John Willett

Questions for NJ State Police Firearms Unit at NJ SAFE 2017

Hi folks!  At the New Jersey SAFE Conference this year we will be having the NJ State Police Firearms Unit return.  They will have a speaker answer some pre-submitted questions from the stage early in the program and will also have a table where they will engage with attendees individually.  As a result, I need some questions to submit to them and the forums here were my best source for questions last time.  I'd like to keep the thread focused on the questions for the State Police, if you are interested in more information about the conference, you can reach me at [email protected] or visit the website at njsafecon.net  

Fire away!

• Like 1

I guess the question I have for them is what involvement do they have in the P2P and FID process if any,  and why does it take the individual barracks so long to process the P2P and FID paperwork.  

• Like 4

I just saw T Bill's question as I was typing... but I'd like to be even more specific and pointed... and hope that you would ask them a multi-part question:

Judging from information posted on here about permit waiting times, many of the NJSP barracks are the worst offenders when it comes to missing the 30-day required time limit to issue permits. Clearly, there are MANY issues with the process itself that are antiquated and problematic --- out of date technology such as an older multi-part form that requires a particular type of printer, a centralized process with a ridiculous distribution system for  approved permits (whereby barracks "occasionally" send troopers by car to pick them up), etc. 

• Where exactly are you on improving that overall process?
  • What specific steps are being changed/improved?
  • By what date can we expect a new, improved (and legally compliant!) system to be in place?
  • Can we have your verbal assurance, here today, that the improvements will move forward regardless of who becomes governor? (After all, it's the LAW).
  • Does anyone in charge at the NJSP see this for what it is - a terrible public relations problem that erodes the credibility of your agency in the eyes of many of NJ's law-abiding citizens? 
  • Like 5

This is not aimed at anyone in particular, just a friendly reminder from someone that works in an extremely conservative municipality and is a staunch supporter of the 2A, who is assigned to speak publicly whenever the subject of "Gun Rights" is brought up in my community.

Remember folks - NJSP is only the enforcement arm. They don't make the laws. They don't name or define the criteria for assault weapons. They don't write the policies governing permitting, etc... The legislature makes the laws, then the AG/NJDCJ figures out how to implement the laws into practice in a way the NJSC will deem Constitutional*. 

We finally have a real live person in DSG Bloom that is open to our requests and believes in sharing info with the public. He is a big believer in the 2A. He actually puts stuff in writing via Email! I know for a fact that he has to regularly measure what he wants to say against what he's allowed to say. He knows the system is jacked. Unfortunately he is in no position to fix it directly and he is not going to bad mouth his agency.

Having someone like DSG Bloom available to us has been a long time coming. Let's not put him in a bad spot by making him speculate on things he can't control and shouldn't guess about. Making him choose between personally held beliefs and official policy:State law at an event like this is uncomfortable at best, self defeating and career ending at worst.

Asking specifics regarding the laws we currently have will yield the best results. Any question that requires speculation on the future - especially with the elections looming - will be hard to answer.

*We may not agree with it, but somewhere a judge has deemed our firearm laws acceptable as they currently stand.

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, High Exposure said:

Having someone like DSG Bloom available to us has been a long time coming. Let's not put him in a bad spot by making him speculate on things he can't control and shouldn't guess about. Making him choose between personally held beliefs and official policy:State law at an event like this is uncomfortable at best, self defeating and career ending at worst.

Asking specifics regarding the laws we currently have will yield the best results. Any question that requires speculation on the future - especially with the elections looming - will be hard to answer.

I can't speak to anyone else's current or upcoming questions, but I can only speak to my own. Your point is well-taken... asking about LAWS that might occur under one prospective governor or another is pretty pointless. However, since you're experienced in this area, would you agree...

• they're looking for pre-submitted questions because they want an opportunity to first vet the Q&A through the chain of command? 
  • any deemed too "prickly" will simply be ignored anyway? (I would assume these speakers are pretty deft at that!)
  • however, those uncomfortable questions might also serve a secondary purpose of letting that police force know where citizen dissatisfactions lie? So why not send in the questions? (Honestly, I assumed they'll take only the least controversial questions...or they'll "soften" the hardball questions ones. That's the M.O. at corporate events anyway... I assume it's the same here). 
  • as to my specific questions --- how THEY are (or are not) complying with current laws are perfectly appropriate questions, would you agree? and that their compliance (or timeline for compliance) really should be irrelevant of who's in the Gov's mansion?
  • Like 2

HE has to make his name official. [emoji6]

So I'll just re-reiterate what I said in his official capacity.[emoji16]

DSG 'Brett' Bloom is a great guy and a great believer of the 2A...

Be nice.... he will try answer everyone.
We need more people like him.[emoji1303]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 2

Peel - good to go on all points. Like I said - friendly reminder to all, nothing specific. 

5 minutes ago, bhunted said:

HE has to make his name official. emoji6.png

So I'll just re-reiterate what I said in his official capacity.emoji16.png

DSG 'Brett' Bloom is a great guy and a great believer of the 2A...

Be nice.... he will try answer everyone.
We need more people like him.emoji1303.png

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

He worked hard to make DSG. That should be recognized if he is acting in his official capacity.

• Like 1

Peel - good to go on all points. Like I said - friendly reminder to all, nothing specific. 

He worked hard to make DSG. That should be recognized if he is acting in his official capacity.

For sure, but he's like one of the guys..... then call him DSG Brett Bloom.

When I talk to him, I call him Brett. He calls me John.... good to go. [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have never met the man face to face. He is DSG Bloom when acting professionally and Mr. Bloom otherwise - until he gives me permission to call him anything else.

I was raised to say Mr, Mrs, Miss, and Ms and to use titles and honorifics as necessary when addressing strangers or if I am talking about a friend/acquaintance that would be a stranger to the person I am talking to.

DSG Bloom is the only person to give permission to call him Brett. Not me.

Not meant to be on a high horse, just the way I was raised.

Now, back to your regularly scheduled topic. ;)

• Like 1

I find myself agreeing with Mrs. Peel when it comes to the mechanics of the system.  Clearly no one Trooper can alter the laws but navigating through them efficiently to best serve could definitely be looked at.  I too was a victim of the "pony express" system.  My patience aside, it cost me a dear two weeks of time on a carefully dated permit.  Perhaps a currier making the rounds.  Even a privatized one.  I for one would prefer to apply all the way to Trenton directly and return for pick-up then have the rest of the paperwork pony expressed to my barracks rather than the multi-month ordeal.  The hardship of deals lost, storage fees, deposits lost, etc. is an unfair burden placed when in this day of highways and electronics this system can certainly use a stream lining in this simple area.

Also if there's a barracks nearer to our work or home, but not the one which serves our community, can we apply there.  Again the paperwork would have to eventually travel to our "home barracks".  But the customers service would be complete without the hardship of losing work time etc.

On a personal note, What more can you tell me of Sgt. Bloom.  Troop or barracks maybe.  I believe he is the guy that got involved in helping me.  3 days after inquiry. 

Brett Bloom

Det. Sgt. #5239

NJSP Firearms Investigation Unit

Division Headquarters

PO Box 7068

West Trenton NJ 08628-0068

United States of America

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bhunted said:

Brett Bloom

Det. Sgt. #5239

NJSP Firearms Investigation Unit

Division Headquarters

PO Box 7068

West Trenton NJ 08628-0068

United States of America

Yeah.  He's our guy.  I owe him some gratitude. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DirtyDigz said:

"Can you verify that having previously been denied a NJ handgun carry permit due to lack of justifiable need, in of itself, is not a factor that would prevent approval of future NJ FID card or Pistol Purchase Permit applications?"

Great question...! And unless someone on here knows the answer(?)... I would also ask this:

If the denial of a NJ carry permit was due only to lack of "justifiable need" is official documentation provided that clearly states that?

Because now I'm also wondering... could a denial of a NJ concealed carry license also jam you up if you moved away and applied for anything firearms-related in another state? If so, applicants should not bear the cost and inconvenience of tracking down proof to clear their reputations... it should be supplied automatically upon any denial it seems to me.

3 hours ago, DirtyDigz said:

"Can you verify that having previously been denied a NJ handgun carry permit due to lack of justifiable need, in of itself, is not a factor that would prevent approval of future NJ FID card or Pistol Purchase Permit applications?"

I can attest that being denied a carry permit has no bearing whatsoever on future P2P applications.  I have 2nd person personal knowledge of this multiple times over.  Mueller, the guy that was kidnapped TWICE by the same motorcycle gang and DENIED a CCW later sued (front page coverage in ANJRPC's News & Briefs) & was granted his CCW in Sussex Co. after being DENIED his carry permit.  Next time he went thru a NICS, he passed w/o incident.  Ditto for Albert Almeida from "Party of Six".  Albert wrote about it extensively both on this forum and his Facebook page.  He also wrote that he has never had to write any explanation(s) of any denials on ANY application for P2P's before, during OR since he sued & won his court battle.  Every one of Albert's P2P's went thru w/o incident.

It is my opinion that although it's a great question, it's one that has already been answered.  It's also the opinion of many 2A Patriots such as myself (and tons of others) that the FEAR instilled by the possible denial has resulted in fewer applications for carry permits on a larger scale the likes of which are used against us when stats are reported:  "More than 90% of CCW applications are APPROVED, so there isn't a problem with "the system" as it appears to be working fine"....

At SOME point, it is my belief that we all ought to apply en-mass for our carry permits so we can all be denied by NJ, thus proving once and for all that "May Issue" state of NJ is in reality a "NO ISSUE" state.  Then we file a Federal Class Action seeking relief.  In other words, we "turn the tables" on the statisticians^^^.  Currently less than 1,300 CCW's exist in NJ, most are RPO's (retired Police Officers) in a state with a population of 9 MILLION.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Smokin .50 said:

It is my opinion that although it's a great question, it's one that has already been answered.  It's also the opinion of many 2A Patriots such as myself (and tons of others) that the FEAR instilled by the possible denial has resulted in fewer applications for carry permits on a larger scale the likes of which are used against us when stats are reported:  "More than 90% of CCW applications are APPROVED, so there isn't a problem with "the system" as it appears to be working fine"....

At SOME point, it is my belief that we all ought to apply en-mass for our carry permits so we can all be denied by NJ, thus proving once and for all that "May Issue" state of NJ is in reality a "NO ISSUE" state.  Then we file a Federal Class Action seeking relief.  In other words, we "turn the tables" on the statisticians^^^.  Currently less than 1,300 CCW's exist in NJ, most are RPO's (retired Police Officers) in a state with a population of 9 MILLION.

Rosey - I agree that it's already been answered "anecdotally" based on the experience of a few, but I'd really like an answer direct from a representative of the NJSP "on the record" - ideally video recorded and put up on youtube.

I think seeing that would do more to dispell the fear of getting denied for CCW than hearing anecdotally about "a couple of guys had no problem".

I agree that a coordinated "apply to be denied" effort would blow a big hole in NJ's defense the next time they have to testify in a court action about what % of CCW applications are granted.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, DirtyDigz said:

Rosey - I agree that it's already been answered "anecdotally" based on the experience of a few, but I'd really like an answer direct from a representative of the NJSP "on the record" - ideally video recorded and put up on youtube.

I think seeing that would do more to dispell the fear of getting denied for CCW than hearing anecdotally about "a couple of guys had no problem".

I agree that a coordinated "apply to be denied" effort would blow a big hole in NJ's defense the next time they have to testify in a court action about what % of CCW applications are granted.

I totally get where you're coming from, and I agree with you.  I stand corrected.  It would be nice to get it all on video.  It would go a long way to correcting what I call, "Chicken Little Complex" among gun owners :) .  I sometimes forget that not everyone on the forum has 46 years behind the trigger & had a HS teacher hand them a box of US Navy .38 Spl. Tracer to put in their locker to take home on the bus after school :) 

Didn't mean to "stray", merely to "hash-out", which is what a forum is used for.

Keep in mind EVERYONE, that there are SOME questions better left UNASKED....  We don't want to give the other side ammo and/or ideas of how to SCREW US with more insane restrictions.  Carefully crafted questions, written succinctly like Peel's, is what we're aiming for.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Smokin .50 said:

Carefully crafted questions, written succinctly like Peel's, is what we're aiming for.

I am interested in gathering any questions folks have.  Don't worry too much about how it's written, if its a repeat, or whether someone asks a question you think might be obvious.  We are brainstorming here.  In a week or two all the submissions will be synthesized into one coherent list before being passed along.  

• Like 2

"Can you give us any color into how NJ is considering regulating stun guns after the recent consent decree removing their complete ban?  Has the NJSP been asked for input on any pending regulations?  We understand the 180 day period for NJ to come up with new regulations is coming to an end in October."

• Like 2

5 hours ago, DirtyDigz said:

+1

"Gubernatorial candidate Phil Murphy has pledged in his campaign that "All gun sales should be subject to a tax that will fund law enforcement, drug treatment centers, and mental health services."  Has the NJSP advised Mr. Murphy or his campaign on any aspect of this proposed tax?"

"Gubernatorial candidate Phil Murphy has pledged in his campaign that he "...would require individuals to register their firearms kept in the state."  Can you speculate on how a mandatory registration system for all firearms kept in NJ would be  implemented and enforced?"

• Like 2