Sign in to follow this  
dajonga

Remington 600 in .308

I am looking to get a .30 caliber rifle with iron sights. I do not want a semi-auto or a C&R.

A .30-30 Marlin would be awesome, except for the cost of ammo...so .308 it is.

The Ruger Gunsite or Savage Scout seemed perfect, but I want to keep this gun simple; I like the idea of an internal magazine that I can top off as needed.

I had decided that the Savage 11 Hog Hunter in .308 was the perfect fit.

Today I saw a Remington 600 with very nice wood at a LGS and I am intrigued.

Does anyone have any experience with the 600? ... or the Hog Hunter? 

Also consider the Model 660 (successor to the 600) and then the Mohawk 600 (successor to the 660). For something a little newer, look at the Model 7.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I have a Remington 600  in 222 Rem  and I love this Rifle such a smooth action and the Dog leg bolt handle for quick cycling mine is very accurate with factory ammo and a tack driver with my reloads they are  short and light have Value they were only made for 3 years ending in 1968 the Holy Grail for this Model is the 223 they were only made in the last year of production and only 1200 were made

I have one in 308.  It's snappy (depending which load I decide to shoot) but I can ring the 100 yard gong at CR pretty easily with it and iron sights.  I have a 1-3 Weaver on it which I think is the perfect scope for the rifle and will dial that in next time up there, hopefully in a couple of weeks.  

It's a great little carbine that I won't be selling anytime soon.  399 is a good price, condition dependent.  Good luck with it.  

Many thanks to Shortfuse for the cool article.

As the Remingtion 600 seems to have a cult-like Cooper-groupie following, and as the rifle in question was in very nice condition, it is mine and is coming home with me after NICS gives me the green light. I can get a current Savage Hog Hunter any time.

400 OTD? You my friend have a quality old school rifle at cheap new rifle price.  Enjoy! A little Birchwood Casey Stock Sheen and Conditioner followed by a good buffing of Gun Stock Wax and it will look showroom new!

Great score.  I paid just a touch less but mine isn't quite as pretty.  

As I said, I have a Weaver Classic 1-3 on mine so that if I ever get to hunt it, I'll be able to see what I'm shooting at.  It's an absolute hoot of a rifle.  Have fun with it.

5 hours ago, Shortfuse said:

You scored Bro that wood is beautiful  good Luck with it what caliber is it

Got it in .308, which is exactly what I wanted my next rifle to be in. I love the way the gun points and handles. Might have to swing by R14 this weekend to try her out. The plastic baseplate is a bit warped, so I may replace it with alum or steel.

On 8/18/2017 at 6:36 PM, Bully said:

Great score.  I paid just a touch less but mine isn't quite as pretty.  

As I said, I have a Weaver Classic 1-3 on mine so that if I ever get to hunt it, I'll be able to see what I'm shooting at.  It's an absolute hoot of a rifle.  Have fun with it.

Bully, 

I want to get familiar with shooting the rifle with open sights, but a scope option in the future is a real possibility. Can you advise on mounts and rings? Would you post a pic of your rig?

I have a Bushnell 1-4 x24mm AR scope with a 30mm tube that I am not using. That magnification would be perfect for this gun. I am not looking to turn it into a precision rifle. If I could accurately hit a man sized target at 300 yards, that would be all I need out of a scope.