EWC88

Leak in basement from bilco doors

So I have a leak that is coming from under my steps leaving out my basement to my back yard via bilco doors. I figured it was because of the really bad grade level outfront of it (slopes towards concrete the doors sit on). To confirm I yanked up a step board and I can see the water coming down from the all the way up top, I saw only to where the wood is mounting to it, so could be under that. 

I was going get dirt, as well as river rock (what is around the rest of backyard against house) and fill it infront of the concrete and have it slope away. But I then thought if getting concrete pour and have it slope away would be better? I wouldn't do a big pad infront of it, maybe 2-3 feet? 

What are your guys thoughts?

Not sure i understood where its leaking from, but certainly start by pitching the water away from the doors. If its seeping in from the actual door, look at getting some seals for it.
If its coming in from the steps or something below the door, then a pad will only do so much; with bad rain all of the ground will get saturated so that would only help so much.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, EWC88 said:

So I have a leak that is coming from under my steps leaving out my basement to my back yard via bilco doors. I figured it was because of the really bad grade level outfront of it (slopes towards concrete the doors sit on). To confirm I yanked up a step board and I can see the water coming down from the all the way up top, I saw only to where the wood is mounting to it, so could be under that. 

I was going get dirt, as well as river rock (what is around the rest of backyard against house) and fill it infront of the concrete and have it slope away. But I then thought if getting concrete pour and have it slope away would be better? I wouldn't do a big pad infront of it, maybe 2-3 feet? 

What are your guys thoughts?

Bro? You even fix your gutter drains yet?

im with @Lambo2936

Lol yea fixed gutter drains, forgot about posting that. Now that I think of it, I believe that thread referred to the leak, crap my memory lately..

The doors do have a slight leak around where it meets the concrete, I temporary have a tarp hanging over doors to prevent that. I will need to seal it though, any good sealant to use for that?

I believe it's seeping through the cinder block wall under where doors are. Now exactly where I don't know, could be under dirt. 

• Like 1

Honestly, i've dealt with leaking block foundations and once whatever material they used back when the house was built is shot, its insanely hard to really waterproof the block from the inside. The sealants and such they make to use on the inside of the block is for moisture, not literal leaks. Try starting by pitching away from the bilco doors, and go from there. 
A cheap, easy thing you could try to seal around the door is a tube of roofing tar. If its a big gap/crack, perhaps try filling it with self-leveling cement prior to putting any sort of sealant. The roofing tar is a PITA to work with but it comes in caulk gun type tubes and works well on most surfaces. Even standard Caulk might work.. really depends on the condition of the door/concrete.

• Like 1

Hard to get clear pic from understairs on the inside so I'll have to get that tomorrow. But here is a pic of the poor grade outside by bilco doors.

https://i.imgur.com/uJOwZ3N.jpg

let me know if that works. Never used imgur so not sure if I'm doing it right.

I have a sumo pump on opposite side, and is actually not bad.

5 minutes ago, EWC88 said:

Hard to get clear pic from understairs on the inside so I'll have to get that tomorrow. But here is a pic of the poor grade outside by bilco doors.

https://i.imgur.com/uJOwZ3N.jpg

let me know if that works. Never used imgur so not sure if I'm doing it right.

I have a sumo pump on opposite side, and is actually not bad.

Where are you seeing water?

and you should not have leaves in summer..... jus sayen 

I'll get the interior pic tomorrow with better light, just the flash on my phone sucks. 

Those leaves have blown over from the acre of woods behind me that I own. Old owners would just blow all the leaves there, I have mountains of leaves I need to get rid of while I keep cutting trees down.

17 hours ago, EWC88 said:

I'll get the interior pic tomorrow with better light, just the flash on my phone sucks. 

Those leaves have blown over from the acre of woods behind me that I own. Old owners would just blow all the leaves there, I have mountains of leaves I need to get rid of while I keep cutting trees down.

Purchase or build a composter. That's some good biomass 

35 minutes ago, EWC88 said:

I'll try the clay soil option then layer with more rock...fingers crossed with this

From first pick, you got like 8" to build up and  pitch away( slope). Idk if it's 80% or so, but most water sheds via surface.

also, rocks don't shed  or absorb water, get that out of your head.  

• Like 1

Not much youll be able to do to seal the block. Definitely work on grading the whole area away from the door, as previously stated by someone else. That may well be enough.

Rocks are useless; only good to prevent errosion if anything. 

Yes when you open doors (from outside) you step in and go on the first wooden board of the step. 

Lol hey I hope that is all of what is wrong, got a deal on the house because people passed away (young age sadly) and the brother who inherited it lived in Buffalo NY and just wanted it gone.