charleslee

NFL players disrespecting the flag

I don’t think this could have been said any better and it definitely is about time someone said it.  Hopefully, 

this will go out over EVERY computer in the U.S. and maybe, just maybe, these sports people will get the 

message of just how ridiculous they are to disrespect our flag, and how little what they do in sports compare 

to what our great military has done for this country..

NFL protesting the flag

POWERFUL!!

Ret. Marine Col. Jeffery Powers wrote to the NFL 

commissioners the following:

Commissioners, I’ve been a season pass holder at Yankee Stadium, Yale Bowl and the Giants Stadium. 

I missed the ’90-’91 season because I was with a battalion of Marines in Desert Storm. 14 of my wonderful Marines returned home with the American Flag draped across their lifeless bodies. My last conversation with one of them, Sgt. Garrett Mongrella was about how our Giants were going to the Super Bowl. He never got to see it.

Many friends, Marines, and Special Forces Soldiers who worked with or for me through the years returned home with the American Flag draped over their coffins.

Now I watch multi-millionaire athletes who never did anything in their lives but play a game, disrespect what brave Americans fought and died for. They are essentially spitting in the faces and on the graves of real men, men who have actually done something for this country besides playing with a ball and believing they’re something special! They’re not! My Marines and Soldiers were!

You are complicit in this! You’ll fine players for large and small infractions but you lack the moral courage and respect for our nation and the fallen to put an immediate stop to this. Yes, I know, it’s their 1st Amendment right to behave in such a despicable manner.

What would happen if they came out and disrespected you or the refs publicly?

I observed a player getting a personal foul for twerking in the end zone after scoring. I guess that’s much worse than disrespecting the flag and our National  Anthem. Hmmmmm, isn’t it his 1st Amendment right to express himself like an idiot in the end zone?

Why is taunting not allowed yet taunting America is OK? You fine players for wearing 9-11 commemorative shoes yet you allow scum on the sidelines to sit, kneel or pump their pathetic fist in the air. They are so deprived with their multi-million dollar contracts for playing a freaking game!

You condone it all by your refusal to act. You’re just as bad and disgusting as they are. I hope Americans boycott any sponsor who supports that rabble you call the NFL. I hope they turn off the TV when any team that allowed this disrespect to occur, without consequence, on the sidelines. I applaud those who have not. These players should be fined and never play football again on any team.

Legends and heroes do NOT wear shoulder pads. They wear body armor and carry rifles

They make minimum wage and spend months and years away from their families. They don’t do it for an hour on Sunday. They do it 24/7 often with lead, not footballs, coming in their direction. They watch their brothers carted off in pieces not on a gurney to get their knee iced. They don’t even have ice! Many don’t have legs or arms.

Some wear blue and risk their lives daily on the streets of America. They wear fire helmets and go upstairs into the fire rather than down to safety. On 9-11, hundreds vanished. They are the heroes.

I hope that your high paid protesting pretty boys and you look in that mirror when you shave tomorrow and see what you really are, legends in your own minds. You need to hit the road and take those worms with you!

Time to change the channel.

Powers originally sent his letter to former Florida congressman Allen West. West then posted the letter on his news website.

As of last week, at least 18 NFL player had protested the anthem by either kneeling during the anthem or raising their fists, according to USA Today Sports. 

If you agree with what he said please pass this on. 

• Like 9

1 minute ago, matty said:

Haven't watched since last September, won't be again. Could not care less.

You and a lot of other people! Owners tried to blame it on everything EXCEPT THE OBVIOUS: viewers were getting disgusted with all the spoiled brat political grandstanding. But recent poll shows that's EXACTLY the top reason why they're losing viewers. I predict that will continue to slide downhill this year. .. because it doesn't look like the NFL has learned its lesson quite yet.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mrs. Peel said:

You and a lot of other people! Owners tried to blame it on everything EXCEPT THE OBVIOUS: viewers were getting disgusted with all the spoiled brat political grandstanding. But recent poll shows that's EXACTLY the top reason why they're losing viewers. I predict that will continue to slide downhill this year. .. because it doesn't look like the NFL has learned its lesson quite yet.

I don't think no viewership of the NFL is down because of political grandstanding. It's down because there is a commercial or other stoppage of play every 5 minutes. 

Didn't a few players get released when they tried this at the preseason game?

31 minutes ago, JackDaWack said:

"who never did anything in their lives but..."

So where is the bar that defines "anything"?  What does someone have to do with their life before their worthy of listening to on this topic?  Is what they players are doing any different from the protesters, counter-protesters, media, Hollywood, pundits, and everyone else who has a pulpit into the eyes and ears of the population?

you can argue they don't deserve the money they make. Many would agree. But what does that have to do with the above?

19 minutes ago, voyager9 said:

I don't think no viewership of the NFL is down because of political grandstanding. It's down because there is a commercial or other stoppage of play every 5 minutes. 

Didn't a few players get released when they tried this at the preseason game?

I'll try to find the survey... but they did one recently... and I do recall that the #1 reason was that viewers were turned off by the insertion of politics and what some interpret as anti-American displays into sports. Apparently, most viewers watch sports to relax.. not to get aggravated... who woulda thunk it? But, I do recall that all the commercial advertising was listed as reason #2 or 3. So, yeah, that seems to aggravate viewers also.

Edit/Update:

There's been several surveys actually. This article mentions one: http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/greg-cote/article112127422.html 

..... a Seton Hall survey where more than half of fans thought players not standing for the anthem was the biggest cause of the ratings drop.

And here's the biggest survey...the J.D. Power one which surveyed 9000+ fans: http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/20171611/national-anthem-protests-no-1-reason-viewers-tuned-nfl-games 

.... It showed that of those viewers that watched fewer games, most (26%) cited the politics around the anthem as their primary reason for falling away from watching.

So, it might not be HUGE overall percentages - but it's undoubtedly a factor in the ratings decline. People don't like to see millionaires acting bratty towards the country that gave them the opportunity to BE millionaires in the first place. I don't find that so hard to understand.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Mrs. Peel said:

I'll try to find the survey... but they did one recently... and I do recall that the #1 reason was that viewers were turned off by the insertion of politics and what some interpret as anti-American displays into sports. Apparently, most viewers watch sports to relax.. not to get aggravated... who woulda thunk it? But, I do recall that all the commercial advertising was listed as reason #2 or 3. So, yeah, that seems to aggravate viewers also.

You may be right. I think some of it was self-fulfilling though. The Networks didn't even show the National Anthem on TV unless it was a special game.  Should I be more upset at the person who I didn't see not stand then I am at the network for not showing it?  The Networks only started showing it, and talking endlessly about it after Kaeperputz did it. 

1 hour ago, voyager9 said:

You may be right. I think some of it was self-fulfilling though. The Networks didn't even show the National Anthem on TV unless it was a special game.  Should I be more upset at the person who I didn't see not stand then I am at the network for not showing it?  The Networks only started showing it, and talking endlessly about it after Kaeperputz did it. 

Don't worry, Kaepernick supporters are planning on boycotting by mid September. If he is still, unsigned.

espn and NFL can pound sand as far as I'm concerned 

• Like 1

Add that to this and forget it.

How can Col Powers well written statement have any impact after this?

When did the US become an insane asylum?

We are doomed....

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/nypd-cops-rally-support-colin-kaepernick-brooklyn-article-1.3425792?utm_content=bufferd50d0&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=NYDailyNewsTw

Frank Serpico, NYPD cops raise their fists, take a knee for team-less Colin Kaepernick at Brooklyn rally

Because Colin Kaepernick took a knee, these cops have his back.

Law enforcers past and present turned out Saturday in a show of support for the controversial NFL quarterback — whose public stance against racism and police violence preceded his current unemployment.

“What Colin Kaepernick did is try to bring awareness that this nation unfortunately has ignored for far too long,” said NYPD Sgt. Edwin Raymond, who helped organize the Brooklyn event.

“And that's the issue of racism in America and policing in America. We decided to gather here today because of the way he's being railroaded for speaking the obvious truth.”

Kaepernick, 29, finds himself without an NFL job so far this year after he began kneeling during the national anthem before games last season.

Supporters insist the quarterback was blackballed over his politics.

Dozens of NYPD officers joined Raymond in wearing black shirts with the logo “#ImWithKap.” City Council member Jumaane Williams opted for a red Kaepernick jersey.

Near the end of the rally, all involved raised their fists and took a synchronized knee in support of the one-time San Francisco starter.

Veteran quarterback Kaepernick remains unsigned after opting out of his contract with the 49ers, even after announcing he would stand for the anthem this year.

Current NFL players both black and white showed their backing of the polarizing player during exhibition games this year.

Philadelphia Eagles safety Malcolm Jenkins, an African-American, raised his fist during “The Star-Spangled Banner” last week as white teammate Chris Long stood with an arm wrapped around him.

The assembled police officers were joined by other Kaepernick backers just three weeks before the kickoff of the new NFL season.

“The fact that this man is no longer in the NFL has nothing to do with stats on the football field, but for taking a knee and pointing out some of the flaws that have been tormenting people of color in this country for decades,” said Darius Gordon of the Justice League NYC.

Speaker Stanley Fritz of Citizen Action of New York echoed the suggestion that Kaepernick was barred over his politics.

“Colin took a knee because so many black and brown bodies have seen violence put against them with no repercussions,” said Fritz.

“And because of that, despite of his obvious ability to play on the field, he's being blocked from joining a team.”

Legendary NYPD whistleblower Frank Serpico returned to his native borough to add his voice in backing Kaepernick.

“I am here to support anyone who has the courage to stand up against injustice and oppression anywhere in this country and the world,” said the 81-year-old former detective.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, charleslee said:

I don’t think this could have been said any better and it definitely is about time someone said it.  Hopefully, 

this will go out over EVERY computer in the U.S. and maybe, just maybe, these sports people will get the 

message of just how ridiculous they are to disrespect our flag, and how little what they do in sports compare 

to what our great military has done for this country..

NFL protesting the flag

POWERFUL!!

Ret. Marine Col. Jeffery Powers wrote to the NFL 

commissioners the following:

Commissioners, I’ve been a season pass holder at Yankee Stadium, Yale Bowl and the Giants Stadium. 

I missed the ’90-’91 season because I was with a battalion of Marines in Desert Storm. 14 of my wonderful Marines returned home with the American Flag draped across their lifeless bodies. My last conversation with one of them, Sgt. Garrett Mongrella was about how our Giants were going to the Super Bowl. He never got to see it.

Many friends, Marines, and Special Forces Soldiers who worked with or for me through the years returned home with the American Flag draped over their coffins.

Now I watch multi-millionaire athletes who never did anything in their lives but play a game, disrespect what brave Americans fought and died for. They are essentially spitting in the faces and on the graves of real men, men who have actually done something for this country besides playing with a ball and believing they’re something special! They’re not! My Marines and Soldiers were!

You are complicit in this! You’ll fine players for large and small infractions but you lack the moral courage and respect for our nation and the fallen to put an immediate stop to this. Yes, I know, it’s their 1st Amendment right to behave in such a despicable manner.

What would happen if they came out and disrespected you or the refs publicly?

I observed a player getting a personal foul for twerking in the end zone after scoring. I guess that’s much worse than disrespecting the flag and our National  Anthem. Hmmmmm, isn’t it his 1st Amendment right to express himself like an idiot in the end zone?

Why is taunting not allowed yet taunting America is OK? You fine players for wearing 9-11 commemorative shoes yet you allow scum on the sidelines to sit, kneel or pump their pathetic fist in the air. They are so deprived with their multi-million dollar contracts for playing a freaking game!

You condone it all by your refusal to act. You’re just as bad and disgusting as they are. I hope Americans boycott any sponsor who supports that rabble you call the NFL. I hope they turn off the TV when any team that allowed this disrespect to occur, without consequence, on the sidelines. I applaud those who have not. These players should be fined and never play football again on any team.

Legends and heroes do NOT wear shoulder pads. They wear body armor and carry rifles

They make minimum wage and spend months and years away from their families. They don’t do it for an hour on Sunday. They do it 24/7 often with lead, not footballs, coming in their direction. They watch their brothers carted off in pieces not on a gurney to get their knee iced. They don’t even have ice! Many don’t have legs or arms.

Some wear blue and risk their lives daily on the streets of America. They wear fire helmets and go upstairs into the fire rather than down to safety. On 9-11, hundreds vanished. They are the heroes.

I hope that your high paid protesting pretty boys and you look in that mirror when you shave tomorrow and see what you really are, legends in your own minds. You need to hit the road and take those worms with you!

Time to change the channel.

Powers originally sent his letter to former Florida congressman Allen West. West then posted the letter on his news website.

As of last week, at least 18 NFL player had protested the anthem by either kneeling during the anthem or raising their fists, according to USA Today Sports. 

If you agree with what he said please pass this on. 

The room got a little smoky reading that. 

Col. Powers is spot on. 

While it sickens, and saddens me to see the behavior of these special snowflakes towards my country, flag, and national anthem, I have to tell myself that it IS their 1st amendment rights to do so. My brothers, and sisters in arms sacrificed immensely so that the snowflakes continue to have the right to act like assholes. I don't approve of their actions and words, but I respect their right to express them. That's what freedom is all about. 

I am a HUGE Cowboys fan, but I don't think I'll be watching, or attending any NFL games this year. I can express my distaste for they way that the 1% of the NFL behaves by not giving them my money. 

The players who disrespect this country disrespect my fellow soldiers, sailors, and airmen who have made so many personal sacrifices, including their lives. The players (and many others in this country) would do well to reflect upon WHY they have the freedoms they enjoy today, and are able to make the money they do. 

• Like 3

Thank you Col Powers.  I knew Sgt Mongrella.  I attended his funeral.  These overpaid self-important assholes can kiss my left nut.   The NFL will never see a dime from me while they tolerate this crap.   

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Displaced Texan said:

The room got a little smoky reading that. 

Col. Powers is spot on. 

While it sickens, and saddens me to see the behavior of these special snowflakes towards my country, flag, and national anthem, I have to tell myself that it IS their 1st amendment rights to do so. My brothers, and sisters in arms sacrificed immensely so that the snowflakes continue to have the right to act like assholes. I don't approve of their actions and words, but I respect their right to express them. That's what freedom is all about. 

I am a HUGE Cowboys fan, but I don't think I'll be watching, or attending any NFL games this year. I can express my distaste for they way that the 1% of the NFL behaves by not giving them my money. 

The players who disrespect this country disrespect my fellow soldiers, sailors, and airmen who have made so many personal sacrifices, including their lives. The players (and many others in this country) would do well to reflect upon WHY they have the freedoms they enjoy today, and are able to make the money they do. 

3 minutes ago, mustang69 said:

Thank you Col Powers.  I knew Sgt Mongrella.  I attended his funeral.  These overpaid self-important assholes can kiss my left nut.   The NFL will never see a dime from me while they tolerate this crap.   

Might I suggest...? Withholding your viewing time and your dollars is your right (after all, Kap and other players are free to protest and express their opinions... but so are YOU!). That said, I think you should make sure your protest is not a silent one. Simply sending an email or a hardcopy letter to your team's owners and the NFL mgmt, telling them that you'll no longer be watching and why, would be much more impactful!  Power of the pen, baby! Don't underestimate it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, High Exposure said:

This is why I think the majority of cops will go along with confiscation under the likely upcoming Murphy regime. A lot is motivated by Revenge against so called oppressors and a desire to lord over those Trump and Christie supporting scum. There may be a few that will not  do it or find some way to avoid doing it, but things are coming rapidly to a head where individual members of police forces will have to choose a side.

Add that to this and forget it.

How can Col Powers well written statement have any impact after this?

When did the US become an insane asylum?

We are doomed....

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/nypd-cops-rally-support-colin-kaepernick-brooklyn-article-1.3425792?utm_content=bufferd50d0&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=NYDailyNewsTw

Have you lost it? Revenge? Seriously?

NJ Cops fucking hate Christy and we love Trump. I don't know a cop that feels different.

If you think the cops on the street aren't pissed about all this shit for the same reasons you are, you need to seriously think again.

As for this particular incident - NYPD is so large you could find more Cops there that have seen UFOs than the number that attended this rally.

Reality - It's a non issue

In Liberal-land - It's proof that CK was right and cops support him.

16 minutes ago, High Exposure said:

NJ Cops fucking hate Christy and we love Trump. I don't know a cop that feels different.

If you think the cops on the street aren't pissed about all this shit for the same reasons you are, you need to seriously think again.

As for this particular incident - NYPD is so large you could find more Cops there that have seen UFOs than the number that attended this rally.

Honestly, until these forums, I hardly knew ANY cops...but common sense tells me that if I (just a regular citizen) have been offended by the Democrats wholesale buy-in to the Michael Brown farce and similar cases, that cops would certainly be EVEN MORE offended!

Out of probably MILLIONS of police/citizen encounters every year --- BLM has taken the statistically tiny handful of cases where innocent (and in some cases not-so-innocent) black men have been killed --- and pimped out that story to an extraordinary degree of prevarication, with a compliant MSM and far-left progressives (like DiBlasio, etc.) cheering them on. Meanwhile, the same crowd had a far more muted response to police assassinations. I would think that makes the typical LEO want to puke, frankly. I'm only GUESSING that, but I would think @High Exposure would have a far better sense for that than most of us... being a member of that community. I think cops will vote in droves against Democrats. Because Democrats today are NOT the Democrats of yesteryear. They are trying to cobble together as many special interest groups as they can to get in office... and if they need to throw OTHER groups (like cops, for instance) under the bus, they'll do it in a heartbeat. 

22 minutes ago, High Exposure said:

With Christie gone, public employee unions, including cops, will be bent on revenge against those that supported him against the unions. Lawful gun owners are one of those groups. All this foofraw with supposed racism is battlespace prep for when Dems get back in the governor's seat in NJ, or in power elsewhere. You may be one of the few, but when the new AG (think Zulima Farber, but less competent and more radical) issues new guidance interpreting the awb to include any and all ar or ak types to be illegal, and to confiscate them, the vast majority  of cops will do so to protect their own interests. There will of course be an exception for cops. And when xhe decides that membership in the NRA is a disqualifying characteristic for issuance of an fpid and reason enough for a court order to confiscate, the majority of cops will again go along. Make no mistake, NJ Democrats and their public employee union goons are slavering with the thought of Revenge on anyone that supports or supported Trump publicly, to assuage their humiliation at Hillary's defeat. Look at what happened in Charlottesville and before that Berkeley.  Police told to stand down. Some supposedly whispering they were opposed to doing so, but went ahead and followed orders

1 hour ago, High Exposure said:

Agreed 

I've yet to meet a cop who did NOT vote Trump, and if they didn't they keep quiet for fear of showing their stupidity.

As far as Surpico, great movie.  But I'm sure he is doing all this for attention.

5 hours ago, High Exposure said:

Wow.....

Ok. I'm out of this thread.

Good luck Matty.

Good luck to YOU, you will need it far more than me to deal with the new AG's directives and offense against cops at the bidding of BLM.  I am outta here next year, and will hopefully not be dealing with much, if any, of the Revenge Of the Liberals in NJ. 

I do not attend, nor do I watch football games, so I have no direct influence on the NFL. What I have done is wrote to:

1. Pepsi (maker of Gatorade) and told them I will now be drinking PowerAde (made by Coke) instead.

2. Visa and told them I will now be using Discover card.

3.Campbell's and said I will now be buying Progresso.

4. FedEx and said all my shipping needs will be handled by UPS or the post office.

Maybe if enough people who are fed up with this BS did the same, the sports stars(?) singers and actors will change.

As was said in a song from the 60's  "Money doesn't talk it screams"

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nickjc said:

Frankly let's look at this perspective -

Are we any better by attempting to force someone do do something that they do not agree with, than the blm antifa groups etc, when we discuss those that do not want to stand for or respect the flag anthem etc?

Last I checked that the right of protest, and free speech are still part of the usconn.....

I totally disagree what they are doing, and do not share their sentiment, but they have every right to do so - as we have every right to castigate them for doing so.

they have the right to protest in that way. not on the publics dime(such as when they're at a game). if they do choose to do so...they also have a right to suffer the consequences.

1 hour ago, bdhszy1 said:

I do not attend, nor do I watch football games, so I have no direct influence on the NFL. What I have done is wrote to:

1. Pepsi (maker of Gatorade) and told them I will now be drinking PowerAde (made by Coke) instead.

2. Visa and told them I will now be using Discover card.

3.Campbell's and said I will now be buying Progresso.

4. FedEx and said all my shipping needs will be handled by UPS or the post office.

Maybe if enough people who are fed up with this BS did the same, the sports stars(?) singers and actors will change.

As was said in a song from the 60's  "Money doesn't talk it screams"

if i'm not mistaken, i think that ups and fedex work together sometimes now. the way things are going, i'd expect one to buy the other within the next couple years.......

If I protested at my employer, and my employer did nothing, it's fair to believe my employer endorsed what I was doing.

I fully support the right of these assholes to protest ON THEIR OWN TIME.  At a game they're on the NFL's time - their employer.  That the NFL and the teams allows it is a show of support.  Others have already given examples of behavior the NFL won't tolerate.  Why those and not this?

The right to protest is absolute, but it doesn't mean you won't face any consequences of that protest.

Without football these clowns would be nothing.  If they hate the US so much let them go play it anywhere else.  Lotsa luck...

• Like 2

If there's anything I learned from AOL Chain e-mails, it's that retired Marine Corps officers spend an awful lot of time writing chain letters :lol: How come they're never from the Army? Air Force? Navy? Wouldn't someone in the National Guard have more free time to write these? 

Serious, go on Snopes. Every single one of these things is written by a "retired Marine Corps _____" for the last 25 years :lol:

• Like 1