Sign in to follow this  
JimmyAGR

6.5 Grendal at distance

So been looking at the Larue Ultimate Upper sale. I really don't need another AR, but the 6.5 Grendal has my interest. Has anyone shot the 6.5 at distance? My 6.5x47 bolt gun is amazing so was thinking of the Grendal for a small frame AR out to 800+.

Thanks,

Jimmy

It's not an unrealistic expectation.  I have a shorter Grendel (18") and wouldn't hesitate at that range.  Here is a comparison to .308

6.5-Grendel-vs-308-Trajectory-Chart.jpg

The top line is a 168 SMK out of a .308. The bottom line is a 123 Amax/SST out of a Grendel.

The grendel has better BC and will get less windshift than the .308.  The drop difference at 800 is about 10" more on the Grendel.  What you get with a Grendel is a light ar, low recoil, cheaper ammo than a .308.

I have a 6mmAR and prefer it for precision distance to the Grendel.  6mmar reloading only.  You can get lapua Grendel brass for a buck a piece and either get a 6mmAR sizing die or a bushing die for sizing to 6mmAR.  You can buy the upper at 6mmAR.com or Young’s gunsmithing, assembled mine and frank’s, in Montana can ream a 6mm barrel and assemble it for you. I got my ar barrel blank from barrelman in Texas.  It was a relatively inexpensive upper build all in all.  

On 8/24/2017 at 7:50 PM, Old School said:

I'm gonna toot my horn.

6mm AR  107SMK BC 0.547 @ 2715fps drops -171.4" @ 800yd.

Consider it tooted. 

1 hour ago, Rob0115 said:

I have a 6mmAR and prefer it for precision distance to the Grendel.  6mmar reloading only.  You can get lapua Grendel brass for a buck a piece and either get a 6mmAR sizing die or a bushing die for sizing to 6mmAR.  You can buy the upper at 6mmAR.com or Young’s gunsmithing, assembled mine and frank’s, in Montana can ream a 6mm barrel and assemble it for you. I got my ar barrel blank from barrelman in Texas.  It was a relatively inexpensive upper build all in all.  

Consider it tooted. 

Rob - Have you been shooting your 6mmAR   Mine must have close to 400rds through it.

9 hours ago, Old School said:

Rob - Have you been shooting your 6mmAR   Mine must have close to 400rds through it.

I have a bit. I probably have 150 rounds through it.   Im using 107 SMKs with XBR8208.  The cartridge is quiet and 0 recoil.   I’m still trying to improve my shooting at this point.  The rifle is outshooting me.  I’m trying to mix in a bit of time with my bolt 6.5L. 

• Like 1