xmetalfan99

Making ar NJ Compliant

Hello,

I may be moving to NJ from WV in the next year and am determing what I need to do to ensure my ar is complaint with NJ state laws.  From my understanding, I need to install a fixed stock on my lower, but am unsure what else needs to be completed.  I run a stock daniel defense ddm4v11 16" upper and a magpul pistol grip.  What do I need to do to complete this process?  Sadly, I will also need to purchase new magazines.

Thank you in advance.

Welcome to the forum.  You don't have a bayonet lug so that's good. If it has a flash suppressor, which it probably does, it will have to be replaced with a muzzle brake. The brake will have to be pinned and welded or just welded so that it's permanent. You don't need to replace the adjustable stock, just drill a hole and insert a pin so it is not adjustable. Lastly, Loose the 30 round mags. here in the PRNJ (Peoples Republic of New Jersey), We can not have any magazine capable of holding more than 15 rounds. Make sure the lower does NOT read Colt AR-15.

Are you sure you still want to move here?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JohnnyB said:

Welcome to the forum.  You don't have a bayonet lug so that's good. If it has a flash suppressor, which it probably does, it will have to be replaced with a muzzle brake. The brake will have to be pinned and welded or just welded so that it's permanent. You don't need to replace the adjustable stock, just drill a hole and insert a pin so it is not adjustable. Lastly, Loose the 30 round mags. here in the PRNJ (Peoples Republic of New Jersey, We can not have any magazine capable of holding more than 15 rounds.

Are you sure you want to move here?

Thank you for this information.   I'm not a fan of the move, but my elderly parents live in NJ and it's easier to care for them if I'm closer.  At least I can keep my ksg and all of my pistols.  The ar is my baby and I don't want to part with it.  I've been wanting a muzzle break, so pinning and welding isn't that big of a deal to me.

I spent the last few days reading the laws, but they created more questions than they answered.  

Welcome to the forum. The stock doesn't have to be a fixed one but can be an adjustable one that's pinned if possible and as you already know a pinned muzzle brake. You should be good to go. Which township are you planning on settling in? Depending on where you are maybe one of the FFLs can help you make your stuff compliant if you are not going to do it yourself. 

In NJ it is virtually mandatory to attach the loudest most obnoxious brake you can find.  Bonus points if it can knock objects off the tables to your left and right at the range.  You will make many friends that way.  If you want to be a total wuss you can get a linear compensator that directs muzzle blast downrange.  The most pathetic of all is a $2 thread protector.  If the 3# of recoil energy is just too much for you, then yes, you definitely need a muzzle brake.

Just to be clear.  The purpose of a brake is to mitigate recoil.  A compensator is to mitigate muzzle rise.  Most muzzle devices are a hybrid of the two features.

• Like 1

Just now, xmetalfan99 said:

Thank you for this information.   I'm not a fan of the move, but my elderly parents live in NJ and it's easier to care for them if I'm closer.  At least I can keep my ksg and all of my pistols.  The ar is my baby and I don't want to part with it.  I've been wanting a muzzle break, so pinning and welding isn't that big of a deal to me.

I spent the last few days reading the laws, but they created more questions than they answered.  

PRNJ gun laws are written backwards to confuse us all! Instead of saying guns are legal to have and here are the things you can't do with them. Jersey law states guns are illegal, unless you fall into the exemptions listed below.

Best to do a search on this forum as everything you could want to know has already been discussed here ad nauseam. 

If you can't find the answer, ask here.

1 minute ago, My1stGlock said:

Welcome to the forum. The stock doesn't have to be a fixed one but can be an adjustable one that's pinned if possible and as you already know a pinned muzzle brake. You should be good to go. Which township are you planning on settling in? Depending on where you are maybe one of the FFLs can help you make your stuff compliant if you are not going to do it yourself. 

I'll probably be near haddon township.

5 minutes ago, Scorpio64 said:

In NJ it is virtually mandatory to attach the loudest most obnoxious brake you can find.  Bonus points if it can knock objects off the tables to your left and right at the range.  You will make many friends that way.  If you want to be a total wuss you can get a linear compensator that directs muzzle blast downrange.  The most pathetic of all is a $2 thread protector.  If the 3# of recoil energy is just too much for you, then yes, you definitely need a muzzle brake.

Just to be clear.  The purpose of a brake is to mitigate recoil.  A compensator is to mitigate muzzle rise.  Most muzzle devices are a hybrid of the two features.

Are there any concerns with the legality of the hybrids?

59 minutes ago, xmetalfan99 said:

Are there any concerns with the legality of the hybrids?

nope.  the only thing that is illegal is a flash hider. A2 style, three or four prong style are the most common flash hiders but if a product indicates flash hider properties, it's probably illegal.

Bear in mind that a year from now, if Murphy is elected Governor, which seems to be a foregone conclusion at this point, all of these rules are out the window once he enacts whatever the legislature hands him, and we are under, best case scenario, NY SAFE ACT type regime, if not something worse.

So if you like your AR a lot the way it is set up now, you might want to just leave your AR with a friend in WV and get something cheap in NJ that you don't feel bad removing features from.  Google "featureless AR" for what people in California are having to do to their guns to make them legal in California.

1 hour ago, xmetalfan99 said:

Same happened to me when I moved here. I still don't really understand some of the rules. If you ask law enforcement, you will get 10 different answers. I burn up the search feature on this forum. 

And welcome!

1 hour ago, Scorpio64 said:

Seriously, I can no longer understand the obsession with muzzle brakes. They literally do nothing on a .223 semi-auto. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mossburger said:

Seriously, I can no longer understand the obsession with muzzle brakes. They literally do nothing on a .223 semi-auto. 

That is not strictly true.  In spite of my disdain for brakes, they do have a legit purpose in competition.  Even the muzzle device manufacturers are recognizing the annoyances they cause and are now offering add-ons to direct blast downrange like a linear comp.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Barms said:

Always ask your questions here.  Never call the PD to get answers 

Good advise.  Even if you do choose to call them for some reason you'll find you'll get a different answer with each call.  I find they don't know any more than we do.

On 8/20/2017 at 11:39 PM, Scorpio64 said:

That is not strictly true.  In spite of my disdain for brakes, they do have a legit purpose in competition.  Even the muzzle device manufacturers are recognizing the annoyances they cause and are now offering add-ons to direct blast downrange like a linear comp.

Let me ask this - if you take a .223 rifle (SA or Bolt - doesn't matter) and you have a barrel with no muzzle devise of any kind

on the end, when shot all the gas goes downrange. Now you add a Linear compensator to the same rifle and it's claim to fame is sending all the gas downrange - isn't that basically the same as the bare barrel...........???

4 hours ago, JT Custom Guns said:

Let me ask this - if you take a .223 rifle (SA or Bolt - doesn't matter) and you have a barrel with no muzzle devise of any kind

on the end, when shot all the gas goes downrange. Now you add a Linear compensator to the same rifle and it's claim to

fame is sending all the gas downrange - isn't that basically the same as the bare barrel...........???

Nein comrade.  A bare muzzle will allow more gasses to escape in a fatter 360 degree pattern, (basically a wider muzzle blast)  because the hot gasses are still expanding, while a linear comp is concave or recessed with a wall and ported to direct more gas upwards and forward thus causing a bias which will push the barrel down and direct more of the muzzle blast in one direction, down range. Kinda like a nozzle.

A compensators main purpose in life is to mitigate muzzle rise.  A linear comp does that but is also engineered to focus the rest of the blast in a linear geometry.    A little known fact is that the original three pronged A1 muzzle device and the A2  birdcage are primarily designed to be compensators and were identified as such in the original mil-spec.  They were not called flash hiders.  Everyone calls 'em flash hiders because it sounds like something stealthy that dems feel the need to ban.  The flash hider aspect of the device was a secondary, but important design feature.  The bottom of an A2 birdcage is not slotted, this forces more gasses upwards and also reduces dust signature.  While the sides and top of the A2 are open, the gasses are not compressed when exiting.  Compare that to BCM's Mod-0  A2 style comp/brake which has an exit aperture just slightly larger than 5.56 mm that forces all the gasses out the sides.

In my opinion, the A2 Birdcage is the nearly ideal muzzle device.  It was very thoroughly thought out.  Mitigates muzzle rise, reduces dust signature when shooting prone and distributes non compressed gasses (the fat fireball) to lower flash signature.

Another example of compensation can be found in magnum handguns that are ported.  You will see that the vents are only on top to control muzzle flip.  Unfortunately, with a 357 or 44 magnum, you will still get a hella lot a fireball.  But at least you can still stay on target.

H_porting.jpg

On 8/20/2017 at 9:02 PM, xmetalfan99 said:

Hello,

I may be moving to NJ from WV in the next year and am determing what I need to do to ensure my ar is complaint with NJ state laws.  From my understanding, I need to install a fixed stock on my lower, but am unsure what else needs to be completed.  I run a stock daniel defense ddm4v11 16" upper and a magpul pistol grip.  What do I need to do to complete this process?  Sadly, I will also need to purchase new magazines.

Thank you in advance.

Might be a little late but.....

If you plan it out, you can drill one hole in the stock toward the front, then drill holes at each adjustment notch in the buffer tube. Then just use a punch to remove the pin if you want to move the stock, then reinsert the pin.