223lover

ANY MERWIN BUFFS OUT THERE?

I have a Merwin Hopkins & Allen revolver in great condition that needs some work. The cylinder stop or the spring doesn't allow the cylinder to lock up. The timing is good but it won't lock into battery. I don't know if it is worth getting it fixed or not. It's not like there are parts for it laying around. It is inscribed William J Pardee, who taught tactics at Brown University. I have provenance from Brown to back it up. He also taught at West Point. Caliber is Winchester 1873. Any information by antique arms enthusiasts would be greatly appreciated.  

Worth getting it fixed? You know the gun has value and I would definitely have it repaired by a competent  gunsmith! It would be worth your while to find a gunsmith who is familiar with the gun and ship it to him fix it. The value could be be greatly diminished  by a crappy job!

On the other hand, if you do not want to shoot it or sell it. Leave it alone.

Thanks Johnny B. What I meant was, if the gun is only worth say $500, and a gunsmith charges me $350, (judging that cost me $150 just to have the muzzle brake changed and welded on my AR), putting the Merwin it into firing condition may not be worth it. It's been in my family for 2 generations, but I have no one to leave it to,as I'm getting into  my 70's. It's in great shape but it has to be sold.

On 8/20/2017 at 5:36 PM, 223lover said:

I have a Merwin Hopkins & Allen revolver in great condition that needs some work. The cylinder stop or the spring doesn't allow the cylinder to lock up. The timing is good but it won't lock into battery. I don't know if it is worth getting it fixed or not. It's not like there are parts for it laying around. It is inscribed William J Pardee, who taught tactics at Brown University. I have provenance from Brown to back it up. He also taught at West Point. Caliber is Winchester 1873. Any information by antique arms enthusiasts would be greatly appreciated.  

probably worth money as a parts gun to somebody.

Winchester 1873 is 44.40

I got a New Army with skull crusher grip.

You got a photo to share?

36 minutes ago, 223lover said:

20170504_203017.thumb.jpg.9f314a2fe596be71b30b6de2dde9f638.jpg

VERY NICE!!!!

Could be a $2k or more to somebody.  Appears to be double action, if it was single action I'd buy it.

Sounds like from what your saying, is that the bolt isn't engaging the notch, which is a problem.  But your are correcting assuming there are no gunsmiths for these guns, and there really isn't.  But you can contact Bill English at The Smith Shop, as he has experience getting these old guns running.  If he can't help, he might be able to point you down the right path.  

http://www.thesmithshop.com/aboutus.html

On a side note, if all the numbers match (serial number was stamped on various parts) it will have a higher value.  My New Army numbers don't match.  From what I've read about Merwin Hulberts is that after the fire burned their factory down, to help calm the sting of bankruptcy, they assembled guns together out of parts they had on hand, and manufactured no more.  Since there are no records, collectors tend to use this as a reference point on when models would have been made available.

I can't manage to get the pictures right side up. Thanks so much for the reply. I will contact that smith you wrote about. I even found a place to get parts. Yes all numbers match. I don't want to take any screws out for fear if striping them. Original grips show wear from being handled by a right handed person. Barrel is good.Action is great but won't lock in battery. Double action. Probably will fix it and sell it.  The holster rotted away decades ago. My brother had a email from a guy who wrote a book on H &A pistols, and he considered 95 % complete. I think a little less now. Again thanks for the input.

20170504_203200.jpg

• Like 1

One last thing, DO NOT USE SMOKELESS is this gun if you get it working.  Real black or black substitute like APP only...........don't need to blow up that gun and wreck your day.

I use APP 2f in mine, real black gets in every knook and cranny, and APP cleans up easier.  As I'm sure you've noticed, this revolver is over engineered for what it is, and it can be a drag cleaning.