Sign in to follow this  
JimB1

Red Dot for Bullseye - should I upgrade?

So, I decided I want to get a dedicated 22lr for Bullseye so I can setup my 1911 dedicated to 45. I am waiting on a few permits (hopefully in the next couple of weeks I'll have them Woodbridge is actually pretty good with getting them on time. )

I ordered a S&W Victory from Brownell's because is was crazy cheap on sale ($280 shipped) and I really liked the couple I have tried, they point very naturally for me. I thought about the Ruger Mark IV but my wife has a Mark III competition and while I like it, I wanted to try something different. I am never going to be a high master or anything, I am just a casual bullseye shooter and couldn't bring myself to spend over a grand on a 41, right now the gun isn't the thing holding me back from better scores (trust me, lots of stuff I need to fix but at least I can see my issues now :) ). I just want to have something I can setup for bullseye and not have to swap it around to shoot 45 then re-calibrate everything to get it back to 22lr. Invariably I end up wasting a lot of time.

Currently I am using an advantage arms target upper on my 1911 with an Ultradot 1" 4moa sight. I like the site but I am wondering if going to a smaller dot makes sense or if I should just stick with what I have for now. I know the Ultradot Matchdot is a popular bullseye red dot. Anything else i should be thinking about?

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Thumbrest grips as Bullseye is strong hand only.  Lose the dot, learn to shoot with iron sights, you'll thank me later.  You may want to invest in blinders and other eye optics, but I would learn the basics and then decide what upgrades you would want.  Once you learn to shoot with irons, the rest becomes easy.  Concentrate on the front sight and you we be amazed at how fast your scores improve.

• Like 1

Actually I shoot better with iron sights then the red dot most of the time. My scores actually dropped a little when I started using the red dot which is odd but bullseye is the only time I use a red dot. The rest of the time I use iron sights for everything it was only at the end of the indoor league season last year that my scores with the red dot started to get slightly better then iron sights. I thought about going back to irons for bullseye too. I'm in the mid-200s with either so it's not like the red dot gives me any sort of advantage.