Sevenshot

Can I leave guns with wife?

21 hours ago, JohnnyB said:

s as well.....Except my guns per PRNJ rules! 

Oh man, could this be the ultimate divorce loophole? 

Sell the house, sell your car, sell everything and buy six figures worth of firearms then slap her with a divorce paper and make out like a bandit? LOL

I need to run this shit by a lawyer! They might love it...

2 hours ago, mossburger said:

Oh man, could this be the ultimate divorce loophole? 

Sell the house, sell your car, sell everything and buy six figures worth of firearms then slap her with a divorce paper and make out like a bandit? LOL

I need to run this shit by a lawyer! They might love it...

I would think any half as divorce lawyer would make you come up with the money for her half.

23 hours ago, Smokin .50 said:

They come from the confused & scared that don't have the knowledge or testicular fortitude that we do.  They come from guys (and gals) who listen to ill-informed Fudd half-wits behind gun counters cause "they work there so they must KNOW".  

They come from people from free states. And unfortunately, the "I'm from a free state and could never imagine such an absurd law on the books" hasn't been a viable defense in any of the countless cases of out-of-staters getting arrested and charged. Even those that aren't convicted spend a fortune saving themselves from the absurd laws here. Yeah, I think I'll continue to ask all the dumb questions I need to satisfy that I won't need the pipe dream Christie pardon.

And you and other NJers think the laws are stupid here? Imagine someone who grew up hunting before school and then leaving guns and ammo in the trunk while parked in the school parking lot. By the way, this is widely done and perfectly legal where I am from. The vast majority of laws here don't just seem dumb to me, they blow my mind.

The worst part about living up here? I see the writing on the wall in my home state as more people from this area relocate and retire to my state. The numbers have grown to the point where it's becoming more and more like the state these individuals so badly wanted to leave. Freedoms being stripped by "the damn Yankees." I guess living up here will be good practice, though I hope the 2A community won't roll over as easily as they did here and let it get quite this bad.

The Elmer Fudd types providing useless info? They are on this forum and hijack every single thread. It's very difficult to sift through all the trash in every thread to get any actual information. So big thank you to everyone who actually answered that there are no exceptions. And also big thanks to Griz in particular for always answering and providing some additional detail based on your experience.

Jeff, you're 100% correct!  Just one generation ago kids here in NJ would hunt on their way to school, and leave their long guns in the Principal's office.  ONE generation.  These folks are still alive & many are my friends.  I've been a Jersey gun owner for four decades, and a shooter for 46 years.  And I'm frustrated to admit things are as bad as they are, but at the same time I'm proud to be a Second Amendment patriot & VP of NJ's busiest Second Amendment organization, The Coalition of New Jersey Firearm Owners (CNJFO) http://www.cnjfo.com .

There's the letter of the law, there's the INTENT of the law, there's even laws on the books that have never been used (as Griz always states about wives & domestic partners using a firearm that isn't registered to themselves in a self-defense encounter).  Please continue to ask whatever questions you deem necessary to keep yer butt outta jail.  Griz, I & others will do our best to answer your questions before the Fudds do.  I'll admit to using sarcasm (like driving-around "Bernie the Stiff" in a passenger's seat) as a way to illustrate how stupid the laws are, and I do it primarily to entertain the readers instead of dryly linking to written law that can be (is ALWAYS) misinterpreted w/o also reading the EXEMPTION to that very law that ALLOWS YOU TO DO IT.  Case in point is "selling" your wife the rifle you don't wanna transport.  I'm not being smug, I merely illustrate absurdity by being absurd.  Everything I type you can take to the bank!  

Today's bonus Tip:  If you buy or mail-order 7.62 x 39mm rounds for your AK variant, and they happen to be hollow point rounds, you have to treat them (in & of themselves) as if they were a hand gun, and only make "reasonable deviations" while employing the "Directly To & From Rule" that is the EXEMPTION that lets you have them!  So don't merely throw a case of HP ammo (pistol OR RIFLE) in your car trunk & drive around town or across the state with them while you do errands, cause what yer doin' is a FELONY!  See, HP rounds are "HOLLOW POINT ROUNDS!", whether for a pistol OR a rifle.  NJ law makes no difference the platform the ammo fits in.  Same goes for ANY rifle or hand gun caliber.  OH, and if you move (with HP's) from one Jersey pad to another, please stop at an EXEMPT location (even a closed commercial range or private R&P club) while transiting between old residence & new residence cause Jersey forgot to write an EXEMPTION for moving HP ammo :) .

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Sevenshot said:

The worst part about living up here? I see the writing on the wall in my home state as more people from this area relocate and retire to my state. The numbers have grown to the point where it's becoming more and more like the state these individuals so badly wanted to leave. Freedoms being stripped by "the damn Yankees." I guess living up here will be good practice, though I hope the 2A community won't roll over as easily as they did here and let it get quite this bad.

As my family in NC tells me: The irony of the whole thing that many of the people who move/retire to that "free state" end up hating it there. While sitting in NJ/NY and paying their high taxes (but also making lots of money) they yearn to move somewhere like NC or FL. However when they get there, all of a sudden they see why the taxes are so low. It's a trade off. They get mad that the city has no curbs, they get mad about the bare bones trash pickup schedule, about septic tanks, they see the tire skid marks on the road and want more cops. Their neighbor runs an ATV and they get pissed the county has no noise ordinance (or enough deputies to enforce it). They complain about the roads and the condition of them. They want a slower and more laid back life where everyone isn't in a hurry, but they complain that everything closes at 8pm and isn't open Sundays. 

I'm not even gonna get into the economics of things, because unless you're in a few select cities, no one is gonna pay some random middle-aged person 100k+ a year to work as a "consultant" and wages as a whole are much lower to match the lower cost of living. Suffice to say, a lot of the people my age are scrambling away from the south and midwest because there just isn't any money there. 

Then before you know it, there's enough of them living there, and now they're at town hall meetings, and now the municipality is spending more and more...and has to start raising taxes. Oh, and then they turn the whole state (and by extension, country) blue in the next presidential election. Just look at a place like Colorado, ten years ago, ask yourself if anyone ever saw magazine limits coming? 

At the end of the day, you have to kill a cancer before it spreads, not transplant it to another part of the same body.

• Like 2

I'm not directing this at anyone just sharing my thoughts on an issue brought up.

Given 2 choices,

Option 1, leaving my wife access to my guns so she could defend herself.  

Option 2, keeping my guns locked away from her and having her murdered or raped with no means to defend herself because I'm worried about an illegal transfer.

I'll go with option 1 everytime.

There is such a thing as exigent circumstances that is recognized in the law.  You can be allowed to do certain things because an emergency dictates it.  That's why a cop can kick down a door without a warrant if someone is screaming help on the other side.  That's why the FAA doesn't charge an unlicensed person with flying without a license when they land a plane because the pilot is incapacitated.

It's also the reason no prosecutor in their right mind would pursue an illegal transfer case where someone used someone else's gun to legitimately defend themselves.

Could you imagine the courtroom?

"Mr and Mrs Jones are being charged with illegal transfer of a handgun.  Mr Jones was away on a business trip and left Mrs Jones access to one of his handguns.  Someone broke into the Jones' residence and threatened to rape then murder Mrs Jones. Mrs Jones shot and killed her assailant.  That was permitted by law.  BUT THE HANDGUN SHE USED WAS NOT LEGALLY TRANSFERRED TO HER BY HER HUSBAND".

Bernhard Goetz was found not guilty of 4 counts attempted murder but got 6 months for illegally carrying a gun.  The only reason it went to trial was because the DA brought it to multiple grand juries before he got an indictment.  The jury said it was okay you shot those guys but not okay you were carrying a gun.  I guess they felt compelled to find him guilty of something.

• Like 4

Thanks GRIZ!  

Re: Bernie Goetz, I have a friend with a reloading station in his basement.  The reloading supply cabinets are adorned with old bumper stickers that are VERY Pro-Gun.  My favorite:  "EVERY MUGGER DESERVES WHAT HE GOETZ!"  Runner-up:  "My gun killed less people than Ted Kennedy's CAR!".  Yes the DA had to "shop around for a Grand Jury" while every New Yorker interviewed on radio, tv or in the papers was for letting Goetz go free.  Town Hall had to repress "vigilantism", so they tried in vain to crucify him.  Then high-ranking insiders gave the media copies of all of the Perps "Rap Sheets", turning public opinion 100% for Goetz (if I recall correctly--it's been a while).  Subway muggings went WAY down for a while, presumably because the Perps didn't want to meet-up with copy-cats.  1 Police Plaza sorta kept those numbers UNDER WRAPS!

Again, thanks for "keepin' it REAL"!

1 hour ago, Tunaman said:

Isnt everything bought and aquired together in a legal marriage 1/2 hers automatically?  

Automatically when?  At time of purchase/acquisition?  At time of spouses death?

Hand gun permits don't have room for two named individuals & neither do C.O.E.'s for long guns.  So the gun(s) only BELONG to one or the other.  The monetary VALUE (expressed in dollars) of said personal property can be divided in Divorce Court, and the one & only owner of said firearm(s) can either liquidate the asset (sell it) or buy the spouse's portion (as decreed in the divorce papers).  This monetary arrangement is normal & customary for property obtained during a marriage.  It still doesn't give a spouse the right to illegally possess, illegally transport to & from an exempt location (i.e.:  shooting range) since only the OWNER is stipulated to have those EXEMPTIONS.  If there are 10 beneficiaries (heirs) named in the will, which one gets to take it to the range?  Answer:  The owner of said firearm NAMED IN THE WILL or whomever the Executor/Executrix deems worthy of either an offer to buy-out the other heirs OR he/she may simply liquidate the asset to satisfy the Probate Court so as to enable him/her to make disbursements from the deceased's estate.

At time of spouses death, if a firearm is named in the will of a deceased, it becomes the property of the named heir/beneficiary.  Most likely that will be the spouse, but sometimes it might be a favorite grandson, for instance.  I can will my firearm(s) to the NRA Museum, my local Boy Scout Council, etc. as I don't need to will them to a live, breathing person.

• Like 2