraid to stop to pee or get a cheeseburger, fries & a beer at the local pub after a hand gun match.     

The force is strong in you master.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Smokin .50 said:

Here's an oxymoronic possession EXCEPTION made just for wives, so enjoy it while yer still breathin':

You can't give or gift your hand gun(s) to your wife.  You can't LOAN it to her so she can drive to the range with it without you, so she can go BANG with it.  You can't leave for a bidness trip & ask her to take it to the gunsmith for a trigger job.  Even if it's "Hers" and you "bought the little pink gun" FOR HER!  But if you get hit by the Bus above^^^ & buy the farm and have her listed as the specific beneficiary of them in your will, she doesn't have to prop-up your dead body in the sports car to drive HER 200-gun collection to the range or any other EXEMPT location, because ownership was transferred upon your death AND THEY, ALL OF IT, ARE NOW HERS!  And since there's no mandatory registration in the PRNJ, she has no P2P's to apply for, no paperwork at all other than probating your will you poor, deceased "Weekend at Bernie's" STIFF!

... :) 

Is that even necessary to do?

16 minutes ago, GRIZ said:

If she is your sole heir probably not.  If you have other heirs either named or by law (no will) the guns are part of your estate.

^^^True!  I advise folks to write the guns specifically so as to comply with the letter of the 2C Statutes that states "if willed directly, then they may pass directly to the beneficiary w/o any further paperwork".  I paraphrased instead of looking for the direct quote.  The writing of it into the will is to display for the Probate Court the intent of the deceased that they directly transfer, thus avoiding any issue with the Executrix (the wife) having to file for NJFPID or and P2P's and/or OGAM exemption in order to take possession.  

It also enables an Executrix that is  PROHIBITED PERSON to "take possession" for up to 180 days while she disposes (sells) them or transfers them with P2P's and/or C.O.E. paperwork but w/o $ changing hands (such as offspring & other kin folks) & then notifies her CLEO that the gun(s) were transferred to a person whom isn't prohibited.  

The firearms can also be directly willed to other family members, friends, even complete strangers or museums/trusts, relieving the wife (whether or not she's a Prohibited Person) from the burden of any additional handling and/or paperwork.  You can will a complete stranger your gun(s) by name and create no paper trail other than a signed receipt from the beneficiary.  

• Like 1