ShadowShu

Temporary home or staying in another home with your legally owned guns

Thanks for all the replies!!  

Interesting takes all around.  I was initially thinking hand gun but the long gun post was enlightening is definitely something that sounds simpler and gives me a reason to get a good long gun now lol.

Sounds like I have some limited choices overall:

1. Girlfriend needs to get her NJFID/Pistol permits to arm up at the crib
  2. Move out of NJ
  3. Take a chance and bring it (after establishing the prerequisite aqua velva and undies for a period of time) hoping no one ever finds out and/or I have to use it thusly potentially avoiding vast legal bills and/or imprisonment lol.  What's the famous line better to be judged by 12 than carried by them?

I'm liking #1 in the short term, and definitely #2 (tee hee)

10 hours ago, Smokin .50 said:

NO!  I inherited hand guns w/o any P2P's in the 80's.  NO paperwork.  Guys brought home .45's from the last 3 major conflicts in the 20th century.  My dad was one of them.  Not every gun in NJ has a paper trail to find :) 

Funny about this too.  Being as I lived and resided in Delaware where the laws were dramatically different my current handguns were legally purchased there and from what I read for NJ moving into the state you are NOT required to register the firearms purchased legally as a resident of another state.

25 minutes ago, ShadowShu said:

Funny about this too.  Being as I lived and resided in Delaware where the laws were dramatically different my current handguns were legally purchased there and from what I read for NJ moving into the state you are NOT required to register the firearms purchased legally as a resident of another state.

You are 100% correct, there is no mandatory registration of hand guns or long guns in NJ.  You could wheel-in your bus-sized RV from Free Amerikka loaded with a 200 gun collection and merely keep yer yap shut :) .

• Like 1

On 8/17/2017 at 5:28 AM, NJGF said:

Interestingly neither domicile or residence are defined in NJ firearm laws. There is a common law definition as jackandjill, GRIZ, and Smokin .50 have pointed out:

Black's Law Dictionary
http://thelawdictionary.org/residence/
"Living or dwelling in a certain place permanently or for a considerable length of time. The place where a man makes his home, or where he dwells permanently or for an extended period of time."

All men are created equal & have equal rights?  What about the homeless person living in a box under a RR trestle?  Joe Blow wills him a hand gun.  He's never been "in the system", no priors, no arrests, no convictions.  If it's willed to him, does he get it or does the "system" make him jump thru hoops like being seen for a mental health screening before the Executor/Executrix of the estate makes him sign a receipt under the RR trestle?  Yes, it can happen & probably already has...

Now for more "Hurricane Sandy" fun:  How many residences am I allowed to have?  Can I store gunz at all of them?  Gun laws don't stipulate "voting, permanent, long-term, 4 walls of wood or concrete residence".  It just states "RESIDENCE"...  If ownership isn't required to live in a residence (I can rent OR have a rich uncle or several), and no exact time period for residency is written into the law, can I bounce from one pad to the other & shoot at the nearest gun club I'm a member of (maybe I hold memberships in a dozen clubs)?  If I was a millionaire several times over & owned all of these residences do I now have more rights than Joe Blow & his homeless vet buddy?

To my knowledge NJ gun law doesn't use Black's Law Dictionary to define "residence".  Lord knows the NJ gun laws are written by lawyers a LOT more verbose than I'll ever attempt to be, so if they WANTED to write something down in an interpretation, they'd have done so, since we taxpayers give them unrestricted use of tree pulp for this purpose :)