Hairless_Ape

Thumbhole stocks

thumbhole stock is not defined in NJ law.. it is either a pistol grip or it is not.. the grip being connected or not doesn't matter as it is not mentioned.. 

"Pistol grip" means a well defined handle, similar to that found on a handgun, that protrudes

conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon, and which permits the firearm to be held and fired

with one hand.

3 hours ago, vladtepes said:

thumbhole stock is not defined in NJ law.. it is either a pistol grip or it is not.. the grip being connected or not doesn't matter as it is not mentioned.. 

If "it is a pistol grip or it is not" were true then you couldn't own a saiga shotgun with a thumbhole stock.

I think.the only issue is gun owners in this state are a bunch of whipped dogs. So excited of getting that bone on semi-auto shotguns that they're too distracted to realize the full ramifications of it.

On 8/19/2017 at 10:54 AM, Hairless_Ape said:

If "it is a pistol grip or it is not" were true then you couldn't own a saiga shotgun with a thumbhole stock.

I think.the only issue is gun owners in this state are a bunch of whipped dogs. So excited of getting that bone on semi-auto shotguns that they're too distracted to realize the full ramifications of it.

You can not have a Saiga shotgun with a thumbhole stock.. because technically as the assault weapon guidelines are written.. you can not even have a Saiga.. or ANY AK pattern gun for that matter.. 

because...

Avtomat Kalashnikov type semi-automatic firearms are automatically considered assault weapons.. 

but even if you get past that part.. the ability to legally have a thumbhole stock rests solely on the nature of the stock.. since NJ does not define thumbhole stock.. but it does define pistol grip.. you need to confirm that the stock is not a pistol grip.. 

as I said above.. it is a pistol grip or not based on each individual stock... if it fits the following.. then it is in fact a pistol grip..

"Pistol grip" means a well defined handle, similar to that found on a handgun, that protrudes

conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon, and which permits the firearm to be held and fired

with one hand.

you can obviously do whatever you want.. we can pretend that assault weapons are not defined as they are... we can pretend AKs are OK to have just because a lot of shops sell them.. I mean I had a Saiga when I lived in NJ.. but at the end of the day.. as the assault weapons parameters are written.. 

a Saiga is a no go.. as it is an AK type gun

a Saiga 12 with a pistol grip is a no go - if the grip fits the definition of a pistol grip

thats not my interpretation.. its how it is written.. 

• Like 1

and just to address your original question.. even more so than most stocks.. the one you asked about by NJ definition is without any question a pistol grip... 

* it has a well defined handle

* it protrudes conspicuously beneath the action

* you could hold it and fire the gun with one hand

so no matter how it is marketed.. no matter what it is called... according to that guidance it does in fact appear to be the same as a standard A2 grip.. or any other pistol grip..