Sign in to follow this  
TripleD

Large grips for a S&W 686+

Hey everyone, I just got a S&W 686 plus with a 4" barrel and really don't like the grips (too small) Someone told me this is a square butt gun. Isn't it a round butt frame with a round to square conversion grip or is it actually a true square butt? I need to know so I order the right type of grip. I'm obviously new to this. Lol. My hands are large (XL gloves) and I'm looking for some grip suggestions. Thanks in advance. 

IMG_5631.JPG

• Like 1

Purdy gun!

i can't answer the frame question from memory (others here can).  But, that grip comes off with removal of a single screw.    Not a bad thing to do from time to time, so you can wipe down the frame under it with a light coat of oil.    It will also provide the answer you seek.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DSD1026 said:

You probably should've posted this in the Handguns section to get more traction, but I believe 686+ are a round butt gun, but some grip manufacturers (i.e. Hogue) make a RB to SB conversion.  That is what I am seeing on the S&W forums. 

Damn, I saw "pistols" and made the thread here. Maybe a moderator could move it to the Handguns section if that would be better. Thanks. 

That would be a round butt gun.

You may want to try this grip...

http://store.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product4_750001_750051_765464_-1_758003_757843_757837_ProductDisplayErrorView_N

It is used on the X-frame guns. I have them on all my IDPA revolvers.

Good luck.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Pizza Bob said:

That would be a round butt gun.

You may want to try this grip...

http://store.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product4_750001_750051_765464_-1_758003_757843_757837_ProductDisplayErrorView_N

It is used on the X-frame guns. I have them on all my IDPA revolvers.

Good luck.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Thanks. I've seen those recommended on other forums as well. Are they larger than the Hogue round to square conversion grips? These:

IMG_5639.PNG

On 8/15/2017 at 1:58 PM, Pizza Bob said:

Marginally because the cover they back strap. The shape is different so it's hard to compare. Grips are very subjective.

2wn4k1s.jpg

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Damn Bob.  Youre fancy.  I say go stock.  The more the gun sucks.  The better shooter youll be.  :(   Unless you're shooting for comp.