bhunted

Hornady Rapid AR Wall Locks

Last week HE mentioned the Hornady and another brand locking system. I was already planing to get something for quite awhile. So I bought 2 systems. One of which, the one from Hornady.

I'm bringing this up to inform people about a prob I had with it and something Rick may not have been affected by.

First, It's a great system put out by a great company. IF you are the one that has your stock pinned all the way in, you have a problem. It won't work. These were most likely designed for people not stuck in NJ.

With the stock pinned in the shortest or second position with a Magpul stock for instance, it won't close. I had to re-pin my stock out further.

Also, so you know. It requires you to lock the bolt back, ejector door open, no round. There is a tab for lack of a better word that sits inside. They advertise you can keep a 30 round mag in side. Once adjusted, everything falls into place. My only recommendation is if you leave a loaded mag in and bolt is locked back, realize that if you deploy the rifle, if by accident the bolt closes, a round will be chambered. If purposely closing bolt when deployed, is an advantage. Make sure safety is on when stored! If you are not aware, forget or accidentally chamber a round, you stand a chance your rifle will go off. So keep your snot picker away from the trigger as normally you should also. I also recommend practice deploying it.

On another note, a good one, Hornady, as of Jan 1, 2017 till the end of the year is offering a free box of Critical Defense, pistol ammo, caliber of your choice. A $30 value. Just fill out form properly and send a check for delivery of $5.95 and viola.

So if you got one of their licks or safes this year, you may qualify. You will need the UPC code from the box too. If you tossed it, no good.

Have fun....

Link to form and info:

https://www.hornady.com/corporate/promotions/safe-and-secure-2017

PS: They don't request it but beings things are crazy with shipping pistol ammo, I mailed a copy of my FID card too. Couldn't hurt and nay help expedite the deal,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John,

We can't get the ammo!

"Customers in Alaska and Hawaii are eligible to receive a free Hornady soft pistol case in place of the ammo. Customers in Connecticut, Massachusetts, Illinois, New Jersey, and New York are not eligible, due to state law, but are eligible to receive a free Hornady soft pistol case in place of the ammo."

How about a nice soft pistol case instead? I went to buy one and this pissed me off so I did not pull the trigger!

• Like 1

I see that on the page now. The form I had did not mention NJ....

Too late, sent it in. Most I lose is a stamp. Guess I'm the guinea pig.

We shall see.

PS: They can keep soft case. I have no use for them.

Pisses me off too because you can buy pistol ammo online most of the time.
Sig does the same crap. Wanted to try their new defense ammo and same bs.

Anyway, if you get the safe on Sale for $20 or so, just buy the ammo whichever way you normally would. [emoji6]Same thing.

Don't forget about the stock issue.

Good info John.

The rifle I keep in there has a Magpul Fixed carbine stock installed. It works fine. I never run a fully collapsed stock so I never would have even thought about that. Side note - I have a 15/20 in there as it sits but a USGI 30 rounder with Magpul Ranger Plate will fit.

I like the ejection port lug. Just keep the rifle on safe and the bolt locked back with a loaded mag in the well. Even if the bolt goes home the rifle is still on safe, and you follow the commonly accepted firearms safety rules - you are good to go.

• Like 1

Is the purpose of the lug load-bearing?  Take the weight of the rifle off the hand guard and buffer tube maybe?  Assuming the rifle would rest on those two points with the doors closed without it.   Or is it a safety feature so the rifle can't be left in battery?

i usually keep mine with the bolt locked back and a loaded bag. Safety on.  Did cause me to squirm once when I hit the bolt release on something else in the safe. 

The rifle is held vertically in the clam shell of the safe. The lug holds the weight of the rifle secured and keeps it from slipping/sliding down out of the safe even with the door open.

I don't know if storing ARs in a regular safe with a loaded mag and bolt locked to the rear is the best choice without some kind of chamber flag or lug to keep the bolt open until you want it to go home. Too many chances for Murphy to get involved. 

A full mag on a closed bolt with the safety on is the way to go if you want to keep mags in the guns in the safe.

Keep in mind, this particular safe isn't for storage - its to keep a rifle ready for HD. Bump in the night - open safe, pull rifle, smack bolt release - good to go. In this instance, bolt to the rear, loaded mag makes sense - but there is still a lug to ensure the bolt doesn't go into battery until you want it to. 

• Like 1

Lug! That's the word for it! [emoji106]
Yes, leave safety on. Can't believe I forgot to mention that. (Fixed it)...
Happens when I'm struggling to stay awake. [emoji16][emoji42]

Anyone got pics for example?

Pics of?

John,
We can't get the ammo!
"Customers in Alaska and Hawaii are eligible to receive a free Hornady soft pistol case in place of the ammo. Customers in Connecticut, Massachusetts, Illinois, New Jersey, and New York are not eligible, due to state law, but are eligible to receive a free Hornady soft pistol case in place of the ammo."
How about a nice soft pistol case instead? I went to buy one and this pissed me off so I did not pull the trigger!
I had an email exchange with Hornady a couple of months ago. I persisted and they finally admitted that shipping the ammo to NJ is legal if you give them a copy of your FPID. They said they would update the instructions, but I guess they didn't do that.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I had an email exchange with Hornady a couple of months ago. I persisted and they finally admitted that shipping the ammo to NJ is legal if you give them a copy of your FPID. They said they would update the instructions, but I guess they didn't do that.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

That is good. Guess I bet them to the punch. Good on them.

As for updates, Johnny noticed it said no NJ and the form I downloaded didn't mention NJ. Maybe lack of comms on their part.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Glad to hear you got the ammo after all! Did you have to send a FPID copy to them?

I did that when I submitted it out of force of habit. Most places want the FID for pistol ammo so I just send it. I keep a copy in my weapons file on my 'puter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro