TRM9999

Springfield XD Mod 3 Suddenly shooting 6+ low

Hi. Friend bought this gun (XD Mod 2 4" 9mm) just a few weeks ago. Semi newbie shooter as well. First couple of outings at the 10yd target and he is learning how to shoot it, breath, trigger pull, etc. We even tried at the 25 yards. He was learning but could get some rounds close. I could hit the black most of the time using normal alignment of the sights. So all is well and he is learning. 
So we go today and he is missing the entire 12in square target at the 15yds, so we move it up to the 10yds. I can see he is jerking a bit and tell him to keep trying but doesn't hit the paper. So I try it and what the heck, not even on the paper. I shoot down and nothing, then I go up and score. After several tries I realize its shooting 6 inches low. I basically had to aim at the top of the paper to get near the center. He tries it shooting high and now he is on the paper. What. I'm getting confused?

So I take it apart, which is an interesting task of keeping the grip safety in and pulling the trigger to release the slide. The Spring was in place, barrel seemed to sit ok. Took them out and wiped off, wiped of the carbon from the lower and put it back together then let him fire several times. No luck. I tried again and had to shoot 6in higher to hit the center at 10 yards. He tried it high and at least hit the paper now. We stopped for now. Obviously something is not right. 

What in the would made the gun shoot so far off all of sudden. Was it us, or mechanical? I mean you can't move the sites up and down. We used different ammo brands but the same results. The barrel looked like it came up into proper alignment when the slide closed? I would have played more but he needed to go. 

3 things I can think of are:

1. clean the barrel with lead and copper remover, maybe you have some buildup in there. It doesn't take a lot to screw up the accuracy.

2. Check this make sure the sights are tight. I know they are fixed sights but if the front is wobbly or something it might be throwing you off.

3. Try some different ammo. I have had different ammo shoot crazy high or low, depending on the batch, especially with cheaper ammo or bought reloads. Could also be a brand/type of ammo thing. I was shooting polycase interceptors last night and they shot 4" lower then Herters FMJ at 25 yards. 

I've only shot an XDm so maybe others with more experience with that particular model will have more ideas.

Good luck with it.

-Jim

• Like 1

I don't know what the problem is - but I am pretty sure that a "dirty barrel" - it can't be that dirty after only a few weeks of ownership -  won't create a 6" change in POI.

I have thousands of rounds through my Glocks. I have never done more than run a boresnake through the barrel and I have never seen an overnight change in accuracy as what is being reported.

First guess is something is wrong with the sights.

Second guess is Ammo related.

Third is something happened to the barrel.

Fourth is user error. You are doing something a little bit different.

The truth is probably a combination of all four.

What ammo where you using each time?

Did the barrel or gun get dropped? Is the crown undamaged?

• Like 1

The Ammo was some cheaper Remington and a blue box of PPU. Both basic ammo and not the best. I've seen slight ammo differences when I try to find the sweet spot for my gun, but nothing this bad. 

If it were me I would have stayed and tested it more and really examined the barrel placement in the slide more, but my friend wanted to move on. He'll have to try new ammo as he is almost out so will recommend better ammo for the test. 

Was just wondering if the spring could be bad or the barrel doesn't seat evenly, etc. And if anyone has heard of such issues.
But that again would mean a broken gun. I'll have to check his sites more closely too. 

Thanks. 

I've had issues where I get a significant change in POI with change in bullets. i.e. jacketed vs coated lead. But 6" at 15 yards is a LOT. 

I'd examine the barrel, slide, and rails of the gun. make sure they look right and nothing is worn, cracked, etc. If you change the barrel lock up, you can move POI by a LOT. 

• Like 1