MartyZ

Second Amendment Guarantee Act

Just heard about this and then found it on the NRA-ILA site.

Rep Chris Collins, of NY of all places, introduced the SAGA bill H.R. 3576, basically making state level AWBs illegal.

From the NRA site "The SAGA would ensure that state regulations could not effectively prevent the manufacture, sale, importation, or possession of any rifle or shotgun lawfully available under federal law or impose any prohibitive taxes, fees, or design limitations on such firearms."

start calling and emailing your reps and lets get this pushed thru.

https://www.nraila.org/articles/20170804/second-amendment-guarantee-act-would-protect-popular-rifles-shotguns-from-antigun-politicians

• Like 2

On 8/13/2017 at 8:41 PM, MartyZ said:

Rep Chris Collins, of NY of all places, introduced the SAGA bill H.R. 3576, basically making state level AWBs illegal.

From the NRA site "The SAGA would ensure that state regulations could not effectively prevent the manufacture, sale, importation, or possession of any rifle or shotgun lawfully available under federal law or impose any prohibitive taxes, fees, or design limitations on such firearms."

https://www.nraila.org/articles/20170804/second-amendment-guarantee-act-would-protect-popular-rifles-shotguns-from-antigun-politicians

He's fulfilling a promise to his constituents.   That's about as far as it goes.

This would be a good start, but a constitutional amendment would be better (although, I highly doubt you'd have the support for that level). The next anti-2A congress or administration could overturn this entirely too easily, or challenge it in court.

1 hour ago, mattm754 said:

This would be a good start, but a constitutional amendment would be better (although, I highly doubt you'd have the support for that level). The next anti-2A congress or administration could overturn this entirely too easily, or challenge it in court.

IIRC,  SCOTUS has already ruled some restrictive state firearms laws are constitutional.  That's SCOTUS enforcing the 10A.  They could change that of course as they did the separate but equal ruling with schools and other things.

A Constitutional Amendment is not adopted to enforce another Constitutional Amendment.  It's the role of SCOTUS to determine what is constitutional and what's not.  The procedure to adopt a new Amendment is complicated and expensive.

The easiest way for the Federal government to circumvent the 10A is to put a requirement on funding.  They did that with the 55 mph speed limit, 21 year old drinking, .08 DWI, and a lot of other things.

On 8/13/2017 at 8:41 PM, MartyZ said:

NOW i gotta go check their page. if i see nra get VERY strongly behind this, i'll donate in addition to my membership.